Brake Failure - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Brake Failure

Old 10-14-2004, 02:18 PM
New User

PBurns is starting off with a positive reputation.
Brake Failure

On three occasions the brakes on my 04 Expedition have failed. Twice was when towing a 5000 lb. trailer, and I assumed the problem was connected with that. But the other day when not towing I almost clobbered the car ahead of me when I had to make a hard stop. On the three occasions the pedal goes almost to the floor with little (but some) braking effect. The Ford garage cannot find anything wrong.
Has anyone else had this problem, or can anyone offer an opinion?
Old 10-14-2004, 02:31 PM
Senior User

Vernon_04_Expy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Holy!! That is not cool, have an 04 but no problems like that. I'm assuming the pads are good and the rotors as well. Did they checked the fluid. Maybe they should do a fliud flush for the hell of it.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:37 PM
Senior User

WillieWildcat is starting off with a positive reputation.
What in God's name is going on with the '04's? There sure have been an unusually high number of problems with them. As far as the brakes go, they checked all of the electronic brake components? Unless you are spewing fluid, the brake electronics are the only other things I can think of. Pads wouldn't give out so soon.........
Old 10-15-2004, 12:20 AM
Elder User

yardbird is starting off with a positive reputation.
There are some guys on the 04-05 F-150 side with the same problems. Please file a report with the government before some gets hurt or killed.

Here is the NHTSA link:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Here is the link to the truck brake thread.
http://www.fordtrucks.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=271111

This needs to be fixed. WAKE UP FORD!!!
Old 10-15-2004, 06:31 AM
New User

Thanks Yardbird. After reading that truck brake thread, I am really scared. I have printed it out to take to the dealer today, along with a copy of the complaint I have filed with the NHTSA.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:54 AM
Senior User

Big Craig is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looks like we will have to outsource your complaint to the proper department in Pakistan, where it can be forwarded to regional headquarters in Zimbabweh where one of our crack engineers in guam will get involved with as no one in America still has a decent paying job.
Do we need 4 more years of this?
Old 10-16-2004, 10:48 AM
Senior User

WillieWildcat is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Craig
Looks like we will have to outsource your complaint to the proper department in Pakistan, where it can be forwarded to regional headquarters in Zimbabweh where one of our crack engineers in guam will get involved with as no one in America still has a decent paying job.
Do we need 4 more years of this?

Oh boy, here we go. EXPY's. That's what we discuss here. Opinions are like, well.........you know the rest.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:13 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBurns
Thanks Yardbird. After reading that truck brake thread, I am really scared. I have printed it out to take to the dealer today, along with a copy of the complaint I have filed with the NHTSA.
Please report back on what your dealer says. Curious on whether they will replace the MC or wait till someone plows into something.

I'm gathering so far the build date and factory it was built at might narrow this down to something. Mine is 10/03 in Wayne, MI
Old 10-18-2004, 08:16 PM
Senior User

Big Craig is starting off with a positive reputation.
Oh Boy, Dont Even Get Me Started...
Old 10-18-2004, 09:08 PM
Posting Guru

Flash is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
While I don't have an EXPY, you might want to check under the hood. Start at the master cylinder and follow the brake lines. If it goes to a block with a round part on the side ( that is how my 04 SCrew looks ) you have a hydraboost system. The vacuum assist is not strong enough for the anti-lock brakes so everything goes thru the hydraboost. Failures in the Lincolns are common and it hard to believe that Ford put this junk on my truck. It may be on yours. Your computer and any electrical failure can cause the brakes to go bye-bye. Please be careful.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:02 AM
New User

Someone asked when and where my Expy was built. All the tag on the door frame says is "Built by Ford Motor Co. in the USA" and the date given is 10/03. As I think I said on this thread (but maybe it was the "brakes" one) Friday past I gave the Ford garage a cdopy of my complaint to NHTA and a printout of this and the "brakes" threads. No reaction to date. Will go there tomorrow if I don't hear anything today. The pads are good, but I haven't yet checked for a hydraboost.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:35 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBurns
Someone asked when and where my Expy was built. All the tag on the door frame says is "Built by Ford Motor Co. in the USA" and the date given is 10/03. As I think I said on this thread (but maybe it was the "brakes" one).
It was I, copy your VIN onto this Website below, it will decode you VIN to give that info.

