2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended warranty worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 02:10 AM
ITDave
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, That Was High!

Wow, that was HIGH for your ESP!!!!

Old 09-10-2004, 09:36 AM
bcjim
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is alot, I got ExtraCare or whatever its called (1 step down) and only paid 800 for the same coverage on an explorer

If you are keeping it long term, buy it. If only keeping 3-4 yrs, dont, although I think they are a great thing to have when selling it yourself, buyers love them, and if you trade it before it goes past 3/36 you should get a refund..

Old 09-10-2004, 11:03 AM
vader716
Junior User
Actually I don't that price is too bad. I paid 1750 for the premium care. If you have a Lariat and don't get the Premium care I think you are wasting the money. If something fails it will be electronic, only the Premium covers that, and the Lariat is loaded with electronic add ons. I'm just waiting for the CD changer or the DVD player to go up and me being able to walk in and get a free replacement.

I'm bumping from6/60 to 7/100

Old 09-10-2004, 11:55 AM
arctic cat matt
Freshman User
I would say it is worth it in this case seeing that it is a brand new model truck with some unproven technology. Another thing is that if you have a 4x4, and it breaks (seems to go out around 100,000) it'll cost you better than $3,000 to have it fixed(at least in my last case). Also, the warranties through Ford are transferable if you decide to sell before it runs out. I see that as a selling point. JMHO
mattman

Old 09-10-2004, 05:55 PM
Hokie4tec
Freshman User
I agree with Vader and Arctic. Lariat electronics with 4x4 give plenty of opportunities for something to go wrong. That's why I went with the premium care. Vibes, shimmy, rebounce, A/C, clutch packs - - - I don't regret the expense because tho$e are the warning sign$ of thing$ to come.

Old 09-10-2004, 06:44 PM
JohnAndHisDog
Junior User
Look at your own vehicle purchase habits, LAL. If you know that your going to get The Fever in a couple of years then don't buy it. The ESP won't takeover until your Ford warranty runs out anyway.

But if you keep your truck for a long time you will WIN in the long run. I kept my 95 GMC Yukon for 9 years and most all major components were covered in the first 6 years. My out of pocket expenses were minimal after that.

I plan to keep this 04 that I bought for an equally long time and I bought the ESP. But I know my buying habits. And even if I decided to trade in, there is a prorated credit issued if you buy a new ESP on a new vehicle (or, at least I'm told- perhaps Jeff of Van Bortel could confirm if he reads this.)

It's up to you, Man.

Old 09-10-2004, 08:34 PM
Dunk
Elder User
I love those terms... 6yr/60k or 7yrs/100k... both are really 3yr/24k and 4yr/64k warranties right off the bat.. Are they bumper to bumper?? Most extendo warranties don't cover the little things like power window motors, door lock problems...the little crap that will nickle and dime to to death.. I just wanted to say that to make people read the fine print on what they are buying..

After that I guess no one read what I said about calling different dealers for prices on these warranties... Remember dealers have an incentive to sell you a warranty at better price than your selling dealer. They want to see you when you want a new truck... Your selling dealer figure's he's got you because YOU DON'T KNOW YOU CAN BUY IT FROM ANY FORD DEALER...

Old 09-10-2004, 08:59 PM
vader716
Junior User
Dunk,

The Premium care is basically bumper to bumper. Both items you mentioned are covered. I know what you mean about the 6/60 vs 3/24 but it is just semantics, bottom line I'm covered for 6/60 7/100 bumper to bumper.

www.ford-esp.com lists the items.

I was going to post the covered items but the list is too long. Here is the last paragraph on the premium care information.

