Twin Turbo Crewcab

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 10:03 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I want the wiring schematic for that dash..... If you're willing to give it up...

Old 09-27-2004, 06:30 AM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I haven't drawn a schematic yet per se... really all I do is as I take the parts out of the junkyard(s), I use a paint pen to write the year and model on it, then stop at the local library and photocopy the corresponding wiring diagram from the mitchell manuals.

GM is fairly consistant in their wiring color choices, light blue is english/metric for example. Tan or gray, yellow (thin) and Brn/Blk usually is for the dimmer. Pink/blk is usually for battery and greens are often for IGN.

I've learned the hard way, some parts can be broken down further into smaller parts (like the bonneville compass module) and other parts cannot (like the bonneville DIC, it needs the cluster to work). THe older, olds DIC just needs power, speed, fuel gauge, and oil pressure sensor. It figures out all the data off that.

Set it up on a workbench, you'll be at it for a while. I use a combination of wire nuts for the larger wires and barrier strips for the thinner wires that I move around often while reverse engineering stuff I'm unsure of. The mitchell manuals wiring diagrams are 98% complete but some things aren't marked or indicated, so you might have a little guessing like I have. Again, GM is consistant in their wiring in their cars so its not that bad.

I use a nice (and cheap) Cosel 12V switching powersupply, it provides 13A and has a trimmer inside to adjust from 11.5V to 14V, so I set it for 13.5V which is what a healthy alternator should be giving out. I've turned it down a bit while everything was connected, and watched the voltage gauge move down

Next is climate controls.... have a control unit out of a 93 Park Ave, the associated wiring, and the remote vacuum and heater door actuators, which are digitally controlled. Have to graft it onto the ford AC system I sitting on the floor next to my work bench. I'll just splice in a small 100ma 12V lightbulb in place of the compressor clutch so I don't blow my power supply.

Then after that, I'll disconnect all the wiring and physically arrange the controls, gauges and such on the workbench to where I'd like them to be, then make a dashboard around it. Haven't decided what to make it out of yet... my initial thought was 22ga steel sheet, cut and trim, tack weld, etc. Then I was thinking maybe steel for the parts I mount the gauges to, and 1/4" plywood covered with fiberglass for the dash shell, then cover that with red vinyl to match the interior.

Another option is to snag a mid to late 80's Seville dash and make my own panels out of steel - there's enough surface area for all these gauges, and its only 1/2" narrower than my F350's dash. Saw a red one in the yard too, but its slightly darker. At least it wasn't ripped. I'm also considering acquiring a red dash from an older F-series. Since the cabs are pretty much the same from 88 through 96, it would bolt on, and the older dashes are quite flat unlike the 92-96 dash that my truck has. Though, my dash is "mint", I almost hate to replace it. But, need more room for gauges. Quick measuring shows that full size van dashes are about the same width too, but most of them are unappealing for some reason.

Old 09-27-2004, 02:37 PM
Blurry94
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I noticed that you still have the stock injectors...do you plan going bigger with those, 42's or even 50's? I ran 30's on my blown 351 and still had to run an FMU. I upgraded to 42's and got rid of the FMU. However, I had a Walboro 255 inline and a dual tank trigger (it triggers the aux tank pump under boost) so there was a total of three pumps running to give me plenty of volume and pressure. The larger injectors (without the FMU) made easier for me to tune that combo as well.

Last edited by Blurry94; 09-27-2004 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:41 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
I've already acquired a set of new 60lb hi-z injectors, however for the mockup to create the wiring harness, I didn't want to risk damaging them, so they're in a box on the shelf, and I used injectors I had "lying around" of unknown condition, for the mockup.

I'm clumsy, I expected to knock at least three onto the garage floor, then step on them

Old 10-04-2004, 09:04 PM
Saturn5
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by frederic
I've already acquired a set of new 60lb hi-z injectors, however for the mockup to create the wiring harness, I didn't want to risk damaging them, so they're in a box on the shelf, and I used injectors I had "lying around" of unknown condition, for the mockup.

