Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hesitant to start when cold

Old 09-17-2002, 05:05 PM
myvan
Junior User

On '94 Aerostar, 3.0L with 140,000 KMS it has been excellent as long as we've had it. Well looked after. Now suddenly it has decided to act up when cold. It had always fired on the flick of the key, even cold. Now when it cranks, it still cranks fast, but doesn't fire straight up. It will always fireup eventually after a few seconds. It runs great all day then.
I have noticed something when cranking it, then after a couple of seconds and it hasn't fired, I'll turn the ignition to Off possition and then turn the ignition On again, and it will immediately fire up then. It suddenly started doing this every morning. Unusual for it.
I had sprayed a bunch of throttle body cleaner into it and it didn't help any, in case somethings gunged up.
Any ideas to help? Thanks.

Old 09-17-2002, 06:48 PM
Mikeman
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This sounds like it could be the fuel pump check valve. To test, turn the key to ON (but not START) until the fuel pump stops running then turn it to OFF. Repeat this five times or so. Then, try to start it. If it starts right up, it indicates the fuel pump check valve is leaking. It's leaking and allowing the fuel in the fuel line to empty back into the tank.

Old 09-17-2002, 08:15 PM
dougas
Senior User

Yo,
I have the same problem with my van. Just recently started. One very hot day it died on me right in the middle of an intersection. I assumed it was the fuel pump too but I decided to change the fuel filter instead. Now my van is doing the same thing. It will turn over about 3 or 4 times before it starts. I tried the test above and it still does the same thing. I will be waiting for a reply too.

Old 09-17-2002, 08:50 PM
myvan
Junior User

I put a new fuel filter on about a year ago. It was fine uptill last week. It hasn't been stalling at all, and idles smooth, etc.
I will try the test in the morning with the 5 times with ignition and listen for pump to quit and see if it fires straight up.
thanks guys.

Old 09-22-2002, 12:07 AM
myvan
Junior User

Got it fixed. had the MAF cleaned!