Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Strange Sounds at Rear

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 10:56 PM
phxflyboy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange Sounds at Rear

3 days ago I bought a 2004 4X4 Eddie Bauer Explorer with the 4.6L V8. I absolutely LOVE it but am encountering one of the weirdest sounds I have ever heard in a car, new or old. There is a sporadic moaning sound that seems to be coming from the 3rd row seating area. And perhaps moaning is not the best description. Sometimes it is so loud it actually sounds like a siren from a police car, and no, I'm not exaggerating. It happens at all different speeds and tonight even occurred at while nearly stopped. It is not the stereo, I had that turned off. I have the rear air conditioning but I also had that turned off. My next guess is the 4X4 system. I don't know a lot about them (this is my first 4X4) but tonight I had a VERY experienced off-roader with me and he said he has never heard the sound before.

ANY suggestions or even guesses would be helpful. Once again, when I say a loud noise, I mean to the point that when the stereo was on, it actually was louder than the stereo. I am calling the dealer tomorrow but was hoping for a little help.

Thanks for your time.

Old 08-30-2004, 07:21 AM
performancenut
New User
? Malfunctioning fuel pump? Sometimes the pump can have intermittent sound and pressure issues. Let us know what the dealer says.

Old 08-30-2004, 10:19 AM
CNY2004EB
New User
I also purchased a 04 Explorer EB 4x4 4.6L last week of July. I also love mine but I'm experiencing my own vibration problems but there is a lot of history with Explorer rear axel noises and vibrations. Take a look at the link to the National Highway Traffic and Safety Admin. (NHTSA) web site and look up the Technical Service Bulletins for an 04 Explorer. You'll find some interesting TSB about various noises and vibrations, at least one of which should be your problem. Good Luck, and let us know what the dealer says.

Old 08-30-2004, 12:26 PM
nymets78
Junior User
I have a 2004 Limited (bought in November) and had both the vibration at highway speeds as well as the ringing sounds in the rear. The ringing sounds in the rear come from the rear differential. Ford has designed a brand new version and it completely resolves the rear end noise. It was typically a high pitched noise on acceleration around 50 - 60 mph. Occationally it would happen on deceleration but the new rear end totally fixed the problem. In terms of the vibration, the Ford Rep who looked at it told the dealer to take the drive shaft from another Explorer on the lot and it has also worked beatifully. The Explorer runs great - no rear end noise and no vibration.

Old 08-30-2004, 04:27 PM
phxflyboy
New User
Thanks for the info, guys. I took it in to the dealer this morning and on the way I seemed to be able to isolate the problem. As soon as the noise started (and as nymets78 described, it is a high pitched whine) I turned off my a/c and the noise immediately stopped. I tried this several times and it worked each time. I was suspicious that the a/c might be the culprit on the way to work today so when I started the engine to drive to the dealer I purposely left the a/c off. No noise until I turned the a/c on. Hopefully it is just the a/c and not a drivetrain problem. I looked at the TSB's and saw that there were several involving "noises", thanks for the info. I will keep everybody updated. Once again, other than the noise, this truck is awesome. I don't think I've been in too many luxury cars I liked better!

Old 08-30-2004, 05:24 PM
nymets78
Junior User
Actually, i have noticed a whistle when my a/c is on as well. It is very random but only occurs when the A/C is on. It is clearly different than the rear end noise that was repaired a few months ago and definitely seems to be from the A/C or caused by it. I would be very interested to find out what they tell you.

Old 08-30-2004, 09:44 PM
phxflyboy
New User
Well, the news is not good so far. The service writer called me tonight and gave me the good news/bad news line.

Good News: The mechanics were able to find the problem. They described it as an unknown noise at the vents, caused when the a/c is on.

Bad News: There is no available fix for it. There is apparently a "national investigation" by Ford on it and they even have a report number for me but there is no fix at this time.

Bad News For Them: I told them that is fine, give me a different new vehicle. I have a meeting tomorrow morning with the service manager and general manager to discuss what we will be doing. Well I know one thing, the "me" part of the "we" won't be driving a truck I just paid $40,000 for and can't use the a/c in Arizona without howling noises. The truck has 174 miles on it, they can keep it until they figure out how to fix it but they can give me a replacement. They have an identical one on the lot, I know, I looked at both. The VIN's are even only 22 numbers off.

Oh well, the saga continues. I'll let you all know how things go tomorrow! Wish me luck.

Old 08-31-2004, 10:36 PM
phxflyboy
New User
Well everyone, I believe the saga is over. I met with the service people at the dealership this morning and sat in the office while they called the Ford engineers in Michigan and were told again that there is no fix for the problem. I told the service manager that was no problem, just give me a new vehicle. SO THEY DID!

The work was actually being done at the Lincoln/Mercury dealership owned by the same people. I met with them at 7:30 a.m. and by 5:00 p.m. they had taken the broken Explorer back to the Ford dealership (about 15 miles away), located an IDENTICAL model, moved all my personal belongings into the new one, and had the paperwork waiting for me to re-sign when I arrived.

Although it was a bit of a hassle and somewhat dissappointing, especially when spending this kind of money on a new vehicle, but I am quite happy with the results. Drove the new one at all kinds of different speeds tonight and not a noise out of it. I love the thing! Going on my first 4X4 trip in 3 days, can't wait.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and help.

phxflyboy

Old 11-11-2004, 04:48 PM
DEDON45
Freshman User
Originally Posted by nymets78
I have a 2004 Limited (bought in November) and had both the vibration at highway speeds as well as the ringing sounds in the rear. The ringing sounds in the rear come from the rear differential. Ford has designed a brand new version and it completely resolves the rear end noise. It was typically a high pitched noise on acceleration around 50 - 60 mph. Occationally it would happen on deceleration but the new rear end totally fixed the problem. In terms of the vibration, the Ford Rep who looked at it told the dealer to take the drive shaft from another Explorer on the lot and it has also worked beatifully. The Explorer runs great - no rear end noise and no vibration.
Hey... was there any TSB on that issue? My 2002 has had the whine (same speeds listed,etc) since I bought it, though it's not very loud most of the time... the dealer at the time said it was normal.. I drove another one, did teh same thing. I had to rent a 2004 once when mine was in the shop, the noise was 10 times louder!

Old 11-11-2004, 05:20 PM
nymets78
Junior User
yes, there was a tsb on that. it was 17054.

Old 01-17-2005, 07:04 AM
HighlandCelt
Freshman User
Red face ummm...

I always thought moaning from the back seat was a good thing??

peace,
da Celt

Old 01-17-2005, 01:34 PM
DEDON45
Freshman User
Hmmm I can't seem to find that TSB number on ALLDATA... any ideas?

Old 01-23-2005, 02:41 PM
wdarne
New User
I have an 02 Eddie Bauer 4x4 V6. Mine made a weird whining noise. It turned out they had to replace the entire rear end/axle assy. Design flaw or something. They redesigned it and are replacing them as owners complain about them. I would get it checked out whether you still have your warranty or not. Could have been extended.