1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Brakes aren't working?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 08:57 PM
Sixoh
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Brakes aren't working?

Well, the truck's back together and I'm ready to ride...brakes are bled but....NO PEDAL! I can't believe my brakes got out of adjustment bad enough over the summer.

Old 09-01-2004, 03:58 AM
angus
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, were the brakes all bled and working before? How good were they, and were the lines and cylinders rebuilt or replaced within living memory? If any of the lines are original, you should really consider replacing them, especially the lines to the rear brakes.
If you've got one of those Mityvac pumps, you could vacuum bleed from each slave cylinder. Read the booklet that comes with it.
Or start at the master cylinder, bleed that (crack the fitting(s) at the master cylinder), then do each wheel cylinder. Have a few extra bottles of fluid on hand for this, and ideally a friend to pump the pedal. If that is inconvenient, there's the amazing Bungee Bleeder that I thought up: loop a bungee cord up from the steering column bracket through the steering wheel, and use it to pull a stick against the brake pedal (like a 1x2 or 2x2 or whatever you find lying around). Lift the pedal up, let the stick press it back down. Loosen the fitting or brake bleeder until something comes out (air or fluid), then tighten it again. Repeat until there are no bubbles anywhere.

Old 09-01-2004, 08:33 PM
57_ford
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Amazing Bungee Bleeder, I like it, It amazes me what people will come up with to make something work. Six, If your truck sat a long time it may need to be blead again. The master cylinder will hold a pound or 2 of pressure on the wheel cylinder cupes and that is what keeps the air out. The master cylinder could also be bad or just a break adjustment like you said seems like mine needs it about 1500 to 3000 miles.