Offroad & 4x4
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of shocks do you suggest and why?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 04:09 AM
s1120
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The main dif with the gas shocks, is they have pressured gas inside of them to stop the oil from foaming. Ever notice how the old non gas shocks dont work as well when hot, or used hard? Thats why. the oil is foaming.

Old 09-28-2004, 05:37 AM
F150newf
Senior User
Pro comps pricey? I paid 91 bucks for four shocks.....far from pricey. and I dont care after a season of trashing they are shot because they have a lifetime warranty on them....and No, I did not pay for the boots.....

Old 09-28-2004, 11:12 AM
Sgt_Pepper17
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I can say from your last post that you sounded as if you paid 91 bucks per shock not for four shocks total. Personally, I'ld rather not replace them every year anyhow. But thanks for the post man.

Old 09-28-2004, 12:08 PM
Skipped_link
Elder User
One thing to remember is that there is a good possibility that most lower priced shocks are made by the same company and just have a rancho, heckthorn, procomp, fabtech, ezride, superlift, or skyjacker sticker on them, to get into a shock with more disign and thought put into them you will be looking at a considerably higher price, if you don't mind paying a little more for a good shock I would see what blistien offers for your truck, the rancho RS9000 is a good shock and the adjustability is nice to but they are also a little pricey, Iwould stay away from the lower priced ranchos (RS5000) and procomp shocks, form my experience I thought they were a little rougher riding shock, I also have the skyjacker hydros and superlift hydros (almost certain they are the same shock) they are not to bad but if I new what I know now I would have gotten the Blistiens instead, If money is no object the King shocks or Fox shocks are cream of the crop, but you better be ready to bed over when you order them,
my current project truck will be running the King coilovers so I've already looked at there prices, looks like I'll be bending over this spring,

Old 09-28-2004, 09:11 PM
bremen242
Postmaster
Originally Posted by fishmanndotcom
basically a hydro uses an oil type liquid that moves through valves and cycles through the ups and downs of rough terrain....gas shocks on the other hand are pressurized which it is constantly pushing up.

you take a gas and a hydro and set them side by side....compress the gas one by hand and it will spring back, do the same to the hydro and it will stay!

i don't think the gas shocks have as bad a problem with heat as the hydros do and heat is a bad thing cause it will cause the shock to fade and the ride will get rougher

-cutts-
hate to tell you man, but if you have a hydro shock that doesn't push itself back up, then it is shot.. they all return to the fully extended length when left uninhibited.

Old 09-28-2004, 09:27 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmmmm, thats weird, I've seen at least one brand (don't remember the brand but they were new) of hydro that doesn't self-extend like that. I thought they were all like that, just like fishy described, but it was an assumption. Now I'm curious what the definitive word is...

Old 09-28-2004, 09:33 PM
eastvanmikee
Junior User
just installed a new set of BDS hydraulic shocks in a 79 bronco with quad shocks...beats the hell out of the rancho 5000s I took off...washboard all day like nothing!!!rancho's are too stiff for uneven roads on a light truck..just my $0.02 worth

Old 09-28-2004, 10:36 PM
rioghalmo
Freshman User
my hydros didn't spring back when I bought them-like cutts said.

Old 09-28-2004, 11:52 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
lol none of the hydro shocks i have ever installed (rancho, skyjacker, superlift, and trailmaster) don't spring back up, and all were brand new. think about the physics....a pressurized tube would but a liquid filled tube more than likely won't!

i am just merely stating what i have found to be true on my applications

-cutts-

Old 09-29-2004, 05:25 AM
F150newf
Senior User
My pro comps did'nt spring when compressed...they are brand new.

Old 09-29-2004, 07:34 AM
bremen242
Postmaster
Originally Posted by fishmanndotcom
lol none of the hydro shocks i have ever installed (rancho, skyjacker, superlift, and trailmaster) don't spring back up, and all were brand new. think about the physics....a pressurized tube would but a liquid filled tube more than likely won't!

i am just merely stating what i have found to be true on my applications

-cutts-
hmm. I bet the all ones I've used have a partial nitro charge with the oil. I've never used any fancy hydros, just regular monroes & gabriel hydro shocks..

so I eat my words..

Old 09-29-2004, 04:20 PM
rioghalmo
Freshman User
So do the hydros give a rougher ride-somebody asked earlier and I didn't see a response. I have a 79 also, but a 150, with quad shock set up in front-I could use some advise on whether the hydros or gas will make the ride rougher. Right now it could be a little softer-Im running the cheap pro comps.

Old 09-29-2004, 04:25 PM
bremen242
Postmaster
Originally Posted by rioghalmo
So do the hydros give a rougher ride-somebody asked earlier and I didn't see a response. I have a 79 also, but a 150, with quad shock set up in front-I could use some advise on whether the hydros or gas will make the ride rougher. Right now it could be a little softer-Im running the cheap pro comps.
My dad has sworn up and down that nitros ride worse than hydros. I think either one will do as long as you find one that works best with your truck.

I had cheapie nitros on my f-150 and they rode great...

Old 09-30-2004, 12:00 AM
Sgt_Pepper17
Senior User
I looked at those Bilsteins. They were the OEM replacements. Are they really that much better than say the Rancho RSX17000 or the RS5000? I ask about the OEM replacements because they are the most comparable in price. I really don't want to spend more then 60 or 70 bucks a shock. Thanks.

Old 09-30-2004, 02:06 AM
jfinlen
Senior User
Gabriel Gas adjust from Pep-Boys. 24$ a shock and they ride pretty good at speed. On the slow stuff they are a little too soft and tend to bounce, but once up to speed they are pretty good. If you want cheaper get the red gas shocks at 15$ each. For really Cheap you can get the blue hydros for around 12$ each sometimes 7-8$ each.

Bilsteins are really good, but pricey. They claim to have 100,000 mile warranty, but the ones on my Tacoma were shot at 50K highway miles. So I don't know about that 100K thing.

Quick Reply: What kind of shocks do you suggest and why?