1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V10 Gas vs Diesel "The Truth"

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 05:25 PM
MobeyDick
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a used dealer in Douglas GA. that has 2 PSDs. Both look good for what they are CC Duely and CC SB SRW both black or dark Blue or somethimg. This guy always has 1 or 2 but he wants more than what I could but one new for them!!

Old 11-27-2004, 08:02 PM
dougger222
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So Mobey, you looking to get something newer? I've thought about it to but it's cost so much money to set a truck up the way you want it would be a waste of money for me to upgrade now. Thinking when it's paid off here in a year in a half it will be used as a plow truck, by then it will have about 220K+ miles on it.

I've noticed since the 03 6.0 has been on the market the price for lower mileage crew cab 4x4 lariat diesels have been pretty high. Perhaps after all the negative flack the 6.0's got many potential new buyers decided to buy used instead.

Most Ford dealerships I visit will have more diesel trucks than gassers on the used truck lot, mainly because in the past few years the diesels have been outselling the rest. Reportedly 70% or more new Excursions built since 04 have been 6.0 powered. In 2000 MY 1 in 10 or more had the 7.3.

Old 11-28-2004, 08:45 AM
MobeyDick
Posting Guru
Actually, I'm going to keep the one I have even if I buy a new one!! Mines a White 01 CC LB 4X4 PAID FOR. Not the easist to find! I was looking at a 05 Reg Cab 4X4!! I told them if the money was right I would trade them. They didn'y say they would give me any money for the swap, ( I might would have traded with then if they gave me $3,000 ) then I told them give me a price out the door and I was thinking the 05 would be some where around $32,000 out the door! ( It's all I would pay anyway! ) They come up with $33,650 I told them we were close. He started adding taxes and I'm like WTH, so sense they just wasted my time I fugured I would waist there's!! I got to leading them on like I was actually going to buy the thing like that!! They sure was dissapointed when I drove away!!

Old 11-28-2004, 09:04 AM
dougger222
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dealerships like trade ins, it's were they make most of there money. Your 01 sounds nice! Last year I spent 3 hours at a Ford dealership looking at a 01 x cab long bed 4x4 diesel. The salesman said $18K (90K miles) but after sitting down and talking trade it the price jumped to $24K!!! The highest retail value I could find on the truck was $22K. The trucks rotors were shot, driver side mirror didn't work, front and rear bumpers had dents and there was a dent on the front fender and a huge scratch on the box. When they offered me $2K for the 95 Bronco which wholesales for $5,500 I asked for the keys back and left. My wife and I have told the story to several people and we'll never go near that dealership again.

Old 11-28-2004, 09:32 AM
Budkole
Senior User
Im in the same boat, I want a diesel and my v10 excursion is paid for. I think that best option is to just buy one used and keep the X. Trade in sucks!!!

Old 11-28-2004, 12:31 PM
t_j82
Elder User
Originally Posted by dougger222
SLE,

Give me the zip to the area in ND that has all the PSD's. If there really a dime a dozen they must have to give them away over there. Funny you never see dealerships in ND selling used Powerstrokes on Ebay. Perhaps I'll search over in ND versus Texas for my next used diesel.

Out in Montana a few months ago I saw more newer diesel trucks for sale then gas trucks. Even though the diesels out numbered the gassers at least 2 to 1 when new at dealerships the used trucks with diesels were still for sale considerably higher than the gassers. Here in MN at a Dodge dealership you'll see at least 10 Hemi's to 1 Cummins truck, out in Kalispell near our Hotel the dealership had about 3 times the Cummins than Hemi's.
The reason you saw so many newer PSD's around Kalispell is they import alot of 1yr olds in from Canada and just change the spedo. I bought my '02 that way and it did save some dough! The reason that the doggie dealer there has more Diesel than gas there is most everyone wants Diesel for the mileage and in "normal" times Diesel is cheaper than gas. Also, there is a lot of heavy work done with the trucks not to mention that people there just think Diesel is cool.

Hope you enjoyed our state..........

Old 11-28-2004, 03:20 PM
Dr_j
Freshman User
The truth

This was a fun one. here's my 2 cents:

Budkole wrote " the diesel pulls no better than the gasoline engine although it will last longer."

A gas and a diesel engine can both pull the same load, the diesel can do it more efficiently and economically.

Budkole wrote, "I've seen articles written time and again where someone insists that torque is much more important than horsepower. This is actually wrong."

No, this IS correct. Horsepower is a function of torque.

