1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Too much engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 02:25 AM
jdbanks
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too much engine?

Hey guys, I'm planning on replacing my knocking 360 and ran across this engine for sale in my area. Unfortunately I'm not a big racer or pro at all this lingo. I just like my truck and know how to work on it and keep it running. This was out of a truck for racing and I'm wondering if it would work as a semi-daily driver? Would it be worth the money to put in my truck? Maybe if I tuned it down a bit or something? Thoughts?

390 cubic inch motor with a 428 crank and it is bored .60 over, 11:1 pistons, triangle valve job and ported and polished, 750 cfm double pumper Holley, MSD ignition, High Rise intake, Headers with full 3" exhaust back to Delta Force Flowmaster mufflers, 4 core radiator, electric cooling fan, C6 transmission with 3750 rpm stall and TCI upgrade shift kit, B&M shifter, Edelbrock chrome valve covers, HD chrome air breather, 740 Hydraulic Cam, High Performance Valve Body, Dyno said 700-745Bhp.....
-J.Banks-

Old 11-01-2004, 05:59 AM
dablack
Senior User
JD,

There is no way you could drive that thing on the street very long. That compression ratio is a little much and so is taking a 390 block .060 over. I didn't look over the cam specs, but I bet it is too high for daily driving and that stall converter would be a pain on the street. Add in some rain or damp streets and you are dead or in a ditch. That motor was built to go down the track so many times and then be rebuilt. I don't think it would last 15K miles.
That being said, I have a couple of spare truck and I sure would want it for one of them, so I could use it as my "track" truck. I would paint my track truck to match my regular daily driver so everyone would think it is the same truck.

Old 11-01-2004, 06:44 AM
dPrasse01
Senior User
.060 over on certain 390 blocks is not a problem ...I forget ,I think the '65 390 block is the "thicker walled" block ... the stall converter is a bit high , I run a 2800 stall behind my 460 ... wet streets are a blast ! unless you want to drive straight
11:1 compression will need hi-test fuel , unless it has alum Edelbrock heads , then you might survive with just Premium fuel with proper timing ....

Old 11-01-2004, 07:07 AM
RR4E
Elder User
I've had several 390 blocks to .060 over without any problems at all. You'll find that much compression is over-kill on the street, and will need high octane fuel, and probably an octane additive for daily driving. You'd be better off rebuilding your 360. The 360 was and is a fine engine, basically a 390 with a slightly shorter stroke. Give it a mild over-bore, say .030 over, install new connecting rod bushings, pistons, get your heads checked at a machine shop for worn guides, valves, springs, and rocker shafts, change out your push-rods, a nice mild rv cam, machined crank with new bearings, and new bushings for your connecting rods, and you'll have a nice engine for years to come.

Old 11-01-2004, 08:25 AM
jdbanks
Elder User
Thanks guys, I was afraid it would be too much. I'll keep looking, and maybe I will rebuild mine, we'll see. Thanks again.

-J.Banks-