Notices

differential covers...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 06:33 PM
godxofxemptiness
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
differential covers...

im planning on getting a differential cover for my `95 F150. i saw these ones in a magazine... they're clear. You can see the gears and such. They look pretty sweet, and i was thinking about putting a little light in the top and sealing it up, and hooking it up to my lights so at night it will light up.

any negative thoughts on the clear ones? my truck is a daily driver. i take it out in the dirt occasionally but nothing crazy.

Thanks

Old 10-02-2004, 06:43 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What would they be made out of to be clear... plastic??

My gut feeling is that they wouldn't last... but that's just my opinion.

Old 10-02-2004, 06:45 PM
godxofxemptiness
New User
i was thinking that too... but the idea seems fun ;D

Old 10-02-2004, 09:32 PM
racsan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well, the cover on the rear of my 8.8 ranger is a nylon or composite type of material. with a clear cover you could see your oil level and condition. you wouldnt want to be banging it into anthing though. i like the cover i saw at ranger station. it doubles capacity and can be ordered with a drain plug. very heavily built. 120-130 bucks. i'll probly just get a stock steel cover off a bronco at a junkyard. got to make shure i can get the fill plug out first, the front diff plug was in so tight i had to use a hydralic bottle jack up agaisnt a wrench to get it loose. the plug on the 8.8 in the rear isnt so easy to get at.

Old 10-10-2004, 03:13 PM
mjwhip2
Elder User
I think the ones you are talking about are ClearGearz.com. They are made from a polycarbonate which is supposed to be very strong, however, I can't see how they would look very good driving down the road with gear oil splashing around in there. If you are looking for something that makes it easy to check levels and condition of your gear oil I would suggest something along the lines of These.
They have a dipstick (magnetic) and also a drain plug (also magnetic).
The only problem with the mag-hytec is the price, around $230 for a Ford 8.8 and the Cleargearz are about $140.
Good luck
Mike