Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
84 2.8 auto runs terribly after sitting for a short time

Old 12-12-2001, 05:58 PM
Ian 84 BII
New User

Hi all: first post. I have an 84 BII with the 2.8 and what an automotive instructor friend calls the 'abortion carburator'. It starts okay and, other than idling too high, runs ok. However, if I leave it for 15-30 minutes, it can't seem to find the correct idle and will stall constantly if I miss blipping the throttle. This goes on for 20 minutes or so and it then seems to correct itself. Any ideas???

A bit of background. When I bought this truck, the engine had just been rebuilt. However, all the pollution gear had been disconnected. The wiring harness had been opened and the wires to the EGR, TPS, carb, knock sensor, etc, all cut. The harness was then taped up again. Also, the vaccuum harness was thrown out and a non-electronic carb put on. I have managed to find all the necessary pieces at the wreckers and went back to the vendor to get the original carb. After rewiring everything, I even managed to get the tank through AirCare (our emissions test) although its numbers weren't great. The last piece missing was the knock sensor which I finally replaced this weekend. It has never managed to hold an even idle speed although reading through the posts here have me wondering if it ever will.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I see a lot of comments about changing carbs but I have to pass the emissions test or I can't insure the vehicle.

Thanks,
Ian

Old 12-14-2001, 09:09 PM
400m
Senior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 14-Dec-01 AT 10:11 PM (EST)]It sounds to me like classic carburator load up. My advice is to get a new carburator and make sure you have absolutely no vacum leaks.