1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What degree of rake for hot rod stance???

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 07:55 AM
svooom
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What degree of rake for hot rod stance???

I just got my frame back from the blaster and I'm getting ready to weld in all my goodies that I've accumulated over the past 6 months. I've taken all my measurements and am just about ready to tack in my MII IFS crossmember. The directions say to weld in the crossmember so that it is parallel to the ground at "ride height".

How the heck am I supposed to know what my ride height is going to be when my frame is up on jack stands? What is a "normal" degree of rake on a lowered F100? Are we talking 2, 5, 10 degrees?????? Your suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks - Brad

Old 09-17-2004, 11:00 AM
mt54
Posting Guru
I did some reading and research at that point cuz I had the same thoughts as you, ended up setting it up with a 5 degree rake. Hope this helps
Mike

Old 09-17-2004, 11:24 AM
minuteman
Freshman User
Forgive me, but what is "rake". I have a NO LIMIT Wideride IFS and I don't remember seeing anything about "rake" in the instructions. Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

Old 09-17-2004, 12:20 PM
mt54
Posting Guru
Rake is the slope of the stance from back to front, In my opinion this is done by mounting your front end(ifs will lower the front end) and making any hieght adjustments in the rear. You really don't want it to steep, but yet a bit of rake is a very nice look IMO
Mike

Old 09-17-2004, 12:39 PM
svooom
Senior User
Thanks for your help MT54,
I was thinking anywhere between 2 and 5 would be good so your right on. I'm bagging the front and rear so all of this is sort of a pain because the ride height is going to be what ever I want it to be at any given moment. I just want to make sure that I set everything up at the bags recommended ride height.

Thanks again - Brad

Old 09-17-2004, 01:06 PM
mt54
Posting Guru
Glad to help, I know how ya feel when you have just the frame sittin there on stands it can be a bit over whelming trying to make sure that you've concidered everything before you get to far. Oh well one day at a time one project at a time.
GOOD LUCK. I tried to see your gallery couldn't access any pics ?

Mike

Old 09-17-2004, 01:56 PM
oldfordtrucker
Junior User
Measuring and fitting can be very frustrating. It seems like nothing is square or symetrical and you are trying to measure between imaginary points is space. I ran into the same concerns installing a Volare in my 55. Some thoughts on getting it right the first time: You are correct to want the suspension to be in the center of it's travel at normal driving height. I get the impression that in most cases this means the A frames are essentially parallel to the ground. Raising or lowering with the bags for "show effect" will probably be at rest or slow crusing. Suspension concerns will be at a minimum, so set it up for go, adjust the bags for show. The next step is determing the height of the chassis in relation to the ground. You have to decide what the OD of the front tires will be to do this. (Keep in mind that the tires will compress a bit on the bottom. Measure from the ground to the center of the spindle using the front tire radius ( as close as you can figure) , jack the frame up or down until the spindle is at that height (or, if possible mount a tire) ,then make sure the A frames are essentially parallel to the ground. This will be your front ride height. Secure the frame at that height and go to the rear and determine how much higher you want the frame for the desired rake. It is really helpful to have taken measurements prior to disassembly so you could determine some real world distances between the ground and the botom of the frame, or the front bumper or something so you can be close on where the truck will actually sit. Use the same concept on the rear: Measure the OD of the rear tires you will use and set the frame at your desired rake and that should get you set up to install the rear suspension. You have some room for error with the bags, but try to be as close as possible when determing normal drive height.

Ther are a lot of people who have a lot more experince than I do in this area. (I did mine, thats it), but the concepts , I believe, are sound. I hope this helps. Good luck.