***QUOTE FROM www.ford-esp.com***

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>These Are the Only Components Not Covered by ESP PremiumCARE</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0 valign="TOP"><TBODY><TR><TD class=sectionbody>Mechanical </TD></TR><TR><TD class=sectionbody>Service adjustments and cleaning, battery and cables, belts and hoses, brakes (front hub, drums, shoes, linings, disc rotors, pads), coolant, exhaust system (includes catalytic converter), filters, fluids, lubricants, lights (bulbs, sealed beam, lenses), manual clutch disc, shock absorbers, spark plugs and wires, squeaks and rattles, tires, tune-ups, wheel balancing, wheel alignment, wiper blades, wheel studs, and compressed natural gas/liquid propane fuel system components. </TD></TR><TR><TD class=sectionbody>Exterior </TD></TR><TR><TD class=sectionbody>Service adjustments (glass and body parts),bright metal bumpers, door handles, glass, moldings, ornamentation, paint, rust, sheet metal, structural underbody framework, sideview mirrors (glass and housing), water leaks, wind noise, weatherstrips, wheel covers and ornaments, convertible top, fabric, liners, zippers and fasteners. </TD></TR><TR><TD class=sectionbody>Interior </TD></TR><TR><TD class=sectionbody>Buttons, carpets, dash pad, door and window handles, *****, rearview mirror (glass and housing), trim, upholstery. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 09-10-2004, 09:12 PM
viper6466
New User
Just a quick note for those with the extended warranties. If you do trade or sell before the warranty expires, you can get a rebate on the balance of your warranty. I bought an extended warranty 5/100,000 fifteen months ago on a 2003 Ranger. I traded it last month and the dealer wrote me a check for 1002.50 after pro-rating the mileage/months.

Old 09-10-2004, 09:23 PM
southernfordman
Senior User
yes buy the extended warranty because right after your old warranty ends you could blow the engine up and then you would have to buy it on your own and i think they sell better when you go to sell it or trade it in.

Old 09-10-2004, 09:23 PM
MX2004
Senior User
viper6466

Originally Posted by Dunk
Most extendo warranties don't cover the little things like power window motors, door lock problems...the little crap that will nickle and dime to to death..
I got an extended warranty on my 00 jetta (built sept 99) and covered exactly that at about 80,000 miles. An actuator went bad for the power lock and was $180 for parts and labor but it was covered under warranty. Other things that were covered by the warranty were bushing, cv boot, raditator resivour, belt tensioner, about 4 oxygen sensors, 2 mass airflow meters, trunk opener motor, starter... only thing I had to pay for was a cv joint I messed up and a cup holder i broke. That warranty was well worth it... first version of the gen 4 jetta.

Originally Posted by viper6466
If you do trade or sell before the warranty expires, you can get a rebate on the balance of your warranty.
.. and yep yep, that's true.

Old 09-11-2004, 12:52 AM
ITDave
Elder User
Okay gentlemen, I hate to break the news to ya....

I only paid 985 for the 6 Year, 75000 mile Premium ESP, 50 dollar deductable, I know its a great deal, but that is what I worked hard to pay....

Also, I got the 4 Year 50,000 mile maintenance plan with the 3000 mile service option for only 945 (No extra charges).

Due to saving so much money, I put the five year, extra paint, leather, upholstery, carpet, (No deductable). If it cannot be repaired, or cleaned, the replace it!

I usually dont go for the warranties, but I think with what I paid, they could very well be well worth it!

Old 09-11-2004, 06:53 AM
Curveman
Junior User
I'd like to hear back down the road from all the people that bought the ESP. Consumer Reports use to say that it wasn't worth it "according to research industry figures," (I haven't read them in awhile).

For every guy that says "this broke and I am glad I had it", I'd bet there are THOUSANDS that ran out their warranty without ever using it at all, or certainly not to the dollar amount they paid for it. Insurance guys always try to get you with that "catastrophy story." We haven't had a flood in my nieghborhood since Noah but I still hear from the "your house will get swept away and it will not be covered!!!!/peace of mind" crowd. Playing the odds, most of you really are wasting your money. You'll see!

It reminds me of those lottery/scratch ticket buyers who'll tell you how they won a thousand dollars or some amount but never realize that they spent 2K buying them!!! Odds always favor the house-the Ford company knows they will get more than they give out.

Old 09-12-2004, 02:43 AM
ITDave
Elder User
Well, if I wasted my money, I am glad I paid half of what everyone else did for mine.

Well, if I wasted my money, I am glad I paid half of what everyone else did for mine. I mean, I hope that they didnt get ripped off either, and hope they got a great deal, if not, I will help them get one next time.

Dave

Old 09-12-2004, 05:34 PM
Dunk
Elder User
Thanks Dave.... Just what I've been saying through out this thread... SHOP AROUND FOR THESE WARRANTIES>>>

Quick Reply: Extended warranty worth it?