Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

Tire Rotation Patterns????????????????????

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 11:24 AM
Lane Dexter
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Tire Rotation Patterns????????????????????

I mentioned tire rotation to a Mechanic at work. He endorsed the straight front-to-rear rotation used by Les Schwab. I had thought Les Schwab was merely lazy; I generally use a proper 4 or 5 tire rotation pattern that eventually uses all tires in all positions. My Mechanic friend said not to change direction of rotation on radial tires.

Now I'm confused (again) . Way back when radials were the "New Thing," we were told not to reverse direction of rotation or we'd risk belt shift and bad things happening to the tires. I even made a tiny arrowhead branding iron, so I could be SURE I'd keep track of which way the performance radials on my Saab 99 Turbo rotated.

Some years later, I heard "Tires are better now; forget that old tale about reversing direction of rotation and don't worry about which way it turns."

I have also heard at various times, not to reverse the direction a studded tire turns. The studs take a set, and changing the direction of rotation makes it more likely you'll throw studs.

I have owned a few tires with directional tread designs, and I understand the reason one doesn't swap direction of rotation on such tires. That's different.

I'm about to rotate the Michelin LTX M/T tires on my Suburban. Should I worry about the direction they turn, or about same issue for the Schwab TXR's on my F250?

So, Tire Guys, what's the LATEST STORY on tire rotation? Give me the most recent science and theory. Do I bring rears forward, swap sides on the fronts as I take move them to the back, so that in three moves from brand new, each tire will have been used in all four positions? Or do I just swap front to rear?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Lane

Old 11-07-2004, 05:25 PM
SoCalDesertRider
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't know all the technical info about it, but you're always safe swapping straight front to rear and that does accomplish the goal of tire rotation without alot of hassle.

Old 11-07-2004, 05:45 PM
Lane Dexter
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm wondering if it evens out the wear as well.

Say, we just start talking about tire rotation and the automatic features of this forum kick in... I just noticed a link at the bottom and followed it:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...ral/rotate.jsp

Not exactly an in-depth treatment, but it does suggest the direction the tire turns isn't all that critical these days.

Lane

Old 11-08-2004, 04:15 PM
SRD4X4
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most tire manufacture's recommend rotating 6-8,000 mi. a few 3-4,000.Unless you have directional tires the free spinning wheels (front on rear drive,rear on front drive) get crossed. Straight front/rear pattern is okay but most people don't do it soon enoughand free spinning tires will "cup",by moving straight the tire continues to roll in same direction thus gaining nothing from rotation except all 4 tires being "cupped".