1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Help with door

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 01:38 AM
fordvanner
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with door

I have an '85 E150 with two side doors. I was wondering if anyone there knows how to fix the side doors? The problem is that the side door just won't quite close all the way. You have to eather have to slam it or after you close it you have to push on it real hard to get it to click in. It looks like it might be a little lower than it should be. I'm not sure even if that is the problem,and even what to do about it if that is the case. All I have done is grease the lock. Also has anyone changed out a power lock attenuator? Mine is bad.

Old 09-21-2004, 10:22 PM
c96drumm
Laughing Gas
That post on the non-lock door that the latch on the lock door engages can be loosened and moved a bit for adjustment. Hope that made sense...
Never done the power lock actuator. Yet.

Old 09-22-2004, 10:42 AM
taxidriver
Junior User
Originally Posted by fordvanner
I have an '85 E150 with two side doors. I was wondering if anyone there knows how to fix the side doors? The problem is that the side door just won't quite close all the way. You have to eather have to slam it or after you close it you have to push on it real hard to get it to click in. It looks like it might be a little lower than it should be. I'm not sure even if that is the problem,and even what to do about it if that is the case. All I have done is grease the lock. Also has anyone changed out a power lock attenuator? Mine is bad.

Check first to see if the two door hinges are bolted on tight. Then check the door jam and see if adjusting it will help. You could also have bent or worn out hinges. Replace the top one first and the bottom one if needed. I just replaced both hinges on my E-350 front door. The door shuts fine now. Before it had to be shut very hard for it to close properly. A common problem, where I live is the doors/hinges getting bent when opened and caught by a gust of wind.

Old 09-24-2004, 02:28 AM
fordvanner
New User
Hay thanks. I have been sick so I have not been able to post. You buy the door hinge at the dealer or at a junkyard?

Old 09-24-2004, 10:08 AM
taxidriver
Junior User
Originally Posted by fordvanner
Hay thanks. I have been sick so I have not been able to post. You buy the door hinge at the dealer or at a junkyard?
I would buy them new from a Ford dealer if I were you.

By the way it took me about two hours to replace the hinges. Because to get at the hinges on a 1997 you have to take the fender off and to get the fender off you have to take off the front grill, headlights, etc off. Also it's easier if you have someone to help you hold the door while you put the hinges back on.