1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

divider bar

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 11:19 AM
two56s
Trailering
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
divider bar

I am putting in a new driver side window, vent window glass, and divider bar in my F-100. Got the old glass out no problem, but can't figure out how to get the old divider bar out of the door.

I've pushed it up and down, to the front of the door, and to the back, window regulator up, and then down. I'll admit being left-handed might be a factor to my frustrations, but I've tried about every way short of just bending it, or just cutting it in half to get it out the bottom of the door. I now turn to the collective wisdom of the FTE members to help me get this job done right. I've spent an hour or two searching the forums, but haven't found anything very specific about this kind of problem.

The new divider bar has all the brackets, felt, and rubber on it, and I'd prefer not to have to take the brackets off and then put them back on in the door to get it done.

Thanks,
Lewis
'56 F-100
'56 F-250
'55 Panel Delivery

Old 08-31-2004, 03:27 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
I had a similar problem on my 1960. First I had to gut the entire door of all regulators, vent windows, etc. Then I pulled the door looking mechanism(the arm that goes from the inside door handle to the lock mechanism) and I was finally able to get the old bar out. I have no idea if there is way to get the bar out without pulling all the other stuff out, but I'd wait for at least one more responce before gutting the door.... The terrible adivce giver, -4sped

Old 08-31-2004, 04:24 PM
fking1
Elder User
I just recently replaced the dividers and side glass in my 55. The divider is a PITA to get out. I removed the side glass and regulator mechanism then was able to fish out the divider. You have to force one end up into a corner or the door at the belt line.
Keep trying , you will succeed.
Fred K.

Old 08-31-2004, 04:36 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two56's - I also have a 56 F100. I have had the divider bar in and out of mine twice. It isn't all that hard, but there is a trick to it. I followed the instructions in a factory manual that describes the process. I don't have the manual with me now, but will look it up when I get home tonite and reply tomorrow.

Old 09-01-2004, 10:22 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In my 54 there was no way to get it out without at least removing the window regulator mechanism. And it may be necessary to remember the door handle mechanism as well. (sorry my memory has deliberately tried to eliminate that data as being too painful and miserable) I remember having to lay on my back and look up inside the door with my flashlight propped inside so I could see what all was in the way. Good luck, John

Old 09-01-2004, 02:13 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey 56 - Here's the 411 on removing that Divider Bar. I have copied the pages that show that procedure from my FoMoCo 1956 Truck Shop Manual. They are in a new album in my gallery.
Good Luck.

Old 09-02-2004, 12:23 AM
two56s
Trailering
Divider Bar

Thanks for the all the suggestions and info, especially the scans.

This division bar is one of those things which are RnR'd only one way, I think. The up side of having to remove more hardware from the door to get the division bar out means all the rusty, damaged screws, nuts, & bolts will be replaced with shiny new stuff with a dab of anti-seize on the threads. I'll give it a go tomorrow or the next day. Once I figure out the best way to do it, I'll post the method I use. Maybe someone else trying the same thing might save some time on their truck.

My dad was a Ford tractor mechanic a long time ago, and was the 2nd owner of my F-100. Of all the tricks and tips he gave me on this truck, this window division bar thing was not one of them!

Thanks again for all your time.

Old 09-02-2004, 02:31 PM
two56s
Trailering
Divider Bar

How to remove the window divider bar in a few moves.

Before starting, I'd recommend taking time to protect the painted edges of the door access opening with rags, duct tape, a section of fuel hose split along its length and fitted around the edge of the opening, or whatever you might think would protect your paint from scratches. A little duct tape on the divider bar mounting brackets after you get them loose could help, also.

Anyway, here is how I did it:

1) With the lower door access panel off, remove the window glass. Getting the roller retaining clip off the end of the regulator arm was a little difficult. This step is covered in the 1956 Ford shop manual and I believe other posts on this forum. You will need to loosen the divider bar mounting hardware to allow the glass to come free from the runs. Move the regulator arm to the fully raised position. Getting the glass out is a little nerve-racking if you are taking out a good piece, but go slow and easy, and an extra pair of gloved hands can help get it out without breaking it.

2) Remove the window regulator crank handle, then the four mounting screws holding the regulator in. Move the regulator down in the door and rotate it forward so the arm will come out from between the division bar and the inner door shell. Now work the regulator assembly back and out of the door.

3) Remove the middle, bottom, and top retaining screws for the divider bar and move the bar down into the door shell. This will take a bit of wiggling the bar around. I loosened the window channel along the top of the window opening (it was blocking the top mounting bracket on the divider bar from sliding down). I removed the anti-rattlers along the lower window opening to make it a little easier to move the bar around. From reading other posts, replacing the anti-rattlers will be a bear to do. Oh well.

4) Once the bar is completely in side the door shell, move the top of the divider bar to the upper front of the door between the top hinge and the rear view mirror. You can look down through the slit in the lower window opening to guide it along. The mounting brackets should be facing upwards. The lower end will be pointed towards the lower rear of the door.

5) Position the divider bar in the door, keeping the backets facing up, until the bottom bracket is slightly above and forward of the bottom rear corner of the door access opening. The top end of the divider bar will be in a tight area of the door corner. The divider bar can be flexed a little and rolled towards you as the middle mounting bracket is worked out from behind the upper edge of the door access opening. The top end will bind a little in the door corner. Watch the clearance of the bottom bracket while you are doing this. This is the part where paint can get scratched, so take some time and be patient and it will come out right. It takes a little bit of wiggling around and repositioning to find the spot where this will happen, but the middle bracket will come clear of the upper edge of the opening. This is the key to the whole process. Once the middle bracket comes out, the bottom bracket will be in the clear also. The mounting brackets will wind up at about a 90 degree angle to the door shell, and the divider bar will be free to be pulled out of the door without any further hassle.

And thats it! As usual, your results may vary, and I'm sure someone will discover other ways this may be done which might be easier and post it for all to enjoy. This is the method that worked for me.

Now, to get the old, cracked vent window glass out of its frame!

Old 09-02-2004, 04:17 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice Job! I'm glad you got it done. I'm sure that the vent glass will be a piece of cake once you gently heat it and rubber melts. Good luck, John