Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Slight Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 06:43 PM
JerNla
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slight Problems

Sometime this week I plan on bringing in my 2000 Explorer in for some Extended warranty work not much just a few switches and buttons not working rite. But my question is about my A/C, I have noticed lately that it is not cooling as well as it used to, is it normal for an A/C to need a slight boost in freon or should I be woried?

Old 09-13-2004, 07:47 PM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No its not normal ,you problably have a slight leak in a fitting .
In the newer systems there are o-rings that seal the connections,they can leak over time . Or worse could be the a/c compressor (internal parts ) wearing not pumping as it was when new.

Rich

Old 09-14-2004, 08:34 PM
JerNla
Senior User
Really well how do they check for something like that, beause if that is it I want them to fix it while it is still under the warranty.
Also I have like a gravel noise when I am moving about 10-15 MPH and turn my wheel (Like when turning into a driveway) what could this be ??

Old 09-17-2004, 07:03 PM
JerNla
Senior User
Ok, today I brought it in with the following complaints; 1. Power mirrors dont always operate, 2. Rear windows dont go down from the drivers seat, 3. Tranny not shifting rite, 4. Blinker making a whining sound, 5. Radio continues to eject after cd is taken out, 6. Grinding noise when turning slow, 7. Rough Idle also when turing at low speeds, 8. A/C not cooling to well. I know it sounds like a lot, and believe me I ma not complaining, but it is just little things(most of it). After getting there at 6:45 A.M. and spending 4 Hours waiting I got SOME answers, The power steering pump is going out, A/C compressor is going out, Radio is being sent off, and someting about tie-rods. So far with just those four things being diagnosed, it is totaled at 985.00 without labor and the other 4 probs. Quite a bit so far, but all I can say is thank god for extended warranties with a 50 deductable. Does anybody know if any of the problems are common? Thank you, and sorry for such a long post!

2000 EB V8 52000 miles

Old 09-17-2004, 09:25 PM
jonm61
Senior User
The power steering pump seems to be a VERY common Ford problem. I don't remember the last time I drove a Ford anything that didn't have a noisy PS pump. I had a similar problem with my radio, although it was on the cassette. As for the tie rods & A/C, I don't think they're common, but not uncommon either.

Old 09-21-2004, 04:45 PM
JerNla
Senior User
-UPDATE-

I just got the Explorer back today and they put a new A/C compressor, and a new power steering pump. It runs great now, only prob is no radio, they had to send it off to get fixed. My only complaint is now the steering feels noticeably looser, before it was kinda stiff, is this because of the new pump? Thanks all !!