Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

302 Conversion in 91 Explorer

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 02:08 PM
skippyocc
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 302 Conversion in 91 Explorer

Now that I have a 91 302 425 hp stroker motor ready to install into 91 explorer. I have come to realize that I needed to up grade my trans and tranfercase. I have chosen to intall a 89 to 91 full size bronco AOD-E trans and up grading with 89 to 91 borg warner 1356 electric shift transfer-case, my question other than the obvious relocation of mounting cross member supports mounting brackets for the transmission and new drive lines, is there enough room and can I still use original mounting equipment to install the BW-1356? Is the BW-1356 so much different in size than the stock BW-1354 that once I bolt up the 91 AODE trans to the 91 BW-1356 transfercase that it will fit with out major fabrication work? Oh I have a 3" lift kit installed in my 91 explorer.

Last edited by skippyocc; 11-16-2004 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:17 AM
ckrichard
Elder User
Probility not. The mounting holes on the trans and t-case are probility are not going to line up with the cross members. The AODE is a shorter tranny than the A4LD. The A4LD is 28.687 and the AODE i believe is 20.500 inches long.

Chris

Old 11-17-2004, 10:59 AM
skippyocc
New User
Talking

Thank you for your inpput. I understand that the cross members which incorporates the mounting of the transmission and transfer case will need to be moved which is an easy process, however what I was wanting to know before getting started was once the engine and trans was located and mounted in place, I would then bolt the BW-1356 to the transmission with all mounting supports in place.

First question, will the BW-1356 fit with in the frame OK?

Second, will I run into problems requiring me to do major frame or body work to get the BW-1356 to sit correctly.

Third, Will there or can I expect major firewall or bottom body pan re-work for cleareance.

I understand that this is a trial and error situation, I'm just hoping that someone has done this or something simular to what I'm trying to do to help guide to future problems. Again that so very much. Skippyocc

Old 11-17-2004, 12:38 PM
Intrusion92XLT
New User
when my 4.0 went out in my 92 XLT 2wd I researched doing 302 conversion, what I found was it's gonna be more of a PITA than it's worth, and mine was gonna be more straight-forward than yours since I dont have to mess with a t-case. Ya have too many wiring issues you are gonna run into once you get the thing mounted, which was gonna almost take an act of God. I'm not trying to discourage it, but unless ya got plenty of money to drop into it and plenty of time to play around with getting it running and beefing everything up, I say go for it.

Old 11-17-2004, 07:14 PM
skippyocc
New User
Talking

Thank you for your reply

If you do your research, and you get all your ducks in a row its is not that trouble some. I have have a new Edelbrock # 3521 EFI complete kit fuel system installed as part of my 425 hp 302 stroker motor, it comes with a new harness that plugs right in to exsiting or your 351 harnesses. If your going to get rid of your stock Borg Warner 1354 transfer-case I suggest a new Atlas Highlander Trans case form Adavanced Adpaters all you need to do is follow their instructions and call Nevada Speedometer in Reno Nevada and they have plug in wiring kits for any AOD-E trans and Electric shift transfer-case.

Sense you can not use your orignal wiring harneses you will need to pull two additional harnesses for that 302. The cam has to be a 351 firing order along with the 351 wiring harnesses.

It also helps to use the same year 302 short block replacing the 4.0L.
All this helps to smooth out all the electrical issues.
It also helps to have a long time buddy sense the first grade who's family has been owning and operating a automotive repair shop sense 1954 and can wire anything up.

What I'm wanting to know is how much if any sledge hammering I will need to do when install the new 302 with the full size AOD-E transmission?
My reasearch still continues

Old 11-17-2004, 07:48 PM
Dialtone
Elder User
What oil pan did you get on your motor? I think I read that a rear sump pan (and oil pump pickup tube) was required for this adaptation. Some Mustangs with 302's used the rear sump setup if you need some bone yard parts.
Air conditioner Evap plastic housing will have to be removed/modified for clearance on the passenger side of engine. (if so equipped)
Check out "The Ranger Station" web site for info on v8 conversions as Ranger Explorer share the same basic platform. Think there was even a 351 conversion but it was a major PITA.
Dialtone

Old 11-18-2004, 12:22 AM
skippyocc
New User
I have visited many websites and when it comes to oil pans every one of them have stated that you would need to use a dual sump oil pan. SOme years mustangs came with them stock from the factory.

Also when it comes to headers I have purchased the motor mounts at the same time as they go hand in hand for clearnace.

Still I'm hoping that someone will read about my project that they can tell me before I get started on disassemblely that with the 3" lift already installed that I will not have any clearance problems with the fire wall, body and or the floorpan of my explorer. I will keep the A/C system so before I slip the new motor in I will modify the heater, A/C box on the passenger firewall for valve cover clearence.

Again thank you for all your input.

skippyocc