Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

New Pathfinder

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 12:37 AM
Fordtastic
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Pathfinder

Has Anyone seen the new Nissan Pathfinder? It's literaly a miniature Armada. Same frame only shortened...270hp V-6. But dang it's UGLY.

Old 11-03-2004, 09:58 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
What does it compare to in the Ford line-up?

Old 11-03-2004, 02:54 PM
Armada
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim Lamkin
What does it compare to in the Ford line-up?
Tim, I haven't actually seen one yet. I guess it would compare with the Explorer. I do know that a comparison was just published in Motor Trend for new model SUV's. It looks like they only compared models which are totally new for '05. I haven't read the article, only some press releases about it. Their winner was the new LandRover - which is owned by Ford. Others in the comparison included the Pathfinder. I'll try to get a copy. Maybe someone elsewhere can tell us.

Old 11-03-2004, 04:43 PM
abmobil
Senior User
the new pathfinder is in the exploer and trailblazer class,and it offers 7 passenger seating like they do and is propelled by a 4.0 stroked version of there ecellent 3.5v6 used in the 350z and others in there lineup. 270hp, 291lbf of torque.

Old 11-03-2004, 07:13 PM
Armada
Senior User
Originally Posted by abmobil
the new pathfinder is in the exploer and trailblazer class,and it offers 7 passenger seating like they do and is propelled by a 4.0 stroked version of there ecellent 3.5v6 used in the 350z and others in there lineup. 270hp, 291lbf of torque.
That should be an awesome engine and transmission combo. Ought to be pretty quick and agile.

Yea, it does look like the Armada, and that may polarize folks. But with the Titan, Armada, X-Terra and now the Pathfinder all having the same new "look" a lot more of that "look" is going to be circulating. People may start getting used to it, just like they did when Ford started making "rounded" cars like the Taurus and then the rounded shape of the F-150's while GM and Dodge were still "square". Or they may not like this Nissan look and that will show up in sales. Only time will tell.

Does anyone know how the Pathfinder did in the Motor Trend comparision test? I haven't bought the mag yet. Their testing criteria is wierd. They pick models which represent brand new design for the model year. They don't really compare the vehicles to each other, but compare them to other similar vehicles in their class which were not tested. Strange. Then they announce an "SUV of the Year." Ford's Land Rover L-3 won, but without reading the text, I can't tell how others did. There were some other Ford products in the comparison also - mini SUV's, an Infiniti QX56 (upscale Armada) and a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Someone said the Pathfinder may be tested in the new Car and Driver. I got the latest issue a couple days ago, but have not had a chance to read it, so I don't know if it is in there. I'll check.

Competition is good and helps make all vehicles better. Might be time for Ford to update the Explorer some. It used to be the most popular SUV out there. I don't know if it still is.

Last edited by Armada; 11-03-2004 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:15 PM
Fordtastic
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Freestyle was also included in that test....it didn't compare well at all to the rest but atleast they added it was a much better value than the Chrysler Pacifica. Anyways as for the Pathfinder...the Armada and Titan were dareing enough as far as styling...but this new Pathfinder just goes overboard with the funk...

Old 11-03-2004, 07:49 PM
abmobil
Senior User
I didnt really like the look of the 05 pathfinder at all but seing one in person made it look so much better. The top of the line Le looks the best probably due to its larger wheels. I felt the same way about the titan and armada but seeing them up close can make a difference.