1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Complete unhappyness with 1999 ford ranger and 2002 ranger FX4

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2002, 11:28 AM
fordtruckssuck
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sales manager's name was Jason Lesley--a real ***.

Old 01-29-2002, 11:30 AM
fordtruckssuck
Freshman User

Also, no I was not driving the truck on dry roads. It was the first time for engagement and the roads were fully covered with snow. This truck went back to the floor lever engagement, not the electronic ****. I thought they went to the manual engagement to eliminate problems like this?

Old 01-30-2002, 09:23 AM
fstann
New User

Hi,

I don't really want to comment on this thread, but I would like to find out how to get Ford to replace or fix the "Timing Chain Rattle" problem (AKA Knocking Problem). I have a 2001 Ranger Off-Road with the 4.0L SOHC. When I took it to the dealer for the LOUD engine rattle that occurs for the first 5 minutes of operation (when cold), I was shown TSB 14868 which described the problem exactly. The TSB instructs the dealer to perform no service "at this time." It goes on to indicate that it will not affect engine wear. I subsequently wrote the official Ford Customer Service site, and inquired when Ford would be addressing the problem (since every Ranger website I've ever visited makes mention of it). The return e-mail told me to call a Ford Customer Service hotline. The hotline person told me that I would be contacted if Ford Engineering ever issued a recall. I pressed them to find out from Engineering if a recall was in the works, and was told that customer service has no way of asking questions of Engineering - they can only receive bulletins issued by Engineering (amazing). In any case, I would like to find out if anyone has found a way to get this problem resolved. It definitely lowers the resale value of a rather expensive small truck (sticker was 24K), and it's definitely a constant source of irritation. I have purchased 7 Ford products since 1975 because of the good luck that I've had with their product, so I feel somewhat betrayed when it comes to TSB 14868. Whatever engineers at Ford don't think this is a significant problem should be forced to drive one for a few months.

Fred Stann

Old 01-30-2002, 01:55 PM
fordtruckssuck
Freshman User

I told Ford that I was going to sell my truck and that the resale value to someone would be low due to my knocking. Tell them you want to sell the truck and to get on the ball. Demand to speak with the regional engineer and the service director at your dealership. Also demand to have the owner of the dealership present when you speak with the two previously mentioned people. Good luck and hopefully they corrected this problem before 2002, aka my 4.0L. Only at cold starts eh? When, how many miles did you have when this started and did it get louder at time progressed or was it bam, a rattle?

Thanks

Old 01-30-2002, 06:12 PM
ranger99
Senior User

Dude you are truly barking up the wrong tree. This isn't the site for bad mouthing Ford trucks. If you have a legitimate complaint, talk to a dealer, or communicating with Ford. I own a 99 Ranger, which is the third I've owned (1985 and 1997) they're great trucks.

Bob

Old 01-31-2002, 05:07 PM
fordtruckssuck
Freshman User

Yo dude, Bob, like good luck man...

Old 02-01-2002, 12:04 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I thought I would comment regarding sueing Ford - my best advice is to forget it. Years ago, the company I was with sued GM over a underperforming truck we had purchased. We won the first round only to face ongoing litigation. Net result was we got zip and only the lawyers won. They (the builders)just have too many resourses.

I am sure I would feel the same as you if I had the experience you have had, but I can tell you that there are alot of great Rangers out there, including the '99 setting in my driveway. I am sure that most of those that use this site share can share your anger but not your conclusion. Best of luck.

Old 02-08-2002, 03:15 PM
97Rangerman
New User

Geez, I know I'm catching this topic pretty late but I'm having a similar issue getting my 2000 Mustang fixed. The reason why I'm throwing this in is because I called ford corporate 1-800-392-3673 since I just gave up with the people at the dealership and all the managers etc. wanted to side with their people and really weren't concerned that there was a very apparent safety issue. Either way, this is going to be my 5 time taking it back to get it looked at and I'm really thinking lemon law, I love the car, I just don't want it to die like it does while my wife is driving and ending up wrecking it. since this is off topic, if you are still checking up on this thread could you email me with the things you did to get the "ball rolling? I would greatly appreciate it...

