Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Figure this out....It ran fine.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 08:31 PM
skraler
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Figure this out....It ran fine.....

I let my truck sit outdoors from May to November of this year. It is a 2000 f-250 with the powerstroke turbo diesel. It starts fine and idles fine. My problem is when i push the accelerator it wont go past 1200 rpm, and it smokes up a storm . When i put it in gear it wont even move. It ran fine when I parked it. The fuel light was on and it still is,it was low,but not on "E". The water in fuel light is not on , and there is no check engine light.I checked for obstruction in the airbox....none. It has no power at 1200 rpm either.Help its at camp, I cant even get a wrecker in there to pick it up.

Old 11-12-2004, 08:35 PM
mech2161
Posting Guru
Is the smoke black or blue? Did it set all this time without being started?

Old 11-12-2004, 08:38 PM
skraler
New User
well it looks whiteish, it did sit without ever being started....the antifreeze was up to date

Old 11-12-2004, 09:23 PM
mech2161
Posting Guru
I'm still thinking about this one. My first thought is turbo shaft stuck, not turning. Some of the guru's will chime in with ideas. Maybe someone else has had this type of problem.

Old 11-12-2004, 09:28 PM
bluemoose89
Senior User
kwik will know for sure

Old 11-12-2004, 10:09 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Thanks for the vote of confidence.
Personally I don't want to believe any indicator lights and would suggest draining the fuel bowl just to be safe.
Possibly the EBPV is sticking shut. Indications would be a giant hissing noise when you step on the throttle, however I think the engine would rev higher than 1200 if that were the case.
Mech2161's idea about a stuck turbo is good. You can easily reach the intake wheel and try and spin it if you remove the intake boot. It should spin freely with zero resistance. But a PSD with a locked turbo will simply be a non-turbo diesel that should be able to rev freely and move the truck around, just with greatly reduced power output.
But as I am writing this the most suspicious thing that comes to mind is algae in the fuel clogging the fuel filter. It sat there for quite a while and had plenty of time to grow. Personally I have never had to deal with it in any car, mine or a customer's so I have little experience to offer you here other than get a fuel filter ready for replacement and then take the cover off and look. The other possibility is that it's clogging the pickup tube in the fuel tank.
Let us know how this goes.

Old 11-14-2004, 10:20 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What is, or was, the temperature when you attempted to recover the truck? How long did you let it run before leaving it?

I would suspect a fuel delivery problem, but white smoke (even a lot of it) is pretty normal if it's cold enough outside.

I would dump some Power Service (about two quarts) into the tank along with about five gallon can of fresh fuel. I would also replace the fuel filter and refill the bowl with Power Service, then let it sit a few hours. The Power Service has anti-gel as well as a biocide in it.

After that cycle the key on for 20 seconds then off. Do this 4 or 5 times to get the fuel system fully pressurized as well as getting the glow plugs good and hot. Then start it and let it sit at idle for 20-30 minutes before you try to do anything with it.

So long as the pump is operating and there aren't any completely clogged lines, that should take care of any fuel problems associated with sitting, and it should tell you if there is a more serious problem to be dealt with.

Old 11-14-2004, 11:19 AM
94xcabpsd
New User
My boss has a ford ranger with adiesel. It sets quite abit. One day he tried to start it and it had no compression, allit would do is spin free and smoke .I tore into it, there was a huge mouse nest in the air filter box, all kinds of crap got to the valves on his. Check your air box you may be surprised.

Old 11-14-2004, 12:00 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How cold was it outside? Did you let it run long enough to warm up to operating temperature? I would try that before tearing things apart in an attempt to fix a problem which may or may not exist.

Old 11-14-2004, 12:19 PM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Also, check your intake snorkel, air filter box. Possible rodent nest in the box, etc.?

Old 11-14-2004, 05:20 PM
lancer
Elder User
Sounds like the ebpv stuck to me. It did that on my old mans cube van and the same symptoms. Smoke like you wouldn't believe and would hardly move. Just a suggestion

Old 11-14-2004, 05:37 PM
mastertech59
Freshman User
I had one come into the shop last week and was doing the same thing. No codes no lights on just had no power and smoke white real bad. Found the owner of the truck filled up with gas. He said it was cheaper than diesel. I couldn't belive what I heard.

Old 11-14-2004, 05:47 PM
lancer
Elder User
Can you say DUHHHHHHH

Old 11-14-2004, 06:32 PM
skraler
New User
a little more info......

well I realy appreciate all of this info....I will start checking into it on moday...I parked it in may and just started it again in mid november....up here in the north east where we already had 6 inches of snow. I let it run for 30 minutes and no smoke while idling beautifully. as soon as I give it gas ...tons of white smoke , no power , and wont go anywhere near 1500 R.P.M.....its at my camp down a long trail....so if I am lucky I will have to tow it with a chain out to the road cuz there are tree stumps all over ....no wrecker would risk it or tow truck...and its all mud....one othert thing ...it feels like my wheels are locked up ...or my brakes are frozen...it still wont rev up though even in NEUTRAL...

Old 11-14-2004, 11:55 PM
mikewalsh1
Freshman User
It may be a bad injector. Sounds like the trouble I had with a broken oring and a real gfummed up injector.

Quick Reply: Figure this out....It ran fine.....