Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Changing out gear oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 07:21 PM
whphel
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing out gear oil?

I was going to change out the gear oil in the front and rear end today untill I climbed under the truck and noticed a tag that said "85-140 synthetic oil only" on the rear case.

I bought the wrong stuff so thats one reason for not doing the change and the other is because I need some answers.

Do I have to remove the entire plate on the rear end to drain the oil out and should I anyway? I did'nt see any screws to remove to drain it accept those holding the plate on. Also if I do remove the plate do I need to replace the gasket or is it reusable?

By the way my truck is a 2000 SD 4x4 and I dont know when The front and rear end was last changed out and the truck is at 85,500.

Being frusterated after droping the oil filter and splashing oil all over and accidently tipping over a gallon of new oil I just called it a day. Worst oil change in my life nothing went well Hell I even dropped the pan screw into the waste oil to top it all off.

So anyhow I guess it would be helpfull if anyone has any ideas on this. I did'nt even take the time to look at the front one so any advice there would help as well.

Thanks

Old 09-02-2004, 07:41 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Neither differential has a drain plug, so the covers will have to come off. There is also no gasket used on either end to reuse. You can get paper gaskets from the auto parts chains, but I just used a bead of permatex ultra blue and they sealed up fine.

The front differential does not require synthetic fluid, but I went ahead and put it in there.

Old 09-02-2004, 07:52 PM
whphel
Freshman User
Okay that answers those questions but brings up another. If the pan holds the fluid in how do you re-fill them up? Is there a holding unit inside?

Thanks cookie.

Old 09-02-2004, 08:09 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
On the rear diff. there is a fill plug on the front side of the differential housing, or you can remove the VSS from the top of the housing and pour it in there.

You have to used the fill plug on the front diff.

The fill plugs are 3/8" square drive plugs. Same plugs are used for both differentials and the transfer case.

Old 09-03-2004, 05:10 AM
rockyrider
Senior User
Thumbs up

You will also want a tube of limited slip lube as well as aprox 3.7 pints of syn gear oil. It's not bad, you probablly will want to wipe out the sump area paying attention for metal shavings. Good Luck on this one!!

Old 09-03-2004, 07:30 AM
HDMustF250
Senior User
According to my information the front takes 75W90 and the rear the 75W140. Randy's Ring and Pinion will sell you a decent gasket for the rear.

Old 09-03-2004, 09:20 AM
whphel
Freshman User
Thanks for all the help guys. I'll do this project tomorow and let ya know how it went. An HDMustF250 your right on the oil, I typed the wrong thing.