Blaise24415(No Email Addresses In Posts!)

Old 02-08-2002, 05:19 PM
kiwikoa
New User

To the guy wanting a good dealership in the Denver/Boulder area..

I have a little story first to tell you. Last year, this dealership which I am about to tell you, had my truck for three days and two nights coming up with nothing as a problem. I was mad and went straight to the owner. He suggested we take my truck on a test drive where he said that squeal noise is a broken seal within the boot, when engaged in 4x4. He took it to the service manager and odered the two matching boots and truck has been fine since, until I put it into 4x4 during our last snow storm and now it does the same thing. Now Sil Tehar has had my truck for two days again telling me they have called the factory to find out what to do. I give Jack an A+ last year for customer interaction but must say I am not getting good vibes from this or from FORD. Sil Tehar once was the best customer satisfaction dealership in the US and that's why I bought 99 Ranger there. For what it's Worth.

Old 02-08-2002, 07:49 PM
rellik74
Senior User

If it was me I would start caling these people every day, be NICE but call the every day without missing any days, If they are in on saturday call them. Make notes of who you talked with and what they said And when they wont take your calls any more you can use that against them when you talk to Ford regional office.

I had the trans replace in my 98 and when I went to get it they wanted the $100 deductable and $160.00 for filters and trans fluid. I told them to put the old fluid and filter in it if its not covered under warrenty. They let me go with the 100 deductable but billed me for the 160.00, I asked them to send a copy of the service order I signed for the fluid and filter, the bill went away but I will never ever go back to this dealer ship again.

Old 02-19-2002, 06:29 PM
sponsellerfd
New User

I also have problems with my ford ranger. the speed/odometer doesnt work, there is the engine knock, the wipers that have a mind of their own, and a door ajar warning light that insists that my doors are open when they arent (after 10 min to an hour it might turn off).
Well, i went to ALLDATA.COM and found the speed sensor and cable are on recall. that is a relief. i called the dealership and they will fix that for no charge (fingers crossed). But, the other things are items of which i have no answer for, nor do i have enough money to pay for all the possible expenses.
I feel bad for mr fordsucks. I really hope he can find help somewhere. Good luck. There's bound to be a dealer out near you who can help you. or just contact the DM like everyone else suggests.
forest

Old 02-19-2002, 06:55 PM
dfuller
New User
Post Complete unhappyness with 1999 ford ranger and 2002 ranger FX4

Old 05-22-2005, 06:03 PM
99DR4X4
Freshman User
same problems here

Bought my 1999 ranger xlt 4x4 one year ago for $5800 with 80,000 miles on it. Second week I owned the truck the 4x4 hubs needed to be replaced-$1100 and after i got it back the 4x4 still failed. Took it to the shop two more times and my mechanichs answer to the unsolveable 4x4 problem was to permaniently lock in the front hubs, what i could have done for free! But i let it go. Second month I owned it the berings got shot up so the halfshafts, hubs, abs sensors, and rotors needed replacing-$800, 3 weeks later the clutch went-another $800. Within three months of owning the truck, i had spent almost $3000 on it. I sold it and got a 1991 chevy 1500, Havent had one problem with that truck 145,000 miles and it is much more reliable than my ranger. I was thinking of getting a 02' FX4, but now am reconsidering after hearing rangers are still giving people problems.

Old 05-22-2005, 06:41 PM
bcjim
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 99DR4X4
I was thinking of getting a 02' FX4, but now am reconsidering after hearing rangers are still giving people problems.
So many prople that you had to dig up a post from over 3 YEARS ago to find them eh?

Old 05-22-2005, 10:25 PM
98xlt4x4
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
. . . . . . . .

Last edited by 98xlt4x4; 05-22-2005 at 10:29 PM. Reason: old post....

Quick Reply: Complete unhappyness with 1999 ford ranger and 2002 ranger FX4