General Automotive Discussion

Ford vs. Toyota: This is all I got left to say...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 09:04 AM
quaddriver
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is true, a friend of mine just had his bought back (and he got yet another cuz if you got another the incentive was greater)

Old 10-21-2008, 06:27 PM
powerstroke96350
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrwizard
Thanks for your input. Maybe you can find a Toyota message board now.
x2

My girlfriends dad just bought a toyota. It has been back 2 times already and it is only 4 months old.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:48 PM
gweeds
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not that I'm going to change anybody's mind at all here, but here are my 2 cents on the foreign truck vs. domestic truck thing:
I have two extremes of trucks, a Nissan Hardbody (smallest truck ever) and the f-250 (large truck.) The Hardbody is at about 300K, and I've replaced the water pump ($50) and instrument cluster ($7, scrap yard) and the clutch, but the clutch doesn't count because I ruined it learning how to drive. The ford, on the other hand, has had many, many pricy things like the transmission (replaced myself, actually, I replaced everything myself) exhaust manifold, etc... go bad. I've also loaded down the Nissan with so much rock that the axles were riding on the frame, front and back, and she still worked just fine.

Moral of the story: I wouldn't give up either. They are both great vehicles. After the 90's though, well, its a different story...

Old 10-22-2008, 05:16 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
Well maybe the ford is used like a truck and has a real engine in front of the tranny with actual torque. I've heard these stories go both ways. A guy on the ranger forum had an 84 4 cylinder 4-speed ranger. He has 350,000 miles on it with nothing but normal maintence. He say's it doesn't climb the hills like it use to, but still goes.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:45 PM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by galaxie641
Holy 6 year old thread batman
Yeah, that's right. This is actually good news, for that guy. Toyota is quitely recalling many of these trucks and giving the owners BIG settlements. Seems the Toys are rusting out and failing due to frame weakness. There was a post on this website a few months back showing a Toy that had crumpled in half after just being lifted off the ground. I hear people with trucks 7-8 years old are getting something like $15,000 to bring the truck in and keep their mouths shut(my comment, wild guess). And of course there are plenty of videos on the web showing how the toy frames really flex while driving fast down a rough road, while the Ford looks solid.

I've seen plenty of Toys running around with bizzare damage. Strangely many of them have far more stress related damage than American trucks. Lots of fun to see the bed walls push out sideways on a Toy, more common than I thought.

Oh well, always arguments about who makes the best whatever.

Jim Henderson

Old 10-22-2008, 11:53 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,750 Likes on 1,331 Posts
Originally Posted by Critterhunter
There are several reasons why I'll only own a Ford Ranger and NEVER a Toyota or any other rice burning truck. Buy American is a good start but it doesn't end there. Do you REALLY think that the fact that they put the Toyota together in American makes it better? The head company is still located in Japan and that is where the bulk of the profits end up.
Truth!

Originally Posted by Critterhunter
Toyotas, as well as most Japanise vehicles, rust early and often. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a Toyota go down the road with half the body rusted completely away. On the other hand, my 94 Ranger is rust free, despite the paint even being completely gone is several areas from two wrecks I've been in several years ago. True, this truck has galvanized lower sheet metal but even older Rangers will hold up much better than a Toyota.
I've got to get a picture of my '85 'Yota's bed. Honestly, I wouldn't stand in the bed for fear of falling through! I'm going to make a flat-bed for it this spring hopefully.

Originally Posted by gilamountainman
Once you try a full size truck buddy, you won't ever go back to a sardine can.
Funny, I sold my '97 F150 and got an '85 Toyota And I'm 6'5" tall...

Old 10-30-2008, 10:55 AM
hawk
Posting Guru
make sure you check the frame on that tacoma as they have had to buy back over 800,000 tacos becuase the frames rot and break in half!