Sponsored by:

'96 Bronco - rushing water sound

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 12:04 AM
broncster
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking '96 Bronco - rushing water sound

Whenever I make a turn or a hard stop, I hear what sounds like rushing water coming from under the passenger side dash. I've checked the coolant, and the level is where it always is, so I'm assuming rainwater or A/C condensate is collecting within the heater box. In addition, the heater doesn't make as hot air as it used too.

My question is, is there a drain for the heater core box? And if so where is it located? Perhaps it's clogged with leaves or other debris.

Thanks for your help. I'd like to take care of this prior to the cold weather setting in.

Old 11-05-2004, 12:51 AM
94Bronco58
Senior User
Yes there is a drain, which I recently just found out after my core started leaking (major PITA), and its located almost directly under the heater hoses, easily seen if you take out the fender well, don't know if you can see it without that removed though. I don't think thats your problem though, from my perspective I think it's the heater core itself, might want to replace it to save yourself the hassle later on, its not hard to do either.

Old 11-05-2004, 01:36 AM
kameronth
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
My heater never used to get really hot either. My heater core also was making that noise. I just let it go until about two weeks ago when my driver side floor board was covered in antifreeze. I got a new one at the zone for $15 and put it in, Tadaa! Gets hot and no more noise. Was not hard to replace at all.

Old 11-05-2004, 01:38 AM
94Bronco58
Senior User
YEP! got mine from the Zone too right after it dumped the smelly coolant all over the carpet!

Old 11-07-2004, 07:38 PM
broncster
New User
Thumbs up

Sounds like I'm replacing my heater core. From what I read, it's through the glove box, and pretty staight forward.

From the Zone, where you purchased the heater core, I'm assuming you mean Auto Zone.

Thank you very much for your replies.

Old 11-08-2004, 10:24 AM
kameronth
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Yup, Auto Zone. Just take the glove box off and there is a cover with 7 screws or so and behind that lays the core.

Old 11-09-2004, 12:48 PM
johnnyroastbeef
Junior User
i have the same issue but the sound comes from the middle of the dash not the right side where the core is. I took the heater core out and and inspected it and it looked in good condition with no leaks, is it just a matter of time or could it be something with the air conditioning? I have no real experience working on AC...obviously.