General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

.22 Rifle Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 01:07 AM
twolls
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My choice is the 10/22 for accuracy and my J.C. Higgins with its drop ear stock to make people look twice. Just my 2 cents

Old 01-02-2005, 02:14 AM
patsplace
Senior User
I've never found the stock 10/22 to be very accurate, even when I tried 10-15 types of ammo through it. My custom 10/22 is pretty good but still not really accurate. (MOA & less at 100 yds.) Neat guns though. Have owned one or more forever.
Pat

Old 01-02-2005, 01:52 PM
pchristman
Laughing Gas
Several years ago I was on a job interview with an area plant that manufactures amunition, and I got a tour of the facilities. In the test area, for .22 rounds, they had a contraption made from the action of a 10-22, mounted to a table and an electric motor-driven cam, etc. They tested thousands of rounds a day with it, shooting as fast as it would cycle. Once a week or so they would hose it down with WD-40 and swab it out with a wire brush, and call it good. At the time I saw it, it had been in use for over 10 years without any problems.

Old 01-02-2005, 02:59 PM
stevef100s
Posting Guru
What? 10/22 not accurate? Yours must have a bent barrel, because I certainly would not insult your shooting abilities. My 10/22 is now a tack driver, and was nearly so when it was new and without any mods.

Old 01-02-2005, 08:09 PM
jdembkoski
New User
Originally Posted by patsplace
I've never found the stock 10/22 to be very accurate, even when I tried 10-15 types of ammo through it. My custom 10/22 is pretty good but still not really accurate. (MOA & less at 100 yds.) Neat guns though. Have owned one or more forever.
Pat
same here, got 3-4" patterns at 50 yds when new but with mods it's down to MOA or so.

Old 01-02-2005, 08:17 PM
mech2161
Posting Guru
My 10/22 heavy bbl looks great but doesn't shoot as good as it looks. My 30 yr old Marlin bolt gun out shoots it by far. I've tried to float it, bed it and just about every ammo available. My next step is a Valquartsen bbl and cantilever scope mount.

Old 01-02-2005, 11:20 PM
Birdhunter1
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by mech2161
My 10/22 heavy bbl looks great but doesn't shoot as good as it looks. My 30 yr old Marlin bolt gun out shoots it by far. I've tried to float it, bed it and just about every ammo available. My next step is a Valquartsen bbl and cantilever scope mount.
A bolt action vs. a semi auto, hmmmmm.... I would almost always put my money on a bolt action over a semi auto in any comparison, less moving parts, more solid, etc etc.

Old 01-02-2005, 11:47 PM
mech2161
Posting Guru
Not happy with $300 gun vs $65 gun. Half inch at 50 is the best it will do. Tried 11 different types of ammo. A friend put one together with a bunch of used parts, Green Mtn. bbl. Makes mine look like junk. I just don't think the quality of the 10/22 is what it used to be. The price sure went up. When they started selling to the Marts, volume is good, who cares how they shoot. Same thing happened to Remington.

Old 01-03-2005, 12:19 PM
pchristman
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by mech2161
I've welded on a back lug and pillar-bedded the receiver with 2 screws, floated the barrel, customized trigger to eliminate over-travel, chamfered and polished all the internals and shimmed them up, lengthened the pull and added a scope - but the single one thing that drastically increased its performance was adjusting the headspace. It went from a 2" group to 10 holes in a dime at 50 yards, with cheap Wally World ammo.

Old 01-03-2005, 12:47 PM
fordfury469
Elder User
its not meant to be that accurate, thats why it holds 10 rounds. i have three of them and a marlin and i hate the marlin just feels cheap. want something that shoots 100 yrds dead on buy a .17 or something meant to shoot that far. out of the box stock ruger shoots fine enough for me to pop the heads off of birds at 40 yards.

