Notices

Reverse sensors in front??

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 01:25 AM
f250grs
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering if the 3rd party reverse sensors could be installed on the front of the f250 to aid in parking rather than using the Braille method that I've used for years.
It'd need an on/off switch so it could be turned on for parking only, but that shouldn't be too hard to do.
George in CA

Old 11-16-2004, 02:02 PM
Y-Guy
Senior User
Interesting idea, I'll be curious to see how it works out for you.

Old 11-16-2004, 02:21 PM
kingfish51
Posting Guru
I think it might cause problems, as many people have had it go off when drops of water were on the sensor. I can't imagine what would happen with road dirt, bugs, salt and other gunk hits it.

Old 11-16-2004, 04:22 PM
wickymustang
Posting Guru
What year truck? All the aftermarket sensors I have seen are colored plastic. On the new cars that have that, look at the back bumper, those 5 or 6 quarter sized round things are the sensors. So if you have the older metal bumper that might look a little goofy. Also, I have heard people have issues with the water as well, so if you could figure out how to mount them so that they weren't as exposed it might work fine.

Old 11-16-2004, 07:09 PM
f250grs
Freshman User

I've got a 2004 and I've just glanced at the front end briefly. It looks like I could put them up into the grill work on either side of the radiator. They might be protected there somewhat from the weather. I haven't bought any sensors yet. It's just a wild thought and I'd thought I'd throw it out at the list for opinions.
George

Old 11-16-2004, 08:03 PM
Zralou
Freshman User
This is a really scary post!!!!! This has to be a wind-up right?

Somebody is driving around in a ¾ ton truck and needs beepers on the front!!!! I just hope you don't live in the same town as me.

Sara Lou

Old 11-19-2004, 04:07 PM
weymouth
Senior User
I've used aftermarket ultra-sonic transducers on non-automotive projects and I think you'd find that they would not hold up to the punishing environment at the front of your truck.

Assuming you're having real problems parking, I'll offer this only because my father did it to me when learning how to drive in his new suburban, and it worked. Fasten an (don't take offence) idiot stick to the front bumper. A 1/4" wood dowel will do. Make it vertical, mount it on a foam block so it's an inch or so ahead of the bumper and only as high as you need to be able to see the tip over your hood. Leave it in place for a weekend and each time you park, inch forward until you see the stick move, meaning you've contacted whatever is in front. After a bit, you'll develop a feel for where the perimeter of your truck is. My father taped an idiot stick at each corner and in the middle of both bumpers, and painted them fluorecent orange, and left them on for a month. Sort of took the shine off getting my license, but his sacred chome bumpers remained unscathed.

Old 11-20-2004, 06:36 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Could you buy the ones for the rear, from Ford and hard wire them in to the switch on the dash...front and rear...you cannot use them both at the same time....we hope!!!

Old 11-21-2004, 01:51 PM
f250grs
Freshman User
If you're thinking of wiring them into the already existing reverse sensor switch that would'nt work because that is only activated when in reverse.

I was thinking of a separate on/off switch used only when moving forward while parking or turning in a confined space.
George

Old 11-28-2004, 10:31 PM
RodbusterGS
Junior User
Hey Weymouth.....
In my neck of the woods the drivers take the sting out of "idiot stick" by calling them 'rookie bars'! Similar connotation I guess, LOL. Alot of professional drivers put them on to dress up their rigs!

Greg

Old 11-30-2004, 03:13 AM
heavnbound
Elder User
I have to tell you the lead in on this is sure an attention-getter!!!

But seriously, I have seen a lot of vehicles with "bumper guides" - little antenna-looking things on the edges of their bumpers to tell them where the front/edge of their vehicle is. For trucks with a snowplow up front it's almost a necessity.