General Automotive Discussion

Big rigs and the speed limit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 06:48 AM
razell
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
volfan945, i've been in ktown a hundred times in the past six months. i think that tri-axle cut me off several time. just kiddin' ;-) u r rite on the money (both ways). if it ain't loaded, it ain't makin' $$. be nice if we had a lane of our own, but sure enough some steering wheel holder would foul that up too.

Old 09-27-2004, 11:08 AM
77fordguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by dhag911
if you can say that you are a curtious driver all the time and have never drivin below the speed limit for no reason or have cut other drivers off then dont go bashing on the truckers cutting you off once in awhile.
i am a very coutrious driver. If I am in the left lane and someone comes up behind me, no matter what speed I am driving at, I either speed up and move over or move over right away. I never keep someone behind me in the left lane. Most people I talk to think only about themselves and not about others on the road (Ex. the big rig who doesn't want to slow down to take a hill but would rather hold up traffic for miles).

And yes, I am the perfect driver and all drivers should be modeled after me.

Old 09-27-2004, 11:18 AM
ranger429
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I am tempted to post to this thread again!! I just hate offending anyone tho!

Big F350 ditto on what blackf3504dr said, I think it would be awesome to drive one of those train's around. I heard they have a hard time keeping driver's doing that? any truth to that?

Old 09-27-2004, 12:39 PM
fordtrucklover94
Elder User
look, I'm a north carolinian, and we get a crap load of rain in the summer. This summer I was on my way to work, all highway, speed limit is 65, can't see 10 foot in front of you, and could barely make out brake lights in front of you, next thing i know, i look up, and i see faint headlights, and here they come, two big rigs, flying by, i was doing about 40-45, bc of the weather conditions, and they flew by me like i was sitting still, and guess what, i was running in the passing/fast lane bc the right lane puddles up bad in spots and i tend to hydroplane in my light truck, now who says truckers don't put us little ranger drivers at risk?

Old 09-27-2004, 08:47 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ranger429

I am tempted to post to this thread again!! I just hate offending anyone tho!

Big F350 ditto on what blackf3504dr said, I think it would be awesome to drive one of those train's around. I heard they have a hard time keeping driver's doing that? any truth to that?
Yeah, because of the remote locations, thats why, it can be pretty hard to comprehend how difficult it is, when you may see no one (that includes other vehicles on the road) for up to a week driving one of these things...
The money is pretty darn good though...

Old 09-28-2004, 11:57 PM
nogo73
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
states that have the split mph include from my experiece
California, Illinois, Indana, ohio. states better relise that doing this stuff will just raise cost of goods If I didn't have to worry about (I was governed to 65mph) speed limit I could get my 7.0 mpg pretty easy. fuel prices going up and up are just translated to the consumer. Also unless you done the job you must relise that it is a whole another world living that life and if you want to make money you got to bend the laws because the people who made them don't know anything about how the industry works. Its not the easiest thing delivering goods in harsh weather and having four-wheeler push around in the crowded cities and have to know everything that is going all around you all at once at all times. Truckers make your life the way it is. with out them America can't survive.
Give them a break.

ps I don't mean to offend anyone just want to throw my two cents in

Old 09-29-2004, 12:09 AM
5.4AZ4X4
Senior User
Im not a truck driver, nor have I ever driven 18 wheels at the same time.. but I completely agree with that. Great post nogo73.

Old 09-29-2004, 01:11 AM
vanj
Freshman User
Packrat350,
Thanks for the post.
Appreciate it.
I've gone trucking with my husband. He drives a 96 International and pulls an 8 to 9 car trailer.
He is an excellent driver.
Owner operator,
Cindy

Old 09-29-2004, 09:58 AM
1600-foot-pound
Freshman User
If all the trucks in the country suddenly started driving the speed limit, and the drivers followed their hours of service regulations to a T, the price of your box of Wheaties would probably double. And I have driven plenty of cars that didn't feel as safe above 70mph as my Volvo class 8 tractor.

It was said somewhere in this thread that it all comes down to idiot drivers in four wheelers and big rigs alike, and that's it. (you should hear the hate on the C.B. anywhere near NW Indiana where I-80, I-65, I-94 come together)

Old 09-29-2004, 02:08 PM
vanj
Freshman User
With the fuel prices being so high on the west coast,
my husband keeps his speed limit at 55mph to 60mph for the best fuel mileage.
(A few days ago cost to fill up at Jubitz in Oregon $300.00.)
We save money on our fuel bill doing the lower speeds.
Owner operator,
Cindy

Originally Posted by 1600-foot-pound
If all the trucks in the country suddenly started driving the speed limit, and the drivers followed their hours of service regulations to a T, the price of your box of Wheaties would probably double. And I have driven plenty of cars that didn't feel as safe above 70mph as my Volvo class 8 tractor.

It was said somewhere in this thread that it all comes down to idiot drivers in four wheelers and big rigs alike, and that's it. (you should hear the hate on the C.B. anywhere near NW Indiana where I-80, I-65, I-94 come together)

Old 09-29-2004, 04:12 PM
fordtrucklover94
Elder User
America may not be able to survive without them, but if they would drive with a little common sense in harsh weather conditions, they would make our lives and their own lives safer. I know every winter on HWY 1 in North Carolina there was at least one big rig that would have crashed in the same area bc they don't drive it safely. Trust me, I know us four wheel guys have issues with safety, trust me I know, my sister just totaled a Neon in the rain bc she was running on a spare tire and lost control. Well, big riggers do that too, granted its not a donut, but they still don't drive safe, wind up fishtailing, hitting other vehicles and killing other people. Seems to me that they may help America survive, but they also help us die or become seriously injured(like my buddy when the driver fell asleep and ran him off the road and caused almost $1 dollars in damages to surrounding area). now don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good truckers out there, i've met quite a few. So i'm not directing this at the good drivers, but there are some out there that put us all at risk, 4 wheelers and 18 wheelers.
Originally Posted by nogo73
Truckers make your life the way it is. with out them America can't survive.
Give them a break.

in

Old 09-29-2004, 06:28 PM
ranger429
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
anywhere near NW Indiana where I-80, I-65, I-94 come together)
HAHAHA, I have been past there every day this week! What a joke that construction traffic is.

(A few days ago cost to fill up at Jubitz in Oregon $300.00.)
That seem's cheap! It is on average around 375 to fill my Peterbilt, just wait tho that 375 will soon be 450 the way the price gouging is going.

Old 09-29-2004, 06:50 PM
No1Hookman
Senior User
Originally Posted by parks911

Ohio is a 55 speed zone for trucks also.

Not on the greenstamp!!!

Old 09-29-2004, 08:30 PM
1600-foot-pound
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ranger429
HAHAHA, I have been past there every day this week! What a joke that construction traffic is.
LOL, were you there in the winter of '98 when the snow was 13" PACKED on the road surface, and about 2 dozen trucks ripped their roofs off? Yah, that was a classic...
Man, I did that route 5 days week for 6 years straight, yeeeehaaaah!

Old 09-30-2004, 05:18 AM
Fomhoire
Senior User
Originally Posted by ryaneverk2
Yeah, but if driving idiots are everywhere, than those in California are, umm.... super idiots!!

I usually don't see big rigs going over 65, except on I-5, then I see some going about 70. I do often see other big trucks, like moving trucks or Hertz-type trucks, that are going pretttty fast in the left lane, and stay in that lane, too.
I see them on CA99, US50, I80, and I5 doing 70 most of the time, unless traffic congestion prohibits it. North of Sacramento I frequently see them doing 80.

Quick Reply: Big rigs and the speed limit?