Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Air Intake Filter Systems

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 04:45 PM
mann241
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Air Intake Filter Systems

I want to get rid of my stock air filter on my 2001 7.3 X. I was considering a whole new assembly like the Afe, Tymar, or AIS. I spoke to a reputable vendor who says I should save the money and simply drop in an after market K & N cotton fiber filter. He said that they ran tests and the air flow and filtration were alot better than the stock and that a whole new system really wouldn't make much more of a difference beyond what the K & N drop in would do. The vehicle is stock except for a Banks Monster Exhaust. Thanks for you suggestions.

Old 09-25-2004, 05:06 PM
TheHammer69
Junior User
Originally Posted by mann241
I want to get rid of my stock air filter on my 2001 7.3 X. I was considering a whole new assembly like the Afe, Tymar, or AIS. I spoke to a reputable vendor who says I should save the money and simply drop in an after market K & N cotton fiber filter. He said that they ran tests and the air flow and filtration were alot better than the stock and that a whole new system really wouldn't make much more of a difference beyond what the K & N drop in would do. The vehicle is stock except for a Banks Monster Exhaust. Thanks for you suggestions.
There was test posted recently that showed K&N had the WORST filtration of the MANY filters tested, it did flow good though. Personally, I would go with the AIS because it filters great and flows decent too. The AFE stage2 will flow even better but filter somewhere between the AIS and K&N. The Tymar has good filtration and decent flow but it sucks high temperature air from under the hood and that is why It gets dropped from my list. So there you have it, IMHO I would choose between AIS or AFE stage2. AIS has the better filtration edge & is cheaper and the AFE has the better flow edge. Since both filters will flow more air than what your truck needs unless you go way extreme in the mods department and need extreme air flow, I'd take the AIS.

Hammer

Old 09-25-2004, 05:19 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Old 09-25-2004, 05:37 PM
RussB
Posting Guru
Are the AIS and the AFE stage 2 drop in air filters ?? And where can I get them from up here in BC ?? I like what kwikkordead did with his, but I would like to keep the stock air box in my truck.. I do alot of driving up here in the rain and muddy roads ans I'm affraid of the filter getting crap all in it.. my last trip I had mud spray all over the air box as it was..

Old 09-25-2004, 06:01 PM
CAT_man_963
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally - I'd skip the K&N in the stock air box - or any other filter in the stock air box for that matter. Check into the AFE stage I kit - it keeps the bottom portion of the factory air box, gives you a big cone filter and a comes with a new top part of the airbox that seals against the bottom of the hood. That would give you the better airflow, and still have it sealed off from anything under the hood. That's what I have on my truck, and I haven't got any complaints with it.

Old 09-25-2004, 06:02 PM
crapr6
Senior User
Hey guys, I just installed the AFE cold air intake system today. Went on rather quickly in about 20mins..it has a 4in pipe that goes to the turbo, open element filter,and a big old heat sheild that raps around the filter and is seal with the hood closed. Not a bad system, just a bit pricey at $283.00 including tax. Performance wise, stock airbox i was at 15pounds boost max with EGT at about 1,000 degrees at 3,000rpms in 4th gear. Now with cold air intake boost went to 17-18pounds boost max with EGT at about 950 degrees at 3,000rpms in 4th gear..Really can't feel the power diffrence, but i know the EGT's are a little lower now and u can here the turbo spooling up now. Oh yeah i also have the Diamondeyes 4in exhaust with no cat and straight through muffler with 3in down pipe..next is the powerchips programer..just figured i tell everyone out there what to expect with a cold air intake system installed on there truck. anybody out there have anything to add with what i said? thanks guys for reading
Erik
this is a post i have just did about 5 hours ago....ive been driving the truck all day now and i love it...sounds good,plus 2-3 pounds boost extra..

Old 09-25-2004, 10:11 PM
01stroker
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Ford severe duty AIS is a kit that replaces the stock boxes on the 7.3's. It is not a drop in. It will not cause warranty problems. It is the same type system that is on the 6.0's. The cheapest I've seen is fordpartsnetwork.com for $189. I don't think the afe is a drop in either.

Old 09-25-2004, 11:27 PM
troutnut1
Junior User
I sure love the Tymar filter on my truck and Dales' service has always been top notch. I love being able to just open the hood and instantly visualize the filter and its condition. Rural Montana is pretty extreme weather wise and road wise, and I've never had any problems with the filter getting wet. Its hydrophobic and resists water anyway.

Old 09-26-2004, 06:40 AM
tobetaxfree
Junior User
I just installed the Tymar in my 97, and it was very easy. The filter is huge, and I like the constant torque clamps that come with it. The service was great from Dale. The whole thing was around 120. I got an additional filter, and chose the black powder coating, but for the 120, I felt like I got a good deal. I think that any system you get would be an improvement over stock. Each person has different reasons for their choices. Warranty issues, price, and filtration ability would all factor in. Do the research and make the right choice for you.