Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

this is crazy, hand tools!

Old 12-12-2004, 04:07 PM
nixer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you know its funny ive broken all of them cept for those crapsman 1/4 ratchets
i dunno how that happens and thats not from using cheaters either.

proto and snapon are really good just cant ever catch the tool truck that my only complaint

Old 12-12-2004, 04:35 PM
Crash687
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ronclark
I agree he was a bad dealer. We had a mechanic who got injured and couldn't work for a couple weeks. The snap-on dealer came to the shop as soon as the mechanic got back to work and demanded the two weeks payment due while the mechanic was out of work or he would reposess the tools. Wouldn't wait until he got paid. We had to take up a collection from the other mechanics and pay off the dealer for the tools. Banned Snap-on from the shop after that
Did you inform the area rep for Snap-on? You should be able to request a differant dealer to service you.

Old 12-12-2004, 05:37 PM
gbadgley
Senior User
For the bulk of the "non professional" users, Craftsman, Kolbolt, Husky etc. are most likly going to be fine. As a professional Snapon & Mac are all I buy.
Snapon has had some problems with a few of their dealers, they are gung ho to sell so they tend to over extend on credit. as a result a few people missing payments can reall screw them up. Greg

Old 12-12-2004, 08:10 PM
trouble
Senior User
I must have a heck of a snap-on man then because he will look in my box sometime and see if my sockets need replacing . or any other tool i buy from him.

Old 12-14-2004, 12:20 AM
patsplace
Senior User
There is a 14pc. wench set (box end - open end, longer style) on sale today at Canadian Tire for 29.95, down from 89.95 Cdn. Nice finish, good length, nicely made and fully life time warrenteed. Bought a set of 10 screw drivers there last week on sale for 19.95, made in Canada, good handles and again, lifetime warrenty. There seems to be no shortage of good tools out there besides Snap on, SK and all the big name. Don't get me wrong, I've got those tools too and they're great.
Pat

Old 12-14-2004, 10:38 AM
fordtrucklover94
Elder User
I love craftsman, got a 151 piece set for christmas last year, got a weird look from the parents when I asked for tools for christmas, well my dad liked the thought, but yeah, ever since, if i've needed a tool, i've bought craftsman, i've bought a couple of junk tools when i didn't have the money for craftsman, and guess what, you get what you pay for. Craftsman is easy to replace if broken, already broken a socket, walked in handed it to the guy, he checked to make sure the socket was craftsman, handed it back, told me to go get one like it off the shelf, and come back to make the swap. Just that easy. I would go with craftsman.

Old 12-14-2004, 11:01 AM
patsplace
Senior User
Originally Posted by trouble
I must have a heck of a snap-on man then because he will look in my box sometime and see if my sockets need replacing . or any other tool i buy from him.
No doubt in my mind that he's one of the great ones. Stories like that are why Snap-On is famous.

Old 12-14-2004, 11:20 AM
yomow
Elder User
I have bought All type's of tool's , I'm not chasing down no tool truck Snap-on , Mac & Macco tool's are darn good tool's . If you use them all day thay are the best to use But , you just can't beat the price of craftsman , & craftsman Pro Line tool's.

Don

Old 12-15-2004, 12:19 AM
KitsKid
Senior User
Craftsman has my vote

Been using Craftsman tools for over 30 years, I break a socket every now and then, but I just take it in and they always say "you had it on an impact?", to which I reply "Do I look like I need an Impact to break your cheap socket?".
(I am 6'2" 300 lbs)
They look at me and smile then give me my new socket. I take my rachets apart and coat the gears with Lubraplate grease about every six months and never throw them in the vat. They have lasted me a long time. I take care of them and they take care of me.
I tried Mac when I was younger they had pretty good tools. I have never been rich enough to afford Snap-on.

Old 12-15-2004, 08:12 AM
yomow
Elder User
6'4" 325 I know what ya mean !!!! Don

Old 12-15-2004, 08:43 AM
Fritolay
Elder User
6'4 250 broke 6 breakerbars and 12 sockets in one week they didnt like me but craftsman exchanged all of them.

Old 12-16-2004, 01:39 PM
dwoodler
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IT doesn't seem to matter how big you are, you're liable to break a few tools in your time. The thing that matters is that you buy you tools with warranties to ensure that WHEN (not if) you break them, you can replace it. Careful with Mastercraft tools, Canadian Tire has stopped replacing the Mastercraft tools after 2 or so exchanges - aparently you should be buying the MC Professional series that have a no hassle / exchange as often as you need policy. Then again there is always the try another day method, some clerks really don't care while others act like it is their tools they are allowing you to take when you exchange a broken piece. lol And a little note on Craftsman tools - the best deal is the Super Saturday Sales at Sears. I bought two sets of combination wrenches and a standard 1/2" socket set at Sears for 66% off! Mind you this was at 8 am - their door crasher sale. The sale was off by 9.

Happy wrenching!

Old 12-16-2004, 07:00 PM
mrbull31
New User
Hey, it's true that you get what you pay for. That said, most of the stuff that I use alot is Craftsman(replacement warrenty!). I also have a set of screwdrivers I bought about 10 years ago at Sam's Club, I believe they ran about 15 bucks for a set. I have used these cheap Credo brand screwdrivers as pry bars, chisels, etc. I've lost a couple, but they are still good!

Old 12-16-2004, 07:18 PM
patsplace
Senior User
I guess the answer to the young fella that was starting out is buy good tools on sale. Avoid the no name brands as a general rule. I've found no name Snap-on copies that were great for peanuts but mostly they're junk. The brush around my shop is home to quite a few no name pieces of goo that took flying lessons. Warrenty and Replacement is a wonderful thing.
Pat

Old 12-23-2004, 11:23 PM
Darren M.
Junior User
Rules on Tools (IMNSHO)
1: Tools are going to bend.
2: Tools are going to break.
3: Tools are going to NOT WORK.
4: Am I using the tool correctly?
5: Who provides the easiest replacement when this happens?
6: How often does this happen?
7: See section 4.
If you're into properly working tools and easy replacement, you've already made the decision. If you're into having tools that look cool and there fore "you're cool", again you've already made your decision.
I'm a newb. Pay no attention to me. I'd rather forge my own tools and ensure their tolerances anyway. What the heck do I know.

Last edited by Darren M.; 12-23-2004 at 11:24 PM. Reason: . <> ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: this is crazy, hand tools!