Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! clutch - slave/master cylinder line problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 05:16 PM
netviper
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!! clutch - slave/master cylinder line problem

I'm helping out a friend right now in my garage change the forever slipping clutch in his 88 F150 2wd. We are just about to the point of pulling out the tranny, but we've hit a snag. We can't get the hydraulic line to the slave cylinder to come out of the slave. We tried with the tool that the books recomend to no avail, and now it looks like the white plastic collar is messed up

Is this an easily replaceable part if we were to cut the line? Or does the whole line come with a master cylinder? We looked at disconnecting it from the MC end and can't figure how it would come apart from that end.

We're looking for a little direction. Thanks.

Bruce

Old 11-08-2004, 07:50 PM
96stroker
New User
The line does not come with the master cylinder...you can buy just a line if which i remember right isnt all that expensive from ford.

To take it off of the master cylinder there should be a little roll pin that you knock out with a punch, and then you can pull the line off. There will also be an o-ring in there to look out for.

Or you can take the master cylinder off of the firewall and lower the whole thing out with the trans.

Old 11-08-2004, 10:44 PM
alabamabuddog
Elder User
Mine came right out. I used a long pair of needle nose pliers with the loop built on the end, pushed in on the ( white or light gray ) ring then push in on the line and then pull out on it. Hope all goes well with you!

Old 11-08-2004, 11:02 PM
netviper
New User
well we ended up cutting the line after we found the part number tag on the line itself. So tomorrow it's off the the Ford dealer to see waht they can find for my. They work wonders with finding all my obsolete SHO parts, so I have hope that they can find this for my friend.

As it turns out after wer got the tranny all the way out, we tried to get the fitting part out of the slave cylinder part and after getting 2 pair of vicegrips on there we were able to get it apart. Turns out that there was so much corrosion after 150k and 16.5 years of life in the great rusty northeast, that the innards of the fitting were corroded beyond whqat would have let us ever get it apart. Looks like the part is made out of Aluminum, casue there was a nice pile of that white powder that forms as AL oxidizes.

Clutch was down to the rivets too, gotta wonder why he only gets 10mpg, if the clutch was slipping that bad.