Old 01-03-2005, 12:54 PM
patsplace
Senior User
Now that's what I call accuracy. If they've got more of the same lot # that produced that accuracy, grab a bunch. That's the short coming in maximum accuracy after a certain point, ammunition inconsistancies. Find a good batch, buy lots. Some of the guys on RF.com have been punching MOA groups on a fairly consistent basis. World class for an auto.
Have you got any pictures of the rear lug and pillar bedding that you did? I epoxy bedded mine and have yet to install the barrel tuner that one of the guys from rimfire.com invented. With good ammo mine will shoot in about a quarter to a half dollar at 50 yards, sometimes a bit better with the odd group that is incredible and the odd one that blows it open with one or two rounds.
That's the really neat feature of the 10/22, if you want to mess with it you can and you can make it better, and better and neater and neater looking and feeling. I've got a stock 10/22 that is an early model and it feels really nice and shoots just fine. Minute of Grouse on a bad day and better on a good day. My Ray Gun shoots great and feels incredible. Mind you, you don't get the Ray Guns for cheap. Sorta like '79 Ford F-250's. Great out of the box and world class with applied TLC.

Pat

Old 01-03-2005, 01:34 PM
wahoo
Senior User
I have to say CZ.

I have two Ruger 10/22s, but I recently shot my uncle's CZ bolt-action .22 and it is in a different class than my Rugers. CZ is made in the Czech Republic and is known for thier semi-auto pistols. It is the best .22 I have ever shot, but it is a bolt-action and not a semi-auto. I don't know if they make a semi-auto rifle.

Old 01-03-2005, 01:46 PM
68torino
Posting Guru
First rule about buying any firearm: Decide what you are going to use it for, plinking and\or hunting. If hunting, what type of game?
Second rule: Decide what calibre based on expected use, and all type of game you will be hunting. Don't buy a small calibre and try to hunt bear nor use a .50 BMG for rabbit.
Third rule: Try guns on in your price range. If a rifle or shotgun, it should mount easy to your shoulder and you should find the sight picture right now without wiggling the gun around, especially with a scope. With a handgun (pistol or revolver) when you pick it up if it does NOT feel good right then and there put it down. You can not make your hand conform to the handgun each time you use it. You can spend money making it fit you but why? The money should go to a gun that fits now and be used for accessories.
If you are new to guns the first thing to do is take a Safety Course first!!!!

Old 01-03-2005, 02:38 PM
patsplace
Senior User
Everything that 68Torino says is the Gospel. I've taught those courses off and on for over 20 years and "It's da truth". One thing we always stressed was that if it's your first gun and you are a novice, bolt action or pump was preferred to semi, and single shot was preferred when initial instruction was in progress. The semi is auto loading and that can make a world of difference to a novice. Can get downright dangerous under the wrong circumstances.

Wahoo - The bolt action CZ that you probably shot is a 452 CZ (I've got the 452 Varmint and to say I'm happy wity it is an understatement) and they are different than the 10/22's, not only are they bolt action but they cost a fair bit more. CZ does build a semi auto, they're not common, give some problems and as far as I know shoot well but not as good as the 452's do.

If you want to see a really beautiful .22 that isn't in the Stratosphere for price, the 452 Brno (CZ) American. So nice that I think that I need one, just because.

Old 01-03-2005, 03:00 PM
Jim Diesel
Junior User
10/22=junk
Best 22 for the money=Marlin 880SQ (SQ for squirrel)
880SQ is now sold with a new model #, 980V
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firear...ion22/980V.htm
Heavy barrel, bolt action...very accurate!
I've owned 2 10/22s with and without 1" heavy barrels...junk!
My 880SQ shoots better with iron sights than either 10/22 with scopes!
Yeah, I know, the sights don't affect the gun. But, even with the advantage of a scope, the 10/22s don't match up to the 880. The 880 cost me about $350 including the peep sight and smithing charges to have it installed. The 10/22 is as bad as the Mini-14. Too bad Ruger doesn't make rifles as good as they do revolvers.

JMO

Quick Reply: .22 Rifle Suggestions