Newcomer with towing questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 12:32 PM
Squirrel RJ
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newcomer with towing questions

I'll be towing a 25ft center console boat this weekend about 40 miles on almost all flat roads, the boat weighs about 5775 on the trailer.

My question is obviously, the truck should be able to tow 70-75 MPH on the highway I assume?, safely of course.

I am fairly new to towing in general, I towed alot with my ranger but this will be my first experience with the new truck.

I will be towing with

2004 F-150 FX4
5.4 3v
3.73's
Tow package.

Just making sure I have everything in order before towing this weekend.

Old 09-26-2004, 05:50 PM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honestly, I would probably tow that boat about 10 mph under the posted speed limit. That is a pretty heavy load for your truck, should handle fine but stopping could get a little hairy. I would just be on the safe side.

Fire rooster

Old 09-26-2004, 06:52 PM
Loan Ranger
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I feel Fire Rooster has a very valid point. I don't see the truck having any problem towing the boat. However, IF the boat trailer has NO brakes or if it has only SURGE brakes, then there could be a bit of difficulty stopping safely and under full control.
Some of the newer boat trailers now have a Dexter sealed electric brake system that is immersible with, they say, no problems. (I have not used it, so I couldn't say if that is correct or not; however, Dexter has been in the business for quite a long time and, I would think, their system should perform as advertised.)

Be all that as it may, for safety's sake, I would tow slower and allow even more following distance than common, for 5,775 pounds of boat is a lot to stop!

Good luck, though, and I surely hope you have a safe and happy trip!!

Old 09-26-2004, 07:41 PM
Squirrel RJ
New User
Forgot to add that, the trailer has disc brakes, they are surge brakes as well.

I appreciate the advice, as a novice to the towing aspect of trucks, I will take extra caution while driving, I certainly don't want anything to happen to the truck or the boat.

Old 09-26-2004, 08:08 PM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are a smart man squirrel

Old 09-27-2004, 05:06 PM
Steina
CO River Rat

Squirrel -

Make sure your trailer is as level as you can get it - surge brake actuators don't take kindly to the tongue being tilted up or down!!! Also, you'll need a way to lock-out the surge brakes when you back up, if your trailer doesn't have an electric solenoid that operates off the reverse lights.

I agree with Fire and Loan, keep your speed reasonable and watch out for knuckleheads cutting in front of you. Have fun this weekend!!!

Steve