Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Aerostar performance

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2002, 03:14 PM
SOBCspeed
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aerostar performance

Hello everybody, I have just opened up a small speed shop in British Columbia, Canada, and I am working on my parts hauler right now.

It's an 86 SWB Aerostar, with a 2.8 liter carbed V6, and 4LD tranny. The engine is tired, the torque converter is dying, and I'm not sure what condition the tranny is in. Being a hotrodder, the solution is obvious, swap in more powerful drivetrain.

There are lots of Explorers and Aerostars kicking around the junkyard, with 4.0L V6s, and the electronic 4WD drivetrain. I want to know, is it possible/not incredibly difficult to swap over? I do have a speed shop, so it had better haul ***!

Old 08-26-2002, 11:24 AM
biederboat
Elder User
Aerostar performance

My answer would be yes, it must be incredibly difficult. I know there were some chassis changes along the ways and I'm sure their are mounting provisions that are not incorporated into your design (AWD wasn't available until later). I would have to say, as cheap as Aerostars are, it would be much easier to just by one already equiped.

Good luck,
Mark

Old 08-28-2002, 12:06 AM
SOBCspeed
Junior User
Aerostar performance

I looked for one, and I've only found extended wheelbase models with 4WD. I have been looking around, and it looks like I could use a 4L with a C5, and run it through an Aerostar transfer case, or one out of a late explorer. I'm going to try to find a SOHC 4L, just for a higher revving engine.

Old 08-28-2002, 06:49 PM
biederboat
Elder User
Aerostar performance

If you're looking for an AWD regular lenght, I think they only made them in 93 and 94, maybe 95. I do have one and have seen a few others so I know they were made, usually not too many options.

Mark

Old 08-30-2002, 07:01 AM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aerostar performance

Just throwing out a wild suggestion. How about a V8? Perhaps the new modular V8's smaller than the old pushrod versions. Maybe a 4.6 would fit. On the other hand, the engine I always wanted in an Aerostar is a 300 straight six:7.

INLINE SIX POWER! '95 F150 XL
300 Cubic Inches of Low RPM Truck Torque! And twin-I-beams too!
"Drive a stick young man! There'll be time for automatics when you're old and unable."

Old 08-31-2002, 10:17 PM
MarkP
Senior User
Aerostar performance

Engine swapping has come up before. Due to the tight constraints of the Aerostars engine compartment, choices are few without modifications to the firewall etc. In the following thread from awhile back, I mentioned an article on a swap of a 3.8L 220hp supercharged T-bird v-6 done by Boyd Cottingtons shop to thier '86 or '87 ASerostar cargo shop van. The magazine (Febuary 1992 Truckin' pages 184-186) didn't get very detailed on the swap, only showing one photo from the front. The interior shots didn't show any mods to the firewall however, and it looks like they kept the 5sp manual transmission. Not much more technical detail was provided. Just food for thought, really.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/dcforum/aerostar/25.html

-Mark

Old 09-03-2002, 06:09 AM
SOBCspeed
Junior User
Aerostar performance

Thanks! Also, the new 4.6 is wider because it's OHC... I don't think it would fit if the 5.0 won't. I'll see if a 5.0 will fit, but I'd rather have one of those nice new 4.0 SOHC motors.

Old 09-05-2002, 11:27 AM
inferi
Freshman User
Aerostar performance

As it was noted, the engine compartment is tight. A 60 degree V motor is really the easiest swap. I'd look for a Taurus 3.0 or 3.2 SHO motor. I think they have about 220 plus horsepower in stock Taurus app's. Another Taurus engine could be the 3.4 SHO V-8 I think it has 235 hp. The 3 and 3.2 liter 6's as I've heard will bolt up to a 4ld trans.
I know the newer Rangers and Explorers use a 4 liter SOHC with 207 hp. There's some options for ya to mull over. If you do it, please post the finished results!

Old 09-09-2002, 06:12 AM
SOBCspeed
Junior User
Aerostar performance

Thanks for suggestions. I want to make it AWD eventually, but for now I think it will be RWD.

I think I will be using the 4.0 and 5 speed auto for now. I need to find some stronger connecting rods for the 4.0 before I can really build it.

Old 09-15-2002, 10:47 PM
Paddy D
Freshman User
Aerostar performance

How come I always find this stuff out too late. I had a 94 SHO untill I wrecked it a year ago. I would have kept the motor and droped it in if i knew. But has anyone ever done the SHO swap???? If they have let me know b/c I'm going to be all over that now. My goal is the eventualy have a 13 sec aerostar, and theis would help.

93'Aerostar XLT. Cherrybomb glasspack, dual 3" tip, K&N drop in, Super white blikers, fog lights, and headlights, Street Glow kit under it, mutiple neons inside, 1st van in Alababma Custom truck club, oh yeah i run a 11.5 1/8 and mid 16's on my 1/4.

Old 10-01-2002, 04:14 AM
SOBCspeed
Junior User
Aerostar performance

13s should be no problem with a well built 4.0 and all the stuff in the back taken out. I have seen 2.8 liter cologne engines making 300hp, so it can't be too hard to get 400hp out of a 4.0

Apparently the crank is good for at least 350 hp, one guy with a Capri is using a stock 4.0 crank to make his 2.8i a 3.7 liter stroker. The rods are supposed to be the first thing to give out, but I don't know where to find any.

Old 10-01-2002, 11:29 AM
Paddy D
Freshman User
Aerostar performance

Well what do you think you could pull out of a 3.0??? thats what im running. And tell me some stuf i need to do b/c the obvious blot on's are all iv done so far.

93'Aerostar XLT. Cherrybomb glasspack, dual 3" tip, K&N drop in, Super white blikers, fog lights, and headlights, Street Glow kit under it, mutiple neons inside, 1st van in Alababma Custom truck club, oh yeah i run a 11.5 1/8 and mid 16's on my 1/4.

Old 10-13-2002, 05:28 AM
scott9050
Senior User
Aerostar performance

>Thanks! Also, the new 4.6 is wider because it's OHC... I
>don't think it would fit if the 5.0 won't. I'll see if a
>5.0 will fit, but I'd rather have one of those nice new 4.0
>SOHC motors.

Yep, the 4.6 is as wide as a 460 big block.

Old 10-15-2002, 11:33 PM
SOBCspeed
Junior User
Aerostar performance

I haven't seen any parts for the 3.0, it's not really a performance engine. I have seen plenty of parts for the 4.0, because it's a Cologne V6, and all the parts are available in Europe. There are plenty of people in Europe, England especially with 2.8 Capris, who have been building them for the last 20 years.

One guy said he used a 4.0 crank in a 2.8, resulting in a 3.7 liter stroker. It used the stock K jet CIS, and made something like 360 hp!

Old 10-16-2002, 06:12 AM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aerostar performance

>
> Well what do you think you could pull out of a 3.0???
>thats what im running. And tell me some stuf i need to do
>b/c the obvious blot on's are all iv done so far.

I just looked in the FTE engine forums and the 3.0 is not even listed. However, there are a lot of Ranger pickups with 3.0s in them and I suspect a lot more Ranger owners modify their engines than do Aerostar owners (presumably minivan owners are less performance oriented and it is a lot easier to do in a Ranger engine bay). You may want to check the Ranger pickup forum for 3.0 performance mods.

Quick Reply: Aerostar performance