Info and A question

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 10:26 PM
John with beastly 302
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Info and A question

Hey

I havent been here in awhile so i thought i'd give an update. Dont know if any on e lives in san luis obispo county but i enterd my 1945 Ford 9N in the contest at the Mid state fair. If any one saw it it was the white and red one. I know horse puller stops by here every now and then.

So back to buisness. I learned the other day from our local lub distributor that the chevron supreme motor oil is the same as the Delo 100 motor oil.

Could you tell me if i'm doing good with this rebuilt motor. This motor is a 45 ford I4 120cid . First cranckase fill was with delo 400 30 weight. I changed the oil after the first 10 hours with Delo 400 30 weight. The motor now has 25 hours on it so should i change it or leave it (it's clean).

Old 09-09-2004, 11:47 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
That motor has an oil filter, right? If so, I'd leave it. If not, change it.

Old 09-09-2004, 11:59 PM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
My Allis-Chalmers owners guide says change oil in a new tractor after the first 10-20 hours. After that, it says change after 20-30 hours only if operated at low temperatures. If operated at normal temperatures, change at the normal interval of 100 hours. It says change the filter when the oil starts to get dark, or about 200 hours. (At the time that guide was written, the best quality oil available was SB/CB, single grade oil. Today's oils give the old iron much better protection.)

Well for sure the DELO is still good. There is probably some wear-in metal present and probably will be for awhile. I'm pretty sure your filter is a bypass type, not full flow. I think if it were my tractor I would let it go to 50 hours. Then change the oil and filter again. After that, 100 hours, or whatever interval is recommended for your tractor.

Congrats on getting your tractor project finished! How did it do at the fair? I'll bet you got lots of compliments on it. Post us a photo if you can.

Scott

Old 09-11-2004, 10:07 PM
John with beastly 302
Senior User
The tractor got second at the fair. I won 1500 dollars also. I'km not to sure on how to upload an image so if somone could tell me how i'd gladly send a picture of it.

Oh ya i'm currently in the process of converting the oil filter to a spin on one. I got a mounting spin on filter base that .I just have to make a custon "adaptor" so i can bolt it up to the engine.

I went ahead and changed then oil. I'll let it go to 50 hours and then change again. Then I'll go every 50 hours.

I'm going to add a lighting system and a temp gauge to the tractor, which leads me into another question. Where should I mount the gauge? I could put it where the drain is for the block, or tap into the head before it goes into the thermostat. Which place would be the best Spot.

Thanks
John

Old 09-21-2004, 07:27 PM
Loan Ranger
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Insofar as the quality of Delo motor oil is concerned, we have a Ford ton-truck with a flathead V8 in it. We used the truck from 1958 till 1988 on the farm--and we used it quite hard. To say it had "severe service" duty would be quite an understatment. We used Delo in it from the first day we bought it. The engine itself never failed on its own. (A neighbor borrowed the truck to haul some hay to his cattle, cut the lower radiator hose, relaced the hose, refilled it with WATER--in February--and the block froze and cracked!)

We have a 1977 IH 574 tractor which we bought in 1977. After the first oil change, we put Delo oil in it. The tractor is still used on the farm and it has never been down to this day! (It has used two clutch discs, but the engine has never been down.)

Delo is undeniably a great oil!

Old 09-21-2004, 07:34 PM
Loan Ranger
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For your temperature gauge, I would strongly recommend putting it in the cylinder head since that was one of the highest temperature locations on the engine assembly.
Where the block drain is located is, in actuality, one of the coolest parts of the engine.

If you wish tech information or parts for your tractor, may I suggest you call Barry Deihl at Nashville (TN) Ford Tractor. The phone number is 615-865-7800. He is literally a walking encyclopedia on 2N-8N-9N and NAA Ford tractors! He will NOT cheat you on pricing of parts and he is a very friendly (and knowledgable) counterman.