Here's how to prove it. Can you have a high torque zero horsepower?
Yes, they're called electric motors. They can produce extreme torque without horsepower.
How you ask?
If you lock a motor from turning, you can apply power to the motor to produce torque WITHOUT
horsepower.
Again, horsepower is a function of torque.
At a doorknob, the action of turning the **** is TORQUE; the SPEED at which you turn the **** is horsepower.
So, can you turn a **** without torque?? Nope. Torque comes from Latin torqu re, meaning to twist.

Budkole wrote " In fact, a simple comparison of the manufacturers specs clearly shows that a 190HP diesel with 420ftlbs of torque is nearly identical to the performance of a 195HP diesel with 555ftlbs of torque. If the torque theory were correct then the second engine should be much better; it isn't.

YES IT IS. Look at the numbers. You’re looking at the 5 hp difference, but you don't understand the 135ft/lbs difference in torque. It’s like two baseball players at the plate. One has a telephone pole for a bat the other a pencil.

Budkole wrote "The second notion is that a diesel is strong enough to pull a big load up hills that a gasoline engine won't. This is wrong too. HP is always the deciding factor. Low HP is low HP whether it is with gasoline or diesel.

Gas and diesel can both pull the same load. The diesel can do it more efficiently and economically, but there is again a confusion of torque and horsepower. A high torque, low horsepower engine can pull your house off the foundation, just not very fast.
A high torque, high horsepower engine could do it very quickly, but they both can do it.

Budkole wrote, "The reason these comparisons are typically wrong is that people overlook the gearing. A diesel develops torque at low rpm whereas gasoline engines rev higher. Yet, time and again people will compare a diesel and gasoline engine with nearly the same gear ratio. This is wrong. To get similar performance, the gasoline engine always has to be geared higher. If a diesel has a 3.7 axel then the gasoline engine will need 4.88 (not 3.9, 4.1 or 4.3). A gasoline engine with a 5.38 is about equal to a diesel with a 4.1.

You have just explained why the diesel is a more efficient engine.
If a diesel can do the same work with a 3.73/4.1 gearset that a gas engine would need 5.38's to match, then you have proven, in your own words, that the diesel with the greater torque at a lower rpm is more efficient than a gas engine.

Budkole wrote, " However, you will find that the gasoline engines are typically geared too low both because higher gearing will decrease gas mileage even further and also because higher gearing lowers acceleration.

Really??
If higher gearing lowers acceleration then how come top fuel dragsters with 480CI Hemi's producing 6000+ hp and turning sub 5 second times in the 1/4 mile use 6.14 and higher gears? Why not 4.10's or 3.23’s??

Budkole wrote, " Don't compare a gasoline and diesel with the same gearing; the diesel will win everytime.

Not necessarily

Budkole wrote, "Now, let's get to the real issues and avoid the armchair engineering and ego based preferences.

Lets do it!

Budkole wrote, "Downhill drag. The gasoline engine wins easily. When going downhill, you can always shift down to get engine braking with a gasoline engine. Unfortunately, this doesn't work with diesel because diesels have much lower cranking resistance.

Hmmm.. Problem here, the v10 has 8:1 or so compression and the psd is 17:1 compression. Which one has more cranking resistance??

Budkole wrote, " The diesel requires an exhaust brake to match the downhill braking of a gasoline engine.

First thing we agree upon, there is no help from compression braking with a diesel because it doesn't have a throttle plate to control airflow through the engine like a gas engine does.

Budkole wrote, "Long haul. A diesel lasts longer because it is built heavier and turns at a slower rpm. A gasoline engine is usually good for 100,000 whereas a diesel can easily last 300,000. If you are driving long distances and racking up miles, diesel is better. If you are driving to local parks and not using the truck for much else, gasoline is fine.

Gasoline engines are RARE in Europe where the main engine is diesel. Used for driving to local parks, the store and general commuting.

Budkole wrote, "Cold weather starting. No comparison. The diesel requires an oil pan heater that is plugged into 110AC to keep the engine warm. This is only a factor if you will be parking in cold weather (below 20 degrees F) with no electricity.

Not a problem, when in cold weather or when the seasons change. Refineries change the formulation of diesel to promote rapid starting. This is known as number 1 diesel, as the temperature changes number 2 diesel is the common fuel. Diesels use glow plugs to preheat the combustion chamber before starting.

