Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Steering wander

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 10:29 AM
roaky81
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wander

I had a lot of play in the steering wheel, adjusted the steering box and it's much better. Now I'm left with a minimal wander on my 00' F-250 4x4. It doesn't have the steering stabilizer on it (are they installed on all PSD 4x4?), should this clear up this minor wander?

Old 11-16-2004, 01:15 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to give a question to your question but I have the same problem on my 02. The Stealer says it's normal. How did you adjust your steering box?

My 02 had a stock stabalizer on it. I put an aftermarket stronger one on. Didn't make any difference. But I don't think I would run one without. I believe it helps protect ball joints from everyday/offroad driving jolts to the front end.

Last edited by Orezona; 11-16-2004 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:48 PM
roaky81
Senior User
First, have you had someone move the steering wheel (within the "play") and verified the excessive play is in the steering box and not a tie rod end?

The book calls for jacking up the front end, removing the steering wheel cover (beware of air bag), using a inch pound torque wrench on the steering wheel nut, check for ???? in/lbs while moving the torque wrench.
Mine was a little less accurate, but worked for me (I always say to do it by the book, time and enthusiasm was a limiting factor for me). I jacked up the front end and got a "feel" for turning resistance of the steering wheel, going lock to lock. Then, on top of the steering box, there's a nut (9/16 or 5/8") and an oversized allenhead set screw. While holding the set screw, loosen the nut several turns (while adjusting set screw, you don't want the nut to contact the cover). Adjust the set screw clockwise until you feel a little resistance. I loosened the set screw and readjusted it several times to make sure dirty threads or the nut weren't affecting the feel. Once you're sure that you've lightly seated the set screw so there's little to no play, snug the lock nut down (keeping the set screw from moving) and check the steering wheel movement (lock to lock) for ease of movement with no binding or rough spots. Then torque the lock nut to spec.. You DEFINITELY DO NOT want too much preload on the set screw (again, the book is a great and safe way to do it). It's probably safer to adjust the set screw for a little play then to not. I'm only a shade tree mech, so take this with a grain of salt (except the safety aspects). I've done this before on race cars with no problems and since adjusting my truck, it's been fine.

Old 11-16-2004, 03:47 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by roaky81
I had a lot of play in the steering wheel, adjusted the steering box and it's much better. Now I'm left with a minimal wander on my 00' F-250 4x4. It doesn't have the steering stabilizer on it (are they installed on all PSD 4x4?), should this clear up this minor wander?
Acouple things should be known to help ya.
1. AnyMods to the suspension? Jacked-up??
2. What size tires? Stock or way big?
3. How many miles on the truck?
and has it been used off road alot?

I'm not sure about your year truck but I have had a few of these PSD's and never really encountered any steering gear problems unless it has been abused or a bunch of miles on it. I had one go over 400K and no trouble with the St'g Gear.

I too am like roaky81, a back yard Mech, so take this with the grain of salt.
JIM

Old 11-17-2004, 05:56 PM
lancer
Elder User
I have a 99 superduty 4x4. I had to replace the ball joints. Took it for an alignment after i was done. It has a small wander problem to. I have heard elseware that these sd's have a tendancy to do that. Why i don't know. Heard guys say there trucks have done it since new. What a p*** off! I'm going to try a stablizer on mine and see if it helps.