front axle assembly torn up

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 02:22 PM
Green Streak
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
front axle assembly torn up

I took my 77 f250 off road for the first time last weekend. I had bought the truck last year, had been sitting a while so I replaced bearings and U joints that appeared dried out. I finished the u joints just last week. After about 3 miles the front passenger side axle assembly broke. All 4 holes which receive the caps on the u joint are broken wide open letting the u joint fall to the ground. Got her towed home and began to remove the hubs. The ring between the inner clutch ring and axle shaft sleeve was worn right through. What could have caused this amount of stress and damage. I am currently hunting down replacement parts but an concerned as to what actually the problem is for fear of this happening again.
Any ideas?
TIA Greg

Old 11-11-2004, 12:44 PM
Squiggy
Senior User
4wd on cement, is a no no. also slamming it into 4wd is a no no as well. cant think ofmuch else that would cause it unless you put something in wrong, those parts need a lil grease too. Hard to say bud, the u-joinnts did you slam them with a hammer or did you use a u-joint tool? because if you cracked it even a bit you'd have a serious problem in due time. Rusty **** doesnt always work when stress is added to them

Old 11-11-2004, 08:34 PM
Green Streak
Senior User
Thanks for the reply Squiggy. Yes I drove out the U joints with a hammer and undersized socket. I am somewhat far sighted and suspect you may be right about cracking the yokes. I had to drive it about 3 miles over very rocky terrain heavily loaded and popping loudly before I got a tow. I guess once one lets go the shaft starts to wobble causing the damage described. Anyway replacement parts on the garage floor, warn hubs on order. I will have a good look at the spider gears and put it back together on Monday.
Thanks again, Greg