Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Finally-a PSD

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 08:01 PM
ckal704
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Finally-a PSD

12 years ago I shopped for a truck for months and couldn't find a diesel I could afford. I was 30 years old with a young family.
The 4x4 250 exteneded cab gasser I ended up with served fairly well besides leaving me stranded in the PA blizzard of 96 when the rail fuel pump quit on me and the time the electronic ignition controller went belly up. At least it was warm out then. 2 alternators and $900 bill to replace a $14 front main oil seal and 125,000 mile later (just turned over 200k on the odo) and it's time to retire the old girl. That late 80's bad paint has finally done me in and I can't keep up with the rust.
So I have searched, again for months, for a diesel that I can afford. being a little older now, I can afford a little more.
Later this week, I will take delivery of a 1997 250 xlt short bed supercab 4x4 PSD. I can't wait! ound it on the internet and drove 120 miles to test drive it. this is the first PSD I have driven. Only 70k on it and the truck is in great shape. 5 speed manual, dry engine compartment, no loose universals, etc. real looker, too. One owner-traded into the dealer for a new ford diesel (that is the best recommendation to be had, I think). I test drove the thing for almost an hour. the salesman was hesitant, but I told him I wasn't going to drive a 5 hour round trip to spend ten minutes test driving a truck. I am preaching to the choir when I talk about the raw pulling power that thing had going up hills. You fellas know what it is all about.
Any way, I have really enjoyed and learned much from reading these forums and welcome any advice you may have. And yes, the first fluid I checked was the coolant with the test strips. The service records from the dealer showed that the truck had been there for regular service and routine repairs for its entire life.
Any other tips you guys may have will certainly be appreciated. I have a couple of years of payments before any serious mods, but I am drooling just thinking about them.

Old 11-15-2004, 08:17 PM
RynL88
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcom to FTE! I too am continually amazed at the torque my truck can still produce with 257,000 on her. I hate driving gassers, they are just slow. Anyway whenever I acquire a new vehicle I always start with the fluids. Being an older truck you can never go wrong with changing them all(except front differential) and its really not that expensive. That way you know what you've got to work with. Of course this stuff isn't essential especially if its been serviced regularly by the dealer, just gives me peace of mind. Enjoy your new truck and know we are here to help with any problems you may encounter, and on the mod. side when you ever happen to get there, you will be amazed once again at the power left to be had from these motors by just changing the basics. Enjoy

Old 11-15-2004, 08:29 PM
ckal704
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks! I have been having trouble falling asleep these past few nights waiting to go pick it up! There was some minor seat material damage that is being repaired before I get it. Hopefully Wednesday. Just in time to drive to hunting camp next weekend and show it off!

Old 11-15-2004, 08:31 PM
RynL88
Senior User
Amen!.. ah the good ole days of getting a new truck, can't wait till my next one!

Old 11-15-2004, 09:26 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

Sounds like you got yourself a good truck, low miles and have all the service records. Keep up with the regular maintance and it'll run forever!
I'll warn ya, the mod bug bites hard, and it's tough to fight!
Good luck with it!!

Old 11-15-2004, 10:39 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Yes it sounds like you did your homework and were patient enough to find the right one. (Read stick shift!)
Welcome to FTE and enjoy your new truck.