2150 aggrivating ....

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 08:56 PM
longview1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 2150 aggrivating ....

I finally had to stop trying to tune this peice up today or i was gonna do something i would regret.

I got new gaskets, put carb on. Fire it up.
Heres the dilly: I have to back the idle screws out about 12 turns to get it to idle, other wise it wont,when first started, and when warm, the vacuum is around 13 if i turn the mixture screws in anymore. This means the idle adj screw is completely backed of, not touching the throttle at all. It is still running rich, strong gassy smell, and diesels a bit. There is a bit of leak at the back carb retaining nut, i tighten it to a certain point then it strips. Need new studs.

also, where ive got it set right now it idles at about 1000, and when driving say in second and accelerating I shift to 3rd but the rpm doesnt drop, and when i come to a stop sign put clutch in, it stays around 1400-1500rpm. It almost dies when i leave stop sign in 2nd gotta give er some juice.

Many problems I know, first i should fix the leak, Maybe a carb rebuild too?

Old 09-19-2004, 10:23 PM
hdgapeach
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eliminate the vacuum leaks first or you'll never get the thing to cooperate. Then adjust the choke. Next run the mix screws in till seated (easy, don't want to damage the screws or seats) and back them out 1-1/2 to 2 turns equally. If everything else is close to normal, you should be at a good starting point to get it running decent enough to further tune the carb and timing, or do more diagnosing.

Old 09-19-2004, 10:31 PM
longview1
Fleet Mechanic
roger that,
Ill fix the leak tomorow.
thanks man

Old 09-20-2004, 06:18 PM
longview1
Fleet Mechanic
Man, i didnt think a little leak would cause that much of a problem.
I bought some new studs and nuts/washers, and i also put that other spacer back in as well. Wow what a difference , runs like a top now. Im happy.

There is a bit of gas leaking out the throttle peice that goes into the carb, so i got a rebuild kit anyways, maybe do that some day.

Old 09-20-2004, 08:32 PM
hdgapeach
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gives you all kinds of warm fuzzies when something you're working on comes out like you hope it will!