1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

cheapest runnin boards

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 08:23 PM
innecity4wheelin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cheapest runnin boards

i was pricing the after market replacements for my 55 through sacramento vintage and they seemed to be goin for 5 bills or so, i can get them on ebay for about 4 bills shipped. i am thinking i want to stick to steel n orig, any other sources i should check?
thanx

Old 09-16-2004, 08:53 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
If youre interested, I have an email for a small dealer in OK that will sell the ebay boards for about $350 shipped. Email me for his email address. They are repops from China. Fit extremely well but have some wave on the edge. Top is very nice. The boards from original dies are worn out and have different flaws that are not too attractive. I think there are also US repops now on new dies. Not sure of the quality but likely good.

Old 09-17-2004, 07:38 AM
merc546
Posting Guru
I bought a pair of running boards off of the guy in ok who sells on E-Bay. The pair that I recieved were total junk (large dents,welds broken,welds burned thru,brackets hanging loose) I will say he did return my money with no problems.

I then bought another pair from Dennis Carpenter for about $400.00 (I think they were on sale) this pair was excellent for repops (edges not as sharp as original) but I have a friend who also bought a pair from Carpenter and he was not vary happy with them.

Chuck

Old 09-17-2004, 11:27 AM
minuteman
Freshman User
I have been told fenders, running boards all come from the same place. Is this incorrect info?

Mike

Old 09-17-2004, 12:23 PM
merc546
Posting Guru
The first running boards that I bought were from China if I remember correctly and I thought Carpenters were made here. I know alot of his stuff is made in other countrys.

Chuck

Old 09-17-2004, 01:21 PM
innecity4wheelin
Senior User
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

this is the link, i figure any thing i get might need work, kinda like the sorta-fit (certi-fit) stuff we got up here. like workin with steel more than fiberglass.. fenders, i will e-mail ya as soon as i get this posted, appreciate the hook up.
innecity4wheelin

Old 09-17-2004, 04:50 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine has fiberglass boards on it. Made by Fairlane Company. Good quality and fit. So far so good, and if I ever need to go surfin', I'm ready Dudes. John

Old 09-17-2004, 05:35 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by merc546
I bought a pair of running boards off of the guy in ok who sells on E-Bay. The pair that I recieved were total junk (large dents,welds broken,welds burned thru,brackets hanging loose) I will say he did return my money with no problems.

I then bought another pair from Dennis Carpenter for about $400.00 (I think they were on sale) this pair was excellent for repops (edges not as sharp as original) but I have a friend who also bought a pair from Carpenter and he was not vary happy with them.

Chuck
I think I know who you are talking about. I am not referring to the same dealer Chuck. At least I hope not. I am talking about Tim McCarthy from Macs F100s (not the Mac's from NY). He has been nothing but good to me. Filled his Aerostar up with nice body parts and hauled them to PF last year. Killed everyones prices on some very decent sheetmetal. He does sell on eBay some, but prices are better off eBay. Shipping is very reasonable. Bought from him about 5 times, thrilled every time. Usually high dollar parts.

Old 09-17-2004, 05:58 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by minuteman
I have been told fenders, running boards all come from the same place. Is this incorrect info?

Mike
Mike

I don't recall saying that? It isn't true. I will make this statement at the risk of being wrong.

1. The factory dies are still around and punching out boards. They are worn out and have creases across the top that aren't attractive. The creases aren't really original, just a result of worn equipment.

2. There are China repops. I own a set. They are cheap and fit excellent but the edges need work for a perfect truck. I have these on my truck. The outside edge has light waves. Doesn't affect fit.

3. I have heard Dennis Carpenter made new dies. Best guess is they are pretty good. And a guess is all it is.

Old 09-17-2004, 07:49 PM
innecity4wheelin
Senior User
so how do i get in touch with this Tim McCarthy? i am ready to lay some dough down. i figure i want my truck done fast b/c i am goin broke anyways...lol i can work two jobs driving my truck , i cant stand workin for only garage cruzin...lol

Old 09-17-2004, 08:21 PM
fking1
Elder User
Bought mine from Carpenter for $500. Made from the original Ford dies. Surface quality is very good. Spot welded sides fell off and Carp gave me a $50 credit. Had them rewelded on. I recommend these. You get what you pay for (most of the time LOL)
Fred K.

Old 09-18-2004, 12:32 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by innecity4wheelin
so how do i get in touch with this Tim McCarthy? i am ready to lay some dough down. i figure i want my truck done fast b/c i am goin broke anyways...lol i can work two jobs driving my truck , i cant stand workin for only garage cruzin...lol
I found his card tonight. Shoot me an email and I'll give you his email and phone number. Can't post email addresses on the forum.

Old 09-18-2004, 06:48 PM
1955effie
Senior User
saw this at a local rod show

i thought this idea was kind of neat. a guy took the measurements of the original runningboards and brought them to a guy that made a set out of the same type of wood that was in the bed , in his case it was black walnut. i know that this is only an idea for someone doing a custom truck and would not go over to well on a restored truck.

Old 09-18-2004, 07:07 PM
merc546
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fatfenders
I think I know who you are talking about. I am not referring to the same dealer Chuck. At least I hope not. I am talking about Tim McCarthy from Macs F100s (not the Mac's from NY). He has been nothing but good to me. Filled his Aerostar up with nice body parts and hauled them to PF last year. Killed everyones prices on some very decent sheetmetal. He does sell on eBay some, but prices are better off eBay. Shipping is very reasonable. Bought from him about 5 times, thrilled every time. Usually high dollar parts.

Yeah It was him just didn't want to name names the reason being he did return my money.

Chuck

Old 09-19-2004, 11:06 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by merc546
Yeah It was him just didn't want to name names the reason being he did return my money.

Chuck
Chuck

I guess that's the risk of recommending specific vendors here. Tim sold me front fenders, running boards, tailgate, and many other non-body parts. 20% or more under on larger vendors. Often the identical branded part. Doesn't gouge on shipping. Delivers to shows for free. Great parts so far. It sounds like he was offing some less than perfect pieces on eBay. Lot's of vendors do it. It certainly isn't OK unless they accurately describe condition. Sorry it happened to you.

I had a real bad one with a large CA F100 vendor. Junk parts delivered months late. Others here love the place.

Quick Reply: cheapest runnin boards