Slight rattle on idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 09:03 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Slight rattle on idle

Today, while 5 star dining (jack in the box drive thru), i noticed that on idle there is an ever-so-slight rattle, but I could not pinpoint the location.
The rattle seemed to be a very fast, vibration type rattle, and the pitch was on the higher end. In other words, it sounded like a thinner metal as opposed to a thicker metal. Almost like a buzzzzzzzing sound.

I would rev it, and it would cease, and as soon as the engine settled down again, it would rattle again.

Any thoughts as what it could be? I know it's hard as hell to give a sound description in a forum, but i figure i'd give it a shot.

I kind of hope maybe my cats are starting to give out, but i really doubt that's what it is. If it is, though, Hi-Flo's here I come!!

P.S. it sounds kinda like this "blbrlbrlbrlblblrblbrlbrlbrbrlbrblr EEEH EEEEH EEEEH krupf krupf PPPST choog choog choog"

Rman

Old 11-19-2004, 07:20 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
ALRIGHT!!!!

thanks to everyone who helped out and gave an opinion. I know have a pretty good idea (no idea) as to what it is.

Actually, I forgot about it, just stopped paying attention all together!!! I'll just rev harder and keep the music up!!!!

Old 11-22-2004, 08:24 PM
Busa01
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rman, there's a duplicate thread going on here.

It's your cats, completely normal and typical inherent problem with our trucks. Here is another guy that posted this same thread that we were discussing this same problem.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=309796

Tom

Old 11-22-2004, 10:55 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
hey tom you think? It's so faint, and everyone else here describes it as crazy. I think it was you that said you can hear it a block away. Maybe it just hasn't gotten bad yet? I can barely hear it unless i really want to hear it. They say if you want something bad enough, and your heart is pure.....

Old 11-23-2004, 02:47 PM
Busa01
Postmaster
Well I'm glad that yours aren't that loud, but mine are. I tried a couple of things to try and fix it but only made it worse. For instance, when the truck is still cold (cool enough to touch the cat anyway), If I grab the cat with both hands when its rattling, it will stop. Then I tried pushing up on it, and it stopped again. So then, (this is my super genious way of thinking) if I drill a hole through the heat shield large enough to screw a large flat headed bolt in there, maybe I can screw the bolt through the heat shield and butt the end up against the cat as to put pressure on the shield in the hopes it would stop. Sounds like it would work to me.

ah, but it didn't so I took the screw out and now it rattles even more....duhhhhh!!!!! Don't know why it didn't work though. I'm still going with the "Crimped" edges that's actually causing the noise. Doesn't really bother me anymore though, I just ignore it.

Tom

Old 11-23-2004, 02:58 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
I was listening for mine earlier today, and i couldn't hear it. But it's an excuse for true dual's with magnaflows!!!!

Do you think the catco cats would be good? They are so cheap on eBay, almost half how much the magnaflows are. But I've at least read thing on the internet about the specific model #'s for F-150's regarding the AIR tube and not throwing a CEL......

Old 11-23-2004, 03:08 PM
Busa01
Postmaster
never heard of catco. how much are the magnaflows???? How much for installation? install is prob more than the cat, right?

Old 11-23-2004, 03:21 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
On eBay they magnaflows run about 55 a piece, shipped. So 2 of those to replace the 4 stockers, and another 40 series muffler, plus welding.....Probably a good 300 bucks out the door.

I may consider just getting new cats, and then going true dual a little later. Depends on finances and everything, I'd really much rather get my new suspension.

Old 11-23-2004, 03:36 PM
Busa01
Postmaster
Suspension? What suspension?

Remember Mr. Crus wanting to lift his truck? I kept telling him over and over and over and over and over not to get anything except the fabtech kit and not to cheap out. Well he did and now it's all messed up, badly. His truck is sitting like a headless duck. He's been calling me every night and emailing me pictures of the components asking me what's wrong. He had some cheapo shop in miami do a crappy install of a pieced together kit and it came out looking like a bad face lift. The truck is virtually undrivable. And now he's having problems getting the shop to do anything about it. He probably just lost 1300 bucks.

