1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Nobody knows the answer to this one

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 12:18 AM
locknkey
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I gotten to codes when I got my 86, I replaced the computer and now I get codes......thats just like a Ford "Techie" to claim that high mileage engines "just do that"....replacing the computer didn't cost but 125.00 plus exchanged at the local parts store...your choice.

Old 10-16-2004, 09:50 PM
The Weezle
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just The Weezles Opinion but the map sensor has a vacume line that runs to it and if broken or leaking would cause the problem you relate check the vac line to the map sensor end to end better yet replace it with new not that expensive hope it helps

Old 10-18-2004, 08:08 PM
D Harry
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yo,
Mister Trial and Error.....

I don't think you can adjust the idle. The computer will readjust for you after you get done messing around.
I have a new ECT... the second new one.... This time I got a FORD ECT and there was no difference. I think it might have something to do with how the TPS is adjusted in relationship to the throttle stop screw. But then, this will open up a new can of worms.. As I said earlier, I cleaned my IAC and put a little oil inside of it. I though maybe it was just to tight and didn't move or adjust right away. I'm back to "one time starts", and now that it's getting cold out it starts better. By the way. I don't get any codes either.
I have a new computer. Yep. $125 smackers. Truck runs good. Lets all get together for a "cold truck startup competition" ! And document everyones cold start condition. Ha!

Old 10-18-2004, 08:23 PM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Could you get the Computer from Ford, or an auto parts store?

Old 10-18-2004, 09:25 PM
locknkey
Posting Guru
Any Auto Parts store unless you want to pay big bucks for it, be sure to get the same number thats on your old one as it does matter..........and by the way, You can ADJUST the set screw on an EFI engine, here's how, after you got everything working and the computer has what it needs to run your truck correctly, (boot up after 30 min complete battery disconnection of course) After the engine has warmed up to operating temp, turn off and disconnect the battery neg cable, here's the trick, within 3 min, do the adjustment, either up or down depending on how slow or fast its running, and turn your set screw 1/4 of a turn, reconnect the cable and start engine, After running for 10 min. if your satisfied, complete by turning off. Do this till you are happy with the adjustment of the idle. This part came from an mechanic's book and it was just as brief. it wasn't an Haynes or a Clinton, it was his service book on these EFI engines.

Old 10-19-2004, 09:11 PM
D Harry
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lock and Key, that's a new one on me! My version of adjusting the set screw goes like this. ... After the truck is warmed up, disconnect the IAC electric connector and turn the throttle stop screw (closing the throttle) until you get a "death idle" (right before the motor is about to die.) Then check your TPS voltage and adjust to 1.0 volt. Plug the IAC back in and drive it........

Old 10-19-2004, 10:04 PM
locknkey
Posting Guru
Thats what the book said....I tried it and it worked, so I'm happy anyway. Its simple to the point. The Haynes and Clinton's Book says you can't do it...and you described another way, so either way that works...whatever makes you happy.

Old 10-30-2004, 02:00 AM
beeturbo
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

youve got a simple problem dont even worry it'll cost u about $20 bucks or less to fix!
open the hood and look in the corner or thr drivers fender and the firewall and there will be a fuel pump relay ,if its still hanging from the holder remove it and it should be green and black , replace it ! if its not in a holder make sure u mount it up right because if its lying on its side sometimes the contacts wont easily make conection, next look under the dash on the drivers side and locate the EEC computer(engine controller) silver box with a large multi wire harness bolted to it should be between the ashtray and the accelerator pedal under the dash, once u locate it look or feel beside it there should be a relay close to it , it will be brown and black its the EEC Power Relay, a lot of times the contacts and or wires can be corroded by moisture from a/c, heat and weather over the years, it when the key iss turned on it activates the computer(EEC Microprocessor) and then the EEc processor activates the fuel pump by the fuel pump relay , when this relay fells it can intermittently cause a know start by not allowing the fuel pump relay to activate fuel pump on the initial try or by not allowing the control module on the distributor to fire. i had an 86 302 Efi Bronco that gave the previous owner hell and sold it to me because he didnt want to drop the tank to put in a fuel pump lol took me 2 days to figure out the problem once i got the fuel pump tp run bypassing the fuel pump relay. good luck.

Last edited by beeturbo; 10-30-2004 at 02:05 AM.