6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Check Engine Light Came On!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 05:20 PM
Mark78F250
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check Engine Light Came On!!!

My first real problem with the truck. (04 CC PSD 4x4 SRW) While driving it a couple days ago it started having a problem. Barely noticable but was there. After stopping and waiting at a light for a few secods the idle would "stumble". I could feel it, but the tach didn't show anything. It lasted maybe 2 seconds. It started doing it just about everytime I stopped. During acceleration and normal driving there was no noticable problem. Last night the check engine light came on. I took it to the dealership this morning. After looking at it for over an hour the service writer told me that it was having a known problem to Ford that was only affecting California Emissions trucks. He said Ford is working on a fix and it was affecting thousands of 04 owners and that I should get something about it in the mail soon. He said that it was related to a problem with the allowable turbo boost and how it worked with the EGR. I asked him if the check engine light was still on he said no, because they flashed it. I was not happy about that because of all the problems I heard being caused by the reflash. When I left the dealership it seemed like it was a little louder than normal, but then again maybe it was my imagination since I was really listening for it to run different. It seems like its running okay right now, but I am going to be watching my gas milage a little closer now. It had been getting 16-17 mpg with a combined highway/city driving. I will be towing my 9000 lb travel trailer this weekend about 400 miles round trip and hope I don't have any problems.

Any thoughts, comments, or concerns I should have?

Old 08-31-2004, 09:20 AM
Mark78F250
Freshman User
Came On AGAIN!!

FTE Friends,
The check engine light came on again this morning on the way to work. I called the dealership and was told that I just have to wait until Ford comes out with this "fix" for the Turbo boost pressure/EGR issue. It makes me a little nervous to keep driving with the light on. I asked him if Ford had given him a date on when they thought the fix would be available. He said they were working on it and Ford would send something out when it was available.

Do any of you have any recommendations on if I should get a second opinion, or call Ford, or do something else?

Have any of you experienced this problem?

Thanks,
Mark

Old 08-31-2004, 09:59 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Uh...
is this the Exhaust back pressure sensor a few others have had to tell their dealers about ?

Can you get access to a code reader to see what the chk engine code is ?
Try Autozone - they'll do it for free...
or search for the dash panel method of reading the codes...

Last edited by jdadamsjr; 08-31-2004 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:07 PM
unclmike
New User
Thumbs down

I brought my 1/04 CC PSD LWB SRW in for oil leak diagnositic die check and told service writer not to reflash under any circumstance.Yeap they reflashed it and I saw my 16.8 to 17.3 local driving mpg go down to 13.6 to 14.2 mpg.The truck smells like it's alittle richer too plus,I would say louder as well.Turbo lag seem's more noticable and PCV doesn't seem to be able to handle the amount of blowby hence the new oil leaking at both intercooler hose's.Don't know how or what to think since reflash but ,It hasn't left me anywhere yeat!

Old 09-01-2004, 12:18 PM
Ford1TonsRock
Senior User
I live in San Diego county and have had that low idle cause my light to come on several times. Each time I check it, it's the turbo deal.

I started thinking of when it happens and figured out it was the diesel at a particular gas station that did it.

I picked up some diesel additive and a new tank of diesel from Chevron and all is well now.

Old 09-01-2004, 12:36 PM
Mark78F250
Freshman User
It's interesting you mention the diesel issue.

This problem started after I put about 100 miles on a new tank of fuel from Safeway, which is a very busy station. I have bought fuel there before and never had a problem.

On the way to work yesterday the light came on. At the end of the day I filled up again, and noticed the light went off right after I left the station. This time I got diesel from AM/PM. The light has not come on since.

So maybe I got a bad tank of diesel from Safeway.
Thanks,
Mark

Old 09-01-2004, 05:12 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Mark for what it is worth I drove mine for three months with the light on, it was delivered to me that way
...I know… I know.....should have read the manual...at any rate...thought it was part of the dash...it went out one day driving down the road and I promptly called the dealer.....so…keep on trucking….the dealer checked it reported no issue, could not detect anything… Does not mean there is nothing going on, but...

Old 09-10-2004, 07:05 PM
dieseldriver
Freshman User
My engine check light came on (and stayed on) while driving my 04 250 PSD home tonite. First time this has ever happened in almost 11000 miles of driving. I remembered reading a couple of FTE threads recently on this subject so immediately headed for the home computer to check things out. Interestingly, I also happen to have filled my tank this morning at my usual station....probably had about 4 or 5 miles on the new tank when I first noticed the light this evening. Hmmm! As luck would have, it's Friday and so I'll have to wait until Monday at the earliest to find a dealer and pull a code. Thanks to the members here, I'll go armed with some good info! I'll re-post then. The other thought I had was about my recent Blackstone oil anaysis: it warned me to keep an eye out for a possibly bad injector due to an increase of fuel in the oil. Does anyone out there know whether the check light might be related to that??

Old 09-10-2004, 07:21 PM
bighoss550
Posting Guru
all this talk of the light coming on after a fill-up..... it sounds like the evap may be throwing a code because of a loose or bad sealing fuel cap.

Old 09-10-2004, 07:59 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know I had a chk engine light after filling and Dooh - hadn't tighten the cap

Before I got the predator and so couldn't chk the code then....
but took the cap off and retightened and walla - no chk engine light !!!

Old 09-10-2004, 08:59 PM
dieseldriver
Freshman User
A loose fuel cap seems like something I could do.....just went outside to re-seat it but I still have the light! Like I said above, haven't been to a dealer yet because it's Friday nite but others have gotten a P2263 code which some dealers have said is some kind of software glitch and that Ford is working a solution. That may be, but on 5/30 one of our gurus, SBV45, quoted a bulletin relating to the P2263 code as follows:

Low Power/No boost and/or Code P2263:
If the turbocharger is suspected to be the cause of low boost, it should be tested by manually activating the variable geometry turbo control valve. The engine should be at operating temperature. Using the WDS active commands in datalogger, monitor EBP, VGT%, RPM abd MGP. Set the RPM to 1200 and the VGT% to 0 and record the EBP and MGP readings. Increase VGT to 85% and watch for an increase in EBP and MGP, and listen for a whistle from the turbo. If there is no pressure increase or whistle, check the control wiring for the VGT by installing a est light in the VGT harness and commanding the VGT from 0-85%--the light should be off and then slowly brighten. If the wiring checks out, replace the VGT control valve (P/N 3C3Z-6F089-AA) and retest. If the condition is unchanged, then replace the turbocharger. Broadcast Message 0887.
Engineering is currently investigating false P2263 codes. Broadcast Message 1290

With that in mind, I just got back from a little jaunt on one of our local highways.....very little. if any, turbo boost!!! Wish I had a set of gauges to measure and verify, but I know what boost feels like, and I ain't got it!