I cannot stress enough......FABTECH, FABTECH, FABTECH, FABTECH, FABTECH, FABTECH, FABTECH, FABTECH, FABTECH.

If you get any other kit other than that and it comes out all screwed up, don't even call me....serious.

And also......install the freakin' thing by yourself. Yes it's a pain but you need to do it yourself so you are familiar with each and every moving part of your suspension. So if something breaks or goes wrong, you know it right away because you installed it yourself.

If you get a lift kit and don't listen to me I will kill you!!!!!

Tom

Old 11-23-2004, 04:15 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
If i were to lift it i'd get a fabtech for sure. 7.5" long-travel with double shock hoop up front, and resevoir shocks. Mabye throw on a 3" body lift and toss on 38's.

But i'm actually getting an airbag suspension. That's right, hittin the switches for all the b*tches!!!

Many people may hate me for that, especially once i get my 22's. but that's what I've decided to do.

If people hate on me, they're stupid. I like lifted trucks, slammed trucks, lowriders and hot rods. I like imports too. If i had a big 4x4 or even just an extra cab 4x2, i'd probably go big. I mean, really big. If i had an impala, or even a 93 caddy or towncar, i'd get 12 batteries and 4 pumps in the trunk. A mustang? stroke it out as big as I can, then throw on a blower. Civic you ask? That's right, a civic. I'd gut it, throw on the Integra Type R motor, and tune the hell out of it until it ran 11's in street trim.

I'm not a this-or-that type of guy. I just like customizing anything.

Anyhow, i found this picture online, of a truck that looks just like mine, except 'bagged and on 20's. Once i get the 22's, i'll tuck more tire/rim, but i'll also be about an inch higher off the ground. I'll upload it into my gallery right now.....

Old 11-24-2004, 09:25 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
Nobody is hating you dude, sorry i just assumed you meant "lift" when you said suspension. You can drop it all you want I don't care. geez, touchy touchy.

Where is this picture you were referring too? I want to see what plans you have for your truck.

Old 11-24-2004, 01:29 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
Whoa, did i type all that?

I just get a lot of people that say things like "dag gumm trucks needa be lifted n all sorts a thangs, haulin hay and mulch all tha live long day....."

anyhow i put some pics up in the gallery....and on a side note, i'm running out to usps after lunch

Old 11-24-2004, 01:39 PM
Busa01
Postmaster
Wow, that white one looks almost like yours, or what yours could look like.

The black is really slammed!!!.

Actually, when I was running nitrous and racing my truck out at Moroso, that's the direction I was originally going to go with my truck. But getting into the whole hunting thing got me into offroading and it became so fun that I flip flopped.

ps
Thanks for the quickship Rman

Old 11-24-2004, 07:55 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
I understand where people get the notion that it's 'dumb' to lower a truck, but I love the look. I'm very open minded, and love all things custom.

Just last night i went for a quick ride in my buddies supercrew, its a 4.6 on 37's, 6 inch susp. and 3 inch body lift. Rode surprisingly nice considering the huge lift, and he's running his stock gears right now. Waiting for a solid axle swap up front then going to 4.56's.

Anyhow, nice to know there's someone else here who likes lowered trucks, and that you considered it! But with the xtra cab and flareside, your's looks pretty good up in the sky I think garrett's got a drop kit on his as well(?)

Old 11-25-2004, 11:18 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
To me, I just love trucks. I love going to truck shows and races at my local track. Doesn't matter what people do to their trucks, and i've seen alot of far-out mods) I still love them. If you need a work truck to work with and beat to death for work, then buy an old rusted out Dodge or something and use it for work. Your play truck, however, can be whatever your imagination can create Life is fun, and having fun with your truck as a toy (which is what it really is) should increase your lifes enjoyment. So, if you feel like taking 3 wheels off your truck and making it a giant uni-cycle, then go for it...I think it would look cool.

Tom

Quick Reply: Slight rattle on idle