Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Help !97 Explorer won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 10:40 PM
obh
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help !97 Explorer won't start

Hi All
I just bought an 1997 Explorer XLT 2 months ago, it ran fine until last weekend, I parked it and then came back to start it the next day, the starter and battery work fine but the engine won't run. I checked all the fuses and relays, no sign of any problems. No error codes are generated when hooked up too !
I can smell gas when I am trying to start it which indicates that gas is flowing to the engine.
Has anyone had similar experience ? I would appreciate any feedback
PS : this is my first letter to the forum so excuse me if I chose the wrong forum

Old 11-09-2004, 11:49 PM
sjwoody
Senior User
I'm no great mechanic by any means, but I'd start with a check of the fuel pressure at the test port on the fuel rail. Even though you smell fuel, I'd start there. Also check for fuel at the fuel press regulator vacuum line. If that's all ok, then I'd go to the ignition system and check for spark. If you don't have any spark, there's a check in the Haynes manual for checking the coils. I'd stick with the basics at this point...fuel and ignition checks.

Old 11-10-2004, 06:13 AM
bitsakis
New User
97 Explorer wont start WHEN COLD

I have a similar problem, need help as well:

-97 Explorer V6 OHC
-Did not start last 2 mornings (25 deg F or less both days, first time this season)
-Starts FINE at nite
-Check Engine lighth has been on a couple of weeks.

Old 11-10-2004, 06:17 AM
bitsakis
New User
Had a similar "no start" problem in the past with this truck as well. Very sporadic, left me stranded in several places. Troubleshot to "no spark". Had the car towed, over time, to 3 separate Ford dealers who were all useless.

Brought it to my regular gas station mechanic for a different reason, and it would not start for him in his lot. After troubleshooting, he replaced the flywheel rpm sensor (?) since he said the connection didnt look good on it. Car has been fine since (except of course the past 2 mornings).

Old 11-10-2004, 10:20 PM
obh
New User
Originally Posted by obh
Hi All
I just bought an 1997 Explorer XLT 2 months ago, it ran fine until last weekend, I parked it and then came back to start it the next day, the starter and battery work fine but the engine won't run. I checked all the fuses and relays, no sign of any problems. No error codes are generated when hooked up too !
I can smell gas when I am trying to start it which indicates that gas is flowing to the engine.
Has anyone had similar experience ? I would appreciate any feedback
PS : this is my first letter to the forum so excuse me if I chose the wrong forum
Thank you all for your assistance, I will start checking part by part, the unfortunate side is that I can't tow it easily as it is in an underground garage, the tow company refused to tow it. Just as well, hopefully with your help I can find out the cause. Much appreciated

Old 11-11-2004, 08:55 AM
99Xplr
Senior User
Check the IAC. I have a recurring problem with my 99 SOHC. Every so often it won't start without holding my foot on the gas while cranking. This opens the butterfly allowing additional air into the engine. Then once the motor is running, if I let my foot off the gas, it dies. I clean the IAC and all is well for a shile. One of these days I will get around to replacing the stupid thing....

Old 11-11-2004, 11:41 AM
sjwoody
Senior User
I never thought of checking the IAC...it seems that this is a problem area causing lots of different symptoms here on the forum. If fuel pressure is up to specs, and you have spark (and correct spark timing) the IAC would be a likely next guess.

Good luck

Old 11-11-2004, 10:09 PM
obh
New User
Thanks again for the tips but I think it is more electrical, I tried flooring the gas but nothing happened. I will check the spark plugs by opening one and see if there is any spark at all. I bought the Haynes manual, hopefully it would help resolve the mistery

Old 11-15-2004, 07:01 PM
STROKER350
Senior User
The IAC valve on top of the engine was the problem on our 1998 Explorer. I took it off, sprayed it with carb cleaner and dried it out. Sprayed some WD40 in it and reinstalled it. You will need to reset the computer by pulling the battery cable and letting it set about 10 minutes. If this doesn't work, get a new IAC valve.

Old 11-15-2004, 08:43 PM
sjwoody
Senior User
Just another thought...if your intermittent problem is temperature related, and if you're into "shotgunning" the problem with new parts, you may consider replacing the ignition module mounted on the distributer (just below the cap). It requires a dielectric grease which should come with the new module. A couple of years ago, I had to replace mine when it shut down after the engine warmed up.

I don't know how you could test it, and I don't believe the computer will diagnose a module related problem.

Old 11-16-2004, 11:24 PM
obh
New User
Explorer won't start

Thanks again for everybody who responded. I actually had to take it in and it was the "Crank sensor", it took the mechanic over two hours to figure out what was wrong with it. You're a great bunch of guys and I've learned a lot from your suggestions.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:29 AM
mpat5318
New User
Smile Hi we had that exact same problem with our 97 explorer sport here's how you fix

Okay...so you know what the big intake hose is right? The big black
hose attatched to the engine your air intake hose. Well look at the
other end of the hose. In the side of the hose you will see a rubber
hose running down to the engine. And a plastic pipe connected to
the air intake as well. What you need to do is get a can of air intake
cleaner and spray a good dose into that plastic pipe. Ours wouldn't
start just like yours and i sprayed air intake cleaner in that pipe
and it started up. This should fix the problem. That pipe is so
narrow and small by design but the slightest clog and your
explorer wont start at all...

Old 08-26-2013, 01:16 PM
robert depasquale
New User
no start explorer

have 97 xlt
had /have same problem
would not start and after checking most things coil pack
grounds,fuses ect
crankshaft position was full of grease road grime sprayed it with carb cleaner

and it started

Old 05-28-2014, 12:01 PM
robert depasquale
New User
it was the Crank sensor cleaned it with carb cleaner and it been running for months

Old 06-03-2014, 11:18 PM
weross67
Senior User
Arrow Crank Shaft Sensor

I think Robert has it I have replaced the Crank Shaft Position Sensor several times with the problem you folks describe. When this sensor gets old it will Shrink causing it not to work as well as it did before. In some cases cleaning it will get you going but it needs changing. It never gives you a code when bad.