Sponsored by:

Snow tires - your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 12:51 AM
heavnbound
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snow tires - your thoughts

Ok this may be the proverbial Pandora's Box but what are your thoughts/opinions/beliefs on the best snow and ice tire for the Excursion?

Here in Alaska, the current rage is the Bridgestone Blizzak, but I don't know if they make one for the Excursion. What are y'all running (those of you with snow that is) and how do you like them?

Old 11-25-2004, 11:50 PM
PatsPOS
Elder User
Since the X is well-balanced front-to-rear, it's my opinion that just about any M & S tire is gonna do well. We get some decent snow here in the PA hills, and I got my dad a set of Mastercraft Courser A/Ts load range E(made by Cooper Tire...basically the same as a Cooper Discoverer A/T) for his X almost two years ago. I've driven it out of his driveway in 2WD through 8" of snow with no spin at all (although getting through the drift that the PennDOT plow trucks leave usually requires 4WD).

My dad was stationed at Eilson (sp) AFB in the early '60s...I've seen some pics of how much it CAN snow up there! If you're trying to bust a trail through a foot of fresh snow for a couple miles, dedicated mud tires might be the way to go. But if you're worried about mostly highway miles on hardpacked snow, most any mud/snow tire will get you where you're going in an X.

JUST my 2¢..I've had mud tires on my '89 150 since I bought it and I have yet to get stuck in the snow.
Pat

Last edited by PatsPOS; 11-25-2004 at 11:54 PM.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:22 AM
heavnbound
Elder User
Thanks for the info Patspos, that's kinda what I have found on my other vehicles. Never tried the Blizzak, but I have used other M&S tires with good luck. Siping also is a good idea as it really helps. But with new tire technology, I was just wondering what is out there nowadays. And I know what you mean about DOT's making it difficult to get out of the driveway...they do the same here. If you catch them while they are working, they are pretty good at giving your driveway a quick swipe to clear the berm, but if you are not home...SURPRISE!!!

Tell your Dad the Eielson hasn't changed much...I've lived in the Fairbanks area since 1967 and while the people have changed and the planes are more advanced, the mission and purpose for Eielson hasn't changed much. It's gotten bigger - there's more housing and a bigger base- but other than that it's the same old place!

Old 11-26-2004, 08:17 PM
Toyman
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Hey I've got a buddy up there at the base, he has been trying to get me to come up and play in the snow for a couple years. I think I need to take him up on that.

Anyway I've got the Wrangler AT/s in a 305 on stock wheels. I rarely use 4X4, for day to day driving.

Toyman

Old 11-26-2004, 11:43 PM
heavnbound
Elder User
Sure come on up! I'll show you places in the snow where it doesn't matter WHAT you drive...you're gonna get stuck! LOL!