Whats the "G" plan?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 07:50 AM
mick460
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats the "G" plan?

I visited a dealer here in Wiscosnin yesterday (10/23) and they have a G plan listed on their SD's that says $750 below invoice. I was interested but as usual the salesman was a new guy that was shipped in from the Chevy dealership and didn't know much about Ford plans. If anyone is in the market as I am PM me and I'll tell you the dealership. It is north and west of Milwaukee Wi.

Old 10-24-2004, 10:58 AM
SirHailstone
Elder User
Originally Posted by mick460
I visited a dealer here in Wiscosnin yesterday (10/23) and they have a G plan listed on their SD's that says $750 below invoice. I was interested but as usual the salesman was a new guy that was shipped in from the Chevy dealership and didn't know much about Ford plans. If anyone is in the market as I am PM me and I'll tell you the dealership. It is north and west of Milwaukee Wi.
1. Bad dealership, bad bad bad. Getting Shi.... errr I mean importing Bow Ties to sell Fords.

2. Sounds like this "G-Plan" is something invented by a crafty sales manager to make people think they're getting a good deal. Most Ford buyers know employees get cars on a "Plan" - most are X [vendors such as Navistar], if you're immediate family to a Ford (and I think Visteon but not sure) employee you're on A (active) or Z (retired).

3. Most know that a dealer can slap whatever they want to on the window and call it "invoice price" .. that's just part of the dealer's shell game. They're probably including rebates in that number so you're basically taking rebates off MSRP. If you're looking for a new truck go see 1956MarkII on here. It'll be worth the trip to upstate NY.

Old 10-24-2004, 02:08 PM
keith w
Posting Guru
I think SirHailstone is right on the money. 4 years ago I don't think the average buyer was aware that plan pricing existed. I am sure they knew there was a discount for Ford employees, but they did not know what it was called or how much it was. Then the term "X Plan" started leaking out to the public on message boards all over the place. I think this made employees of some companies aware of a discount they did not know that they qualified for. I know my friend bought a new car back in 2001 with X Plan after I had purchased using it. He was not even aware of it up until that point.

So I think with the new alphabet plans ( Y, G, whatever) some dealers decided they could name their own and make people think they are getting some kind of exclusive pricing. Not a bad thing I guess, as long as it really is a good deal.

Old 10-24-2004, 03:52 PM
jbone108
Senior User
maybe its the G I wish I had bought from another dealor plan

Old 10-24-2004, 07:29 PM
splashtm
Senior User
It's the "Gee, we'd really like to take your money and let you think you got a bargain" plan.

Old 10-25-2004, 10:53 AM
Percys Armory
Posting Guru
how is 750 below invoice a ripoff

Old 10-25-2004, 11:39 AM
Y-Guy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Percys Armory
how is 750 below invoice a ripoff
The question is what invoice? Some dealers make their own invoices and apply them. If the buyer doesn't do their homework they assume that is the invoice, so its hard to say if its a deal or not.

Let the buyer be aware!

Old 10-25-2004, 11:59 AM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No matter who the dealer is, you should verify the "invoice" amount. Of all the sites, believe it or not, I've found Carsdirect.com to be the most accurate. It's even more accurate than Ford's own site!

Old 10-25-2004, 03:05 PM
SirHailstone
Elder User
Originally Posted by Y-Guy
The question is what invoice? Some dealers make their own invoices and apply them. If the buyer doesn't do their homework they assume that is the invoice, so its hard to say if its a deal or not.

Let the buyer be aware!
Exactly. I've seen dealers have something that looks like it was done with MS-Word with the Blue Oval across the top, and reads "DEALER INVOICE" .. of course those of us in the know - know Ford's invoices don't look like that. Especially when there was no A/D/X/Z price listings on it. Someone posted on Mach1Registry.org what the genuine Ford invoice looks like, not sure if it's still posted, administratively deleted, or aged away.

I can't remember the name of the book - a writer got a job as a car salesperson and basically wrote a "how-to" book on unscrupulous dealers games. I think it's "How to buy a car for a rock bottom price" but I am likely wrong. I'll have to sort thru my book collection to find it.

Old 10-25-2004, 04:41 PM
mick460
Elder User
After some more investigating I think you guys are right. The "G" is the first letter of the dealers name, coinsidence? Asking around at other Blue Oval dealerships seemed to steer me away. Sly dogs that they are I will not do any business with them. In the local paper they also are running an ad that says in black and white, letters black, paper white, that they will lease an 05 SD 4X4 in any cab combo for $399. XLT with a few options as they list the price in the low to mid $40's. I was in there last year and asked about the $379 lease they were offering and it just os happened they sold that particular truck a "few days ago" To think there are honest harding working people that lay down good money for a screwing like this.

Old 10-25-2004, 06:17 PM
Rocky J
Elder User
My 2 cents- Avoid the dealerships with the screaming and annoying radio ads that get repeated every 20 minutes. If they are constantly advertising 'sales' then they are simply playing numbers games (with YOUR money). Find all the Ford dealers in your town that don't run 30 ads per day and get your price quotes from those dealers. Also check their inventory online if you prefer, much easier than walking from car to car and reading stickers.

If the ads are annoying and insulting to your intelligence, just how would you expect them to treat you in person?

Old 10-25-2004, 07:36 PM
SirHailstone
Elder User
Originally Posted by mick460
I was in there last year and asked about the $379 lease they were offering and it just os happened they sold that particular truck a "few days ago" To think there are honest harding working people that lay down good money for a screwing like this.
Bait and switch. Care to wager that they never had the vehicle they were offering the deal on in the first place???

I got that from a dealer in the Indy area [I won't name the place but it's initials are Pearson Ford] some years ago (1993 to be exact). As soon as I detected the switch I walked. They priced me a Ranger XL though I was buying a Ranger XLT. I knew he was because I found the exact Ranger I was looking for at another dealer and got the A plan price on it. I was looking in his book and pointed out to the salesman "Are you sure? You're much lower than anyone else!" well he insisted his numbers were right, so I agree to the deal as written. So I get TO'd to the sales manager and the sales manager looks at the numbers makes some corrections and says "oh he made a mistake this is the real price" ... I got up to leave and the mangler attempted to tell me we have a deal yadda yadda. I told them to perform unnatural sexual manouvres on themselves and left.

Old 10-25-2004, 08:03 PM
jbone108
Senior User
So I get TO'd to the sales manager and the sales manager looks at the numbers makes some corrections and says "oh he made a mistake this is the real price" ... I got up to leave and the mangler attempted to tell me we have a deal yadda yadda. I told them to perform unnatural sexual manouvres on themselves and left
I just don't understand how they can sell cars this way. when I buy a car I let the dealer tell me what he wants to sell me the car for then I tell them what I will pay. I will not change my number I always use a out the door price. I don't care about fees and charges just give me my price.