Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Chip or Turner Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 06:00 PM
wlc101
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chip or Turner Help

I got a 1997 F-350 4x4 with a auto trans. and a 7.3 powerstroke and i work out this truck all the time and i need more HP and iv been lookin for a chip or turner and theres so many to chose from. If yall could help me i would like to get as much HP as possible but yet be safe for towing and best all around driving and if get a turner would give me the best both them then which one do i go with? thanks alot guys
Chasen

Old 10-24-2004, 06:08 PM
Domino'sDiesel
Senior User
Personally I would go the chip route. There are more options this way. Most companies do a 6,4,3,2, setting flip chip which you can program to your liking. For example on 4 position chip you can chose 100hp, 75hp, 50hp, and stock or any numbers you feel appropiate.

Old 10-24-2004, 06:14 PM
wlc101
New User
what HP?

what hp settings are safe ones to have for towing and driving?

Old 10-24-2004, 06:27 PM
Domino'sDiesel
Senior User
I'd stay within 50hp. Do you have gauges, intake and exhaust? If not I extremly recommend these mods prior to a chip so you know you are letting the motor "breathe" and monitoring any potenial harm with the gauges. I should have mentioned the gauges that you should have are a boost gauge for turbo, an EGT or pyrometer for exhaust gas temperature and tranny temp gauge if you have an auto.

Old 10-24-2004, 06:34 PM
wlc101
New User
Mods

I got a air intake modification and im planning on a 4 in exaust because i heard 5 in was over kill along with a 3 in down pipe but i dont got and gauges were do you think i could get some for my 97 powerstroke i see tons of them for the new one but havent found any for my 97. (also my exaust is goin to be a striaght pipe.)

Last edited by wlc101; 10-24-2004 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:03 PM
Domino'sDiesel
Senior User
Pretty much any gauge brand will work with any year it's the mounting of them that be a preference. I went with A-pillar mount as do many of the fellow powerstrokers. I bought mine at Motorhaven.com. Basically with the exhaust the stock is fine except for the downpipe, that should be replaced. A 4" system will be sufficient enough, but the larger the pipe the deeper the tone you will get. Not necessarily a 5" pipe will be over-kill if you straight pipe it.

Old 10-24-2004, 07:04 PM
CAT_man_963
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have gauges - 50 and 75 are both good towing tunes with a chip. You probably don't see the gauges for your truck advertised just 'cause it's a little older - but I would think any company that makes 'em for the Superduties will have them for your truck too - you just may have to call them. Definitely DO get gauges before getting either a chip or a tuner!!

Old 10-24-2004, 07:19 PM
BigRed350
Senior User
I have the same truck and year as wlc101 and have been looking for a guage pod myself. All I have been able to find so far was a black pillar pod, and my truck is gray interior. However, after looking at Motorhavens site, I see that they do have a gray pillar mount for 3 gauges! Now that I found that, I will get it which brings me to my next question. I too am a bit confused about which to get, a chip or a tuner? Are tuners the same as programmers? If I go with the chip route, do I need a programmer or tuner in order to program the chip? The forum seems split on which way to go. Some say the programmers are better because they allow you to retreive codes as well, but others say the chip is the way to go, especially the "flip chips". Can someone clear this up for me? Also please recommend which brand chip/programmer/tuner to buy! Thanks in advance.

Old 10-24-2004, 07:24 PM
BigRed350
Senior User
I forgot to mention, I don't do much towing, so basically what I'm looking for is improved power for the street, and increased mileage. I would also like to firm up my shifts and allow the tranny to stay in second gear longer. Right now, it shifts into third around 28 miles per hour, even if I'm standing on it. Can I acheive all of these things in a single program or chip?

Thanks!

Old 10-24-2004, 07:30 PM
Domino'sDiesel
Senior User
Tuner are the samething as programmers. The code reading is a plus, but more power is acheived with a chip. A chip is one power setting for your truck that is non adjustable. A flip chip can be programmed for different power settings and they can be changed on the fly, where as the tuners take a couple of minutes to change their settings.

Old 10-24-2004, 07:32 PM
Domino'sDiesel
Senior User
Tuner are the samething as programmers. The code reading is a plus, but more power is acheived with a chip. A chip is one power setting for your truck that is non adjustable. A flip chip can be programmed for different power settings and they can be changed on the fly, where as the tuners take a couple of minutes to change their settings.

Old 10-24-2004, 07:39 PM
BigRed350
Senior User
Thanks! Now that I know that a tuner and a programmer are the same animal, and that chips give more power and I can change the program on the fly, I will go the chip route. Do I need a programmer to program the chip to what I want, or do they come from the factory pre-programmed? I would like to be able to fine tune the chip for shift points, etc. Will I need both the chip and the programmer?

Old 10-25-2004, 02:52 PM
Domino'sDiesel
Senior User
No, the company you choose to buy your chip from will program it to your liking,and any time after that. Usually costs about a 100 dollars to have it reprogrammed.