Dr_j

Old 11-28-2004, 07:19 PM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
well said

Old 11-29-2004, 07:39 AM
SLE
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just so you guys can quit crusifying me-

"Banks don't care if it's got a V8 diesel or a 4 cylinder hybrid"

When you give them the vin number they know exactly what it has.

"does a v-10 get 17 mpg emtpy"

Try reading my whole post - I said at one point that my 10er is a fuel burning pig and nothing about it getting good mileage or better mielage than a psd.

"Give me the zip to the area in ND that has all the PSD's" -

Eide Ford in bismarck and Bill Barth Ford in mandan alway have 2-5 on the lot - M J Mcguire ford in Rugby and Westlies in Minot usually run 1 or two through in a given week and I don't know the name of the one in Devils Lake but they seem to keep a pretty good selection. Also my uncle currently has 2 Cumins - 2 Duramaxes - and 2 Strokers on his lot right now in grandforks. Didn't look in fargo but would imagine they have a variety since they are the largest city in ND - Also Magic City Auto in Minot always has 2 or three on the lot, at one point they had 5 used 6.0 diesels all lined up. I don't know all of the zip codes but if you are serious I can post some phone numbers.

The mistake I made was when I was searching I talked to about a half a dozen dealers or so and gave them to vague of a description on what I wanted - I had at least one call evey other day for 3 weeks untill I narrowed down my selection. If you are seriously interested in getting into a PSD call a few of these dealers and tell them what you want. you will definatly get a response if you are serious and upfront with them.

I'm not saying anything bad about the psd, I said nothing about a vehical with a million miles on it have xxxx as a book value - How many of you are buying used trucks with 150++++ on them. I guess I would rather put the first 150 on my self and then let some one else have it untill it dies. I was looking at trucks with 15k to 50K on them.

My entire point is that there is not an 8k differnce in these trucks around here- maybe where your from there is but when I can spend an afternoon driving around and see 15-20 psds I wouldn't exactly call them extinct or rare! In that same Time I would maybe see 3-6 V10s and a dozen 5.4s (in superdutys) - Here in ND diesels are a way of life with half of our population being farmers and ranchers. I did't say every used truck was in the best condition but they are around.

as for gas motors getting miles put on them my dad has a mid 90s grand prix with 3.1 liter motor - the car runs great with no major problems at 256,000 miles - I'm not sure if it'll ever die. Most of these are hwy miles and he has replace multiple fuel pumps, alternaters and ect. but still kind of amazing - the whole car is just plainly wore out though- seats are broke - door handles are broke - it been though 2 radios - whole car rattles and makes sounds when driving it - the point here is that at 200+k even if a motor and trany lasts a million miles - the rest of the vehical isn't going to last - yeh you can replace ever piece on it but then how econmical is that. I'm sure a Super Duty will hold up better than a mid 90s prix but its the same concept. The old man has also bought a new taurus for when the prix dies.

Once again I'm out of breath and time - and once again ford trucks are the best made, period.

Old 11-29-2004, 08:44 AM
SLE
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dougger222
Most Ford dealerships I visit will have more diesel trucks than gassers on the used truck lot, mainly because in the past few years the diesels have been outselling the rest. Reportedly 70% or more new Excursions built since 04 have been 6.0 powered. In 2000 MY 1 in 10 or more had the 7.3.
Well said, and this is exactly my point and why I see more psds around than V10s in SDs. It has nothing to do with if they sell or not - Mater is I see more used psds than chevy or dodge diesels - this is a good thing meaning ford is selling and moving more than either of the other two.

supply and demand is the name that makes the game - It's a different game in every state.

Sorry if I come off kind of harsh - were all hear just havin fun -

Old 11-29-2004, 10:00 AM
Customz
Postmaster
Amen Dr J-my thoughts on budkoles post to the T.

Old 11-29-2004, 10:14 AM
Big Dually
Tuned
Ditto Dr_J. Good post and well said.

Old 11-29-2004, 06:58 PM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
Hard to believe that no one's touched this thread since this morning . . .

Old 11-30-2004, 07:35 AM
SLE
Posting Guru
Guess arguing over the same thing gets old after a while - we must all be satisfied with what we drive and adult enough to have respect and not to trash what others are driving; as long as they are fords of course! While I'm on here has anyone tried to change the parking light on the passenger side below the head light. it would be the one on the very side of the lens. look like a pain (didn't look real long) so I dropped it off for warrenty this morning - gotta use the freebees when you can.

Old 11-30-2004, 12:24 PM
Budkole
Senior User
you said it brother, amen

Quick Reply: V10 Gas vs Diesel "The Truth"