1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Replace mechanical fuel pump w/electric?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 08:13 PM
tonydshinycar
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Replace mechanical fuel pump w/electric?

Hey All! I need to replace the mechanical fuel pump (leaking) as the ongoing saga of my fixer'up 95' F350 crew cab. I saw somewhere on this great site that converting to electric is the way to go...
Should I convert to electric, if so can some pumps be suggested other than the pricey newer Ford ones?
Thanks, Tony D.

Old 10-22-2004, 02:26 AM
fedextech
Senior User
we have had this problem with my brothers 95 f350 psd. we've put 3 ford pumps and are on the second aftermarket ( lifetime warranty) pump. the aftermarket pump lasted longer, so on the last replacement we made and installed a heat shield / deflector to shield the pump from radiated heat from the turbo. so far, this is working. i still would like to know if anyone has a conversion to electric, as you know this mechanical pump is a lift pump and a high pressure pump, together. have a ford day!

Old 10-22-2004, 07:15 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 820 Likes on 625 Posts
The '99 and later PSD all have electric fuel pumps mounted on the frame rail below the driver's seat. I would relocate your pump to that position. Two advantages: Get away from the engine/turbo heat. And the fuel pump does not have to draw against gravity to prime itself if run dry. It's level with the bottom of the fuel tank.
When doing this job, don't get cheap fuel line. Get the good (expensive) high pressure fuel injection line that is rated for multi-fuel capacity. It was $50.00 for 10 feet at NAPA when I bought some for my truck, but I don't have to worry about the hose rotting from the inside out and little pieces clogging my injectors.

Old 10-22-2004, 08:05 AM
fedextech
Senior User
kwikkordead, have you actually converted one of the older trks to the electric pump? from what i see it's goning to take more than just mounting the pump and running new line. is there a web site, pics and a material list, somewhere? thanks!

Old 10-22-2004, 08:23 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
No I havn't. My personal knowledge of the PSD is limited to the truck that I own, a '99. And the information that I have been able to gather by reading here on this forum and elsewhere. Also I have 22 years experience as a VW mechanic that is very useful.
But you have converted your brothers right? Is it not a cylindrical motor with an inlet, outlet, and hoses on each end? That style would be an easy Saturday project to relocate. Or is it some specialty fuel pump that was made just for the PSD?

Addition. I see that you have not converted your early PSD. Hmm sorry about the ramblings.

Last edited by Kwikkordead; 10-22-2004 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:07 AM
gotdiesel
Senior User
im getting ready to replace my second fuel pump on my truck. i would be interested in replacing with an electric pump if it is possible. any info is greatly appreticated. just wish we could search and look for it! thanks for your help

Old 10-24-2004, 06:56 PM
tonydshinycar
Junior User
Question

Well, after further investigation I found that the mechanical pump has a low pressure 6-8 psi and a higher pressure 33 psi all built into one. I ordered a mechanical aftermarketZone pump for now...

Hey Kwik, since the 99 is electric, are there 2 pumps or just one high pressure pump? I'd really like to convert since I heard that the mechanical can fail and dump fuel into the crankcase, plus filter changes wouldn't be so hard on the starter.

Thanks again, Tony D.

Old 10-24-2004, 10:47 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
There is only one pump.