Bronco II Ford Bronco II

4x4 tech question....hello?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 07:28 PM
Bronco2guy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I subscribed to the previous topic about whether or not it was ok to leave your hubs locked all the time and I keep getting e-mails saying that there have been new posts in the thread but then when I get here none have shown up. I don't know if this is just happening for ME or if there is something wrong with the thread, in any case, would someone please answer that question again in THIS thread for my benifit. thanks.

Joe

Old 12-18-2002, 08:42 PM
mjb1962
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your hubs are disengaged the axles, gears, and front driveshaft are not spinning resulting in no wear. If you leave the hubs locked then all of the above are spinning, but under a no load condition resulting in little to no wear. Spinning everything once in a while is actually good as it lubricates the moving parts. Gas mileage will be slightly less.
I lock the hubs if I think I will need 4 wheel drive. Then I can easily shift in and out of 4 wheel drive. Sometimes I leave them locked for weeks if conditions require 4 wheel drive with no problems other than a bit more vibration due to the front driveshaft spinning. Just don't drive on dry surfaces with 4 wheel drive engaged.
Mark

Old 12-19-2002, 10:46 AM
Squiggy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new design of 4x4 dont have hubs to lock and unlock. Its no big deal. The shafts spin on the front all the time. but the sense there is that all the new ones are epuipped with CV joint rather than Ujoints which wear faster when used at sharp angles like on turns. So for your question, I think it would be a good idea to disengage on highway trips and sometimes in the city, you know when its summer and 4x isnt needed to much.:-X12

Old 12-19-2002, 10:56 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts