1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

That annoying door chime is finally quiet!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 03:43 PM
terrys4
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks a bunch, Kwik! First thing I did this morning has open the steering

column and disable that annoying alarm. Great info.

Old 10-30-2004, 04:04 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by terrys4
Thanks a bunch, Kwik! First thing I did this morning has open the steering

column and disable that annoying alarm. Great info.
You're welcome. About a month ago I was getting pretty cranky when I took the fuse panel down to find that the chimer was embedded within the stinkin' box itself. Now to quote Fordnut74: "Life is good"

Old 10-30-2004, 09:03 PM
mech2161
Posting Guru
Kwik will your remote door locks work now with the key in or running since it doesn't detect it. Wish I could lock mine with the remote and leave it run in the morning. You know the first stop is only 2 blocks away. Need my cafine fix MTNDEW.

Old 10-30-2004, 10:05 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by mech2161
Kwik will your remote door locks work now with the key in or running since it doesn't detect it. Wish I could lock mine with the remote and leave it run in the morning. You know the first stop is only 2 blocks away. Need my cafine fix MTNDEW.
Hey! That would be handy! I'll try it out tomorrow and let you know.

Old 10-30-2004, 11:52 PM
cangim
Postmaster
I like that Idea, no annoying door chime and hopefully be able to lock/unlock doors with key in, hmm.... Have some work to do tomorrow....

Old 10-31-2004, 11:59 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by mech2161
It won't work. I just tried it with the engine running and no response to the key fob at all. Engine must be turned off.

Old 10-31-2004, 12:15 PM
mech2161
Posting Guru
I'll do some research and see what I can find. I've got AllData at my shop. It gives all the schematics.

Old 10-31-2004, 02:20 PM
mech2161
Posting Guru
Well from what I've found, the only way to do this would be with a switch. The GEM has power all the time for the door locks and entry lights to work. When the key is switched another power source enters the GEM and disables the remotes. It has a different circuit for start/run and acc. Unless I can find another way I'll just kep using the key for now.

Old 10-31-2004, 06:08 PM
douthit
4wd Low
took a quick look through my manual for 04 superduty and saw no referance to quieting the door chime.
I would also like to override the dome and cargo lights so that nothing happens when I open the door. Ford mechanis gave me some wiring diagrams to help with the lights but gave me the same ignition switch removal and wire disconnect to stop the door chime.
Can anyone transcribe the manual sequence to stop the door chime?

Old 11-03-2004, 11:28 AM
cangim
Postmaster
Well, that was easy, followed instructions as Kwik posted, easy to do, took maybe 10 minutes, just to bad the Keyless entry doesn't work with the key on now, ohwell, chime is gone, will have to look at some schematics to see about he keyless part I guess.

Old 04-03-2005, 02:24 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Well folks this was a real easy one. After reading some of the posts here on FTE about how to shut up the door chime with the key in, I took the plunge. I started by removing the three screws that hold bottom half of the steering column cover. The cover basically falls off, revealing the black with pink stripe wire going up to the ignition lock tumbler. You can't miss it, it's the only one going to the base of the tumbler. Turn the key to the "on" position and push the retainer button on the bottom of the tumbler housing and remove the key tumbler. The button is located about a key lengths distance from the hilt of the key as it's inserted in the lock. It looks like a small ball bearing in a hole. Just get a small screwdriver and push on the ball bearing and pull on the lock tumbler at the same time. Out she comes. Ok now remove the top half of the steering column cover. Examining the black/ping wire you will see that it comes up to a small horseshoe plastic retainer that fits onto the bottom of the lock tumbler housing like a set of dentures. Simply slide it out of it's groove and wrap it up with a bit of electrical tape and stash it under the tumbler housing. That part is done. Now you know that very annoying lever that you must push on to get the lock tumbler to turn all the way to the off position and remove the key? It's held down with one bolt. With the cover off of the steering column it's a 30 second affair to remove that annoying little lever that was put there by Ford's liability lawyers. It's a Torx fitting. I didn't bother with going to the tool box and getting one, I just used the pliers that were handy sitting on the floor while I was working and it came out easily. Put the top cover back on the steering column now. Insert the lock tumbler now. Turn the key off. Install the bottom cover. Now you can insert the key in the ignition with the driver's door opened and the chime will not sound. You turn the headlights on it it WILL sound. Key in or not.
One last thing. Go under the driver's seat and unplug the electrical plug under there to shut up the seat belt chime. Now the next time you get in the truck and turn the key on you will only hear the chime tone one beep and that's it with the door open and the seat belt unbuckled. Just please keep wearing your seat belt. I heard a fireman say a long time ago and it stuck in my mind. "I have never had to unbuckle a dead person."
I can't stand it anymore!!! The truck is in the garage, all the plastic is off, I see that Black with pink tracer wire, AND I'M GOIN IN!!

Old 04-03-2005, 02:48 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
And it's done...Thanks Kwik.

Old 04-03-2005, 03:03 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Orezona
And it's done...Thanks Kwik.
Right on! Did you remove that annoying trigger for releasing the key too?

Old 04-03-2005, 04:20 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
No my 02 doesn't have it, but I did copy and paste your directions to my father. He has a 99 and will appreciate your directions as much as I do.

Last edited by Orezona; 04-03-2005 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:05 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
i put a remote starter in my 02 F350 psd. i added the remote door locks when i did. i can push 2 buttons on the remote that puts it in cool down mode, turn the ignition off, truck stays running for 5 or 10 mins, depending on which setting i have it on, and i can lock the doors with the remote while i go in for coffee, (only drink mountain dew in the morning if i'm in REALLY TUFF SHAPE...!) $280 installed for the whole package bought at Circut City so they would install it. seems like a lot, but it is a real nice convience. warms the truck up in winter, cools it off in the summer, and the "cool down" feature is a turbo saver if what everyone tells me is true...

Quick Reply: That annoying door chime is finally quiet!