VIN Decoder

It appears to be down right this minute, I also believe there are other sites that can do this.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:29 PM
New User

Wayne, MI October 2003 it was.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:16 AM
New User

Unclecups is starting off with a positive reputation.
OK I'm breakin my cherry here (first post). I am a service writer at a luxury car dealership, I picked up a sweet 2004 FX4-150 SCREW with 33k on it...(trade-in) build date 10/03. Never hit, never scratched, (ony chips) but had 2 fluid leaks... power steering line, and the rear diff cover.... rotors were grooved and squeaking, pads @ 15%. After finding this VERY COOL forum, i read TSBs for "brake pulsation" found early production equiped front rotors that have since been upgraded... So my first visit to my nearest Ford dealer, I told my service writer, "oil leaks front and rear of truck, brake pulsation at highway speeds and squeak"...(even tried to grease him with a $20, but he wouldn't accept) He calls me next day, "rear diff cover resealed with new synthetic fluid and limeted slip addative (bonus: due for service anyway), power steering hose on order.".... "oh, and we cut your front rotors"... I asked about the TSB re: Replacing front rotors, and the calipers and pads to fit them...... THE WRITER WAS NOT EVEN AWARE OF SUCH A TSB !!!! I told him to throw those rotors away and perform the correct repair !!!! I will fax you the TSB if you need. [{ I happen to know, the tech gets paid more hours, and the writer gets paid more dollars to machine rotors than to swap calipers, rotors and pads under warranty }]............he calls me the next day and admits that my truck DOES apply to the TSB and they were replacing calipers, rotors and pads......... but it will be $45 to retrieve my door pad key code.....HA no thanks. (tech was pissed to do 2 brake jobs on my truck and only get paid for 1, so no freebies) ...................
---Whew ! sorry so winded...... but I love my rig, it's my first Ford, and I'm happy to join the family....... I'm planning to spoil her, and I'll post pictures and specs when she's done......
Old 05-21-2006, 02:25 AM
Senior User

austinjorg is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclecups
OK I'm breakin my cherry here (first post). I am a service writer at a luxury car dealership, I picked up a sweet 2004 FX4-150 SCREW with 33k on it...(trade-in) build date 10/03. Never hit, never scratched, (ony chips) but had 2 fluid leaks... power steering line, and the rear diff cover.... rotors were grooved and squeaking, pads @ 15%. After finding this VERY COOL forum, i read TSBs for "brake pulsation" found early production equiped front rotors that have since been upgraded... So my first visit to my nearest Ford dealer, I told my service writer, "oil leaks front and rear of truck, brake pulsation at highway speeds and squeak"...(even tried to grease him with a $20, but he wouldn't accept) He calls me next day, "rear diff cover resealed with new synthetic fluid and limeted slip addative (bonus: due for service anyway), power steering hose on order.".... "oh, and we cut your front rotors"... I asked about the TSB re: Replacing front rotors, and the calipers and pads to fit them...... THE WRITER WAS NOT EVEN AWARE OF SUCH A TSB !!!! I told him to throw those rotors away and perform the correct repair !!!! I will fax you the TSB if you need. [{ I happen to know, the tech gets paid more hours, and the writer gets paid more dollars to machine rotors than to swap calipers, rotors and pads under warranty }]............he calls me the next day and admits that my truck DOES apply to the TSB and they were replacing calipers, rotors and pads......... but it will be $45 to retrieve my door pad key code.....HA no thanks. (tech was pissed to do 2 brake jobs on my truck and only get paid for 1, so no freebies) ...................
---Whew ! sorry so winded...... but I love my rig, it's my first Ford, and I'm happy to join the family....... I'm planning to spoil her, and I'll post pictures and specs when she's done......
Which TSB are you referring to?