Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why am I getting this short

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 08:29 PM
GSchretter
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why am I getting this short

87 f-150.

When I turn the key to the "start" postion and turn the key back to the "on" postion, I am getting 4.41 volts to the starter solenoid wire until I unplug the battery.

I traced it back to under the steering wheel area.

The red/blue wire is getting the 4.42 volts from a gray / green (lime) wire that is connected to it. I cut the gray / green wire and everything works great.

What is the gray / green wire hooked up to. The wire is only going out the round connector between the fire wall. So it is something in the engine bay.

Also the red/blue wire is connected to the grey / green wire with connectors so Ford did this for a reason.

I am thinking the ECC has shorted but if so where is it and how much to replace.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 09-05-2004, 03:12 AM
neversosure
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is your truck a stick or auto? I looked on the Chiltons CD and it could have to do with your clutch interlock. If you could be more specific on where that wire that you cut is coming from. I could look a little closer, also what engine do you have? Is it carb or f.i?

Old 09-05-2004, 10:46 AM
GSchretter
Senior User
Truck

The truck is an auto.

Down below the steering wheel on the fire wall is a round connector used to connect the wires from the engine into the cab.

I got a worst problem now.

I unplugged the ICM (PIP) and sprayed some wd-40 on the connectors to clean them and now the truck will not start. I replace the PIP and nothing.

I guess the computer works since I am able to pull codes.

Old 09-05-2004, 11:51 PM
GSchretter
Senior User
Never Mind.

Gave up. Truck is DEAD.
Getting and 3500 GMC.

Old 09-06-2004, 02:52 AM
neversosure
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! NOT THE GM WORD!!!!

Don't give up!!! it is prolly something you are overlooking, electrical wiring is just like roads they are paths that the current uses. Don't get discouraged it is right there in front of you take your time and ask alot of questions. You will get it!

Matt

Old 09-07-2004, 06:27 PM
Eric C.
Elder User
WD-40 will burn in electrical connectors (learned the hard way). Clean the connectors and try again. Use nothing but the right type of grease or do it dry as almost everything else will burn.

Old 09-07-2004, 08:50 PM
GSchretter
Senior User
Good Point.

Now here is the real question. If I sprayed wd-40 on the PIP (ICM) connector what did I burn out ?

EEC / PIP ?

Thanks.

Old 09-08-2004, 12:25 PM
Eric C.
Elder User
You actually only burned the oil in he connector it self and that is insulating it. Neither item should be damaged but the connectors themselves are probably blackened. Go to your local parts store and buy Electrical Motor and contact cleaner. This should remove the carbon dust shorting it out.