I'm clumsy, I expected to knock at least three onto the garage floor, then step on them
But your getting better... You managed to complete Super Bumper without major injury..

In all seriousness.. looking good. Bob

Old 05-18-2005, 04:44 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
ok, now I found the original thread, I can ask some questions to ask without hijacking someone elses thread...

Ok, how are you planning on tuning it?
I see you are using a GM ECM, but how are you going to alter the fuel curves, spark timing etc.?
Now if I recall correctly Garrett T4's have internal wastegates, are these going to be controlled by the ECM? Or are you going to have external controls to start bleeding off "boost"? Or are you going to let them do their job normally (17psi I think from memory)?
Now I know you mentioned you would be running low compression ratio, what exactly is it? 7:1ish???
T4's are good enough to supply airflow for about 450hp each, I know that you are building a torquey towing motor, but do you feel that 2 of them will be sufficient on a 500ci monster?
Have you thought about running the turbos in series? prehaps using a T4 as the first turbo, and a larger (say a T42) as the secondary?
I assume you are currently planning on running them in parrallel as is, one from each bank. Correct?
What are the plans in terms of a fuel pump? I know my car was loosing serious power before I got the fuel pump upgraded, simply because the fuel pump couldn't keep up with the injectors (8x55lbs BTW).

I have lots more questions (these type of projects fascinate me beyond belief), hope thats ok...

Thanks,
BigF350.
BTW, Check your reputation...

Old 05-23-2005, 10:18 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Ok, that answers that set of questions (and very well I might add).
I will now have to think a little more, and I will come back with round 2

Old 06-02-2005, 02:04 AM
Samsonitesamsonite
Elder User
got it on yet?

Old 06-02-2005, 07:31 AM
frederic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Samsonitesamsonite
got it on yet?
The engine isn't in it, I'm still welding the exhaust bits together and working out the EEC tuning on the bench.

Mid to late summer. I've been distracted by rust repair.

Old 07-05-2005, 08:53 AM
sneak
Elder User
Wow, it sounds like you have quite the nack for fabrication. I'll be turning 18 on the tenth here, and I thought of the same "variable cam timing" idea as you and a few others about 7 or 8 months ago, I would like to try this in my shop at home but would like to ind a tall inline motor to fool around with, for ease of construction and for a little more chain travel maybe. Do you have any suggestions as to where I should start looking for a donor engine?

Old 07-05-2005, 11:35 AM
I6power
Posting Guru
that sounds like a lot of fun

Old 07-11-2005, 08:23 PM
94F150-408
Posting Guru
Sounds like your projet is coming along nicly fredric, unfortunetly I'm not getting the pics you posted

Off topic: Hey blurry94, do you have a thread to refer to on the dual pump activation/wiring? Thanx!

Old 07-12-2005, 08:33 AM
frederic
Post Fiend
94 - that's because I'm slowly moving stuff off http://www.midimonkey.com/~frederic/ to http://frederic.midimonkey.com. I've been working on this move for about a month now, and unfortunately I realistically have put about 3 hours into it. All new design, easier to navigate, menus everywhere.

Since I'm not HTML compatible, it's just slow going. Generally, i work on it late at night when I have insomnia ;-)

Old 07-21-2005, 01:06 AM
Heath67
Junior User
Stop teasing us...........

Stop teasing us guy: forget about rust and other stuff. We really want to hear about how the beast runs. Details are great but I think I speak for many when I say PLEASE give us some results. I am in awe of your fabrication and scrounging abilities and would like to hear the fruits of your labor. I wish I had a 1/10 of the ability that you've posted. Your efforts are inspiring, more info would even be more inspiring.

Regards,
Heath67

Old 09-20-2005, 03:05 AM
Brandan78
Senior User
any updates?

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo Crewcab