2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For you Hunters

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 07:45 AM
SHANE_2
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For you Hunters

I know I have touched on this before, but here it goes again. Where do you transport, carry, store your guns? What do you carry? Mainly talking long guns (rifles, shotguns). I just think the gun storage in these things suck. I can't get over it. I did buy the Weathergaurd single lid cross bed powdercoat black toolbox to carry mine. But just wandering what others do. Also if you carry a pistol where do you put it as well? Just trying to get more ideas on what would work, what I could do. I carry a pistol as well in a soft case, it fits right between the seat and center console.

Shane

Old 11-28-2004, 07:50 AM
Jrock909
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally use my overhead carpeted shelf for rifles and shotguns in my 92 F-150 regular cab beast of a truck....

Old 11-28-2004, 07:57 AM
jbone108
Senior User
I put my long gun/deer rifle behind the seat it stays in a hard case it fits well all the rest of my hunting stuff keeps it from falling over. I keep my pistol on my hip most of the time but when I do leave it in the truck it in the center concole. I hate the idea of leaving a gun in my truck for some crack head to steal.

Old 11-28-2004, 08:33 AM
Curveman
Junior User
I have a Retrax bedcover so I just throw 'em in the back in their cases and lock it up. My carry pistol stays in my pocket. (342PD).

Old 11-28-2004, 09:55 AM
SHANE_2
Senior User
Well I have a supercrew, so my seat does not fold forward. That is probably my biggest complaint with this truck. The fact that my Superduty crewcab seat folded forward and there was alot of storage back there. This truck doesn't fold forward and theres crap for storage of guns, pillow, blankets, jackets, etc. I have 3 kids, so hence the pillows/blankets on trips.

Shane

Old 11-28-2004, 12:33 PM
Carnivore
Senior User
i just carry mine inside the back seat.

Old 11-28-2004, 05:02 PM
keith Ruge
Senior User
I also lay my rifle on the back seat,Ive gone down some bumpie roads and it stayed on the seat as far as the pistal I can carry mine all the time

Old 11-28-2004, 05:10 PM
SHANE_2
Senior User
Well like I said above I have 3 kids. Doubt they'd like my 270 laying across their laps on the rear seat!!! Nore would I even think of laying it there.

Shane

Old 11-28-2004, 05:28 PM
keith Ruge
Senior User
I was in Wally What and they had a gun "rifle" rack that you could hang on top of your back,seat it looked realy good but the hooks that went over the top of your seat wasnt wide enough ,it would hold two maybe four rifles

Old 11-29-2004, 02:06 AM
Birdhunter1
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I have a reg. cab 04 f-150 and I just slide my .30-.30 in behind the seats and it sits almost under the seats but behind them, you'd have to see it but it can hardly be seen but I can whip it out to shoot coyotes at a moments notice. My shotguns just sit right there next to my .30-.30 unless I'm alone, then I'll have it in the passenger floor/seat area.

I transport my guns in the roll-up gun sacks that are silicone lined and those little dudes are great, they say your gun won't rust if left in it and in a month i haven't had one do so. My .30-.30 is almost always in my truck, my bird gun is in it 90% of the time. I also have the soft sided hard cases and even a two gun hard case but I don't like either of them. I also have the case my Beretta shotgun came in but you have to break the gun down to store it in that case.

Smetimes I may transport my shotgun, or mine and my hunting partners guns in the dog box in the back of the truck. There is enough space to hold four hunting vests, my insulated bibs, four shotguns and my dog neccesities.

Old 11-29-2004, 08:19 AM
Steenbak
Freshman User
I've considered getting one of these from Cabelas:

But as of right now, I don't have any kids to cart along in the back, so the guns usually live on the floor.

Old 11-29-2004, 07:30 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here in the Peoples Repuklic of Kalifornia, You aren't supposed to transport guns. For those who live here and do, check the state's 16 foot law, and rear lock laws.
When I head up to the range, I put them under my Fold-a-cover. Room for everybodys favorite toy. I use hard cases and soft bags, so everything stays neat.
For folks who live in the Free States, (or Jesusland as Kalifornians call it,) I think the Reg cab would work great for slipping a long gun behind the seat. The mini-door seems made for that. And a 4 inch model 29 fits perfectly in the center console...
Chris, (who wishes he could live in a Free State....)

Old 11-29-2004, 07:45 PM
DAThomas9
Junior User
Chris,

As a generally embarrassed subject of the PRK, I must admit my ignorance of the 16 foot law, or the rear lock law. Can you elaborate?

Old 11-29-2004, 07:56 PM
bambishooten
Senior User
can't help on the long guns ( I have a screw) if you have buckets then put it in the consol, if 60 40 split, put pistol between the crack of the seat, a PPK will fit under the drivers seat as well, the hang behind from Cabela's looks good to me also, they aslo have gun storage where the sun visors hang from them & I think Stylin Concepts & the Sportsman Guide catalog

Old 11-29-2004, 09:08 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DAThomas9, Sorry to be cryptic. Among the weird laws in our strange state, Guns may not be kept in the passenger compartment. This especially includes the glove box. Even if locked. In theory, (and in practice, if the wrong cop stops you,) the gun must be carried 'locked in a different area than the passenger area'. Trunk, camper, etc. anywhere that there are no people. Friend of mine spent the night in jail, because he was sleeping in the camper, (legal at that time,) of his brother-in-laws truck as it went down interstate 40. There was a small handgun under the mattress, in a dufflebag. Not legal.
So where do you carry a gun in a Van, Motorcycle, SUV? Frankly, you can't. Of course people do, and most cops don't enforce the law. Many don't know the law. (If you ever need legal advice, Don't ask a cop. That ain't his department.)

16 foot refers to the distance the law says you must be from the gun, if it's not locked up, i.e. motorhome, large truck. Got a tape measure? The cop does...

Naturally, the law will be interpeted by the cop, then the DA, then finally in court. So your mileage may vary...
For real fun, visit your local gun club, when a dozen or so CHP (California Highway Patrol) officers are shooting. Ask them about something like 'how do you determine if a shotgun is too short to be lawful? Take a video camera, you might get a fight. You will always start an argument. I've never heard two agree on this.

Anyway, we are WAY off topic, so by for now
Chris
(No, I'm not a cop. My dad was, and I hang out with too darn many of them.)

Quick Reply: For you Hunters