88' fuel system ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 06:52 PM
Beastybroncothe2nd
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88' fuel system ?

having multiple problems with my fuel system here is how it started
it barely started on my thanksgiving travel so i didnt shut it off for seveal hours till i got there and then i could not hear the fuel pump running

i replaced the fuel pump and filter and it didnt work, then i discoverd there was no power so i checked the fuel pump relay, and the control wires for it didnt have hardly any power

so i replaced the eec relay, that didnt help much still only about 3 volts to the fuel pump relay control wires, then i hotwired the relay (temporarily till i find the fuse or short) and got power the the fuel pump, but still no pressure

so i am completely lost any help would be appreciated

Old 11-28-2004, 09:37 PM
thelonerangerxlt
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Beastie, check the fuel inertia shut-off switch. It's probably on the passenger side footwell, under the carpet. Push the reset button several times and see if that has any effect.......
then i hotwired the relay (temporarily till i find the fuse or short) and got power the the fuel pump, but still no pressure
I'm not sure about this; does the fuel pump run? If it dosen't run but you have voltage going to it, maybe the ground wire is disconnected or poorly grounded.......

Old 11-28-2004, 09:44 PM
Beastybroncothe2nd
New User
what i mean by hotwire is that i manually connected the ignition wire and fuel pump power wires so there is power and i hear the pump running

so based on info i have gotten from others on this site i figure either the rear pump is not working, not getting power, or not getting enough power and the computer is recognizing this and not giving the power to the relay

Old 11-29-2004, 07:43 AM
jdmorg
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by thelonerangerxlt
Beastie, check the fuel inertia shut-off switch. It's probably on the passenger side footwell, under the carpet. Push the reset button several times and see if that has any effect........
I gotta tell you, that I'm almost totally helpless here, especially when you bring electric into the equation, but the inertia switch is one the driver side, stashed well up on the floor pan/firewall, just behind the dash. Nothing to remove to get to it...mine has a red tab on the top (88 EFI 302 4x4) The inertia switch would shut off fuel completely though. SOrry